IGNORED

Slide (working title) new wip game for 2600

vhzc

4 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

1326. I think I can do better, but not tonight.

The new room numbers look great!

Several obstacles can be avoided without having to react to them:

Yes, I've recorded footage of my doing this exact same moves and sent them over to VHZC to see if he is okay with the timings on these rooms etc. But you are correct in your spoilers and that is how I've been getting the quick scores. My controllers of choice with this game are using my Retrogameboiz NES style 7800 controller and my Epyx 500xj. Basically anything with a short throw for better quick accurate control is needed here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

1326. I think I can do better, but not tonight.

The new room numbers look great!

Several obstacles can be avoided without having to react to them:

Hi

Thanks for testing and feddback!

Not a fan of spoilers, even if you put as hidden. Please next time send me a PM.

And I am Ok in general with some obstacles being avoidable (though maybe I could/should review some). I mean the game is a mix of puzzle and action, so being able to figure out a way out that is safer and quicker in the limited time given to you IS what the game is about. Various of the methods you posted are based in understand the obstacle pattern and using timing/pausing, that is in fact reacting to them.

Having said that, I am always trying to improve the difficulty balance so I'll check those levels :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes, I've recorded footage of my doing this exact same moves and sent them over to VHZC to see if he is okay with the timings on these rooms etc. But you are correct in your spoilers and that is how I've been getting the quick scores. My controllers of choice with this game are using my Retrogameboiz NES style 7800 controller and my Epyx 500xj. Basically anything with a short throw for better quick accurate control is needed here.

Yeah, playing with controllers with d-pad works great with this type game.

22 minutes ago, vhzc said:

Hi

Thanks for testing and feddback!

Not a fan of spoilers, even if you put as hidden. Please next time send me a PM.

And I am Ok in general with some obstacles being avoidable (though maybe I could/should review some). I mean the game is a mix of puzzle and action, so being able to figure out a way out that is safer and quicker in the limited time given to you IS what the game is about. Various of the methods you posted are based in understand the obstacle pattern and using timing/pausing, that is in fact reacting to them.

Having said that, I am always trying to improve the difficulty balance so I'll check those levels :)

OK, I deleted the spoilers and PM'd them to you. Certainly whether to adjust those screens is up to you, I just wanted to let you know about those paths.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pat Brady said:

OK, I deleted the spoilers and PM'd them to you. Certainly whether to adjust those screens is up to you, I just wanted to let you know about those paths.

He is aware of them as I stated I was already doing these exact same things and send him video of it the other day. I haven't done the latest WIP yet as I'm still trying to find the quickest paths through these newer screens.

• Like 1

Actual hardware. Also for the first time I saw the difference when entering the secret room with all lives. Nice!

Not sure I can get any faster than this. Especially on actual hardware where the timings are just a slight tiny different compared to emulation. This is especially true if you lose a life and redo the screen as the timings do change just a bit doing this. Sometimes for the better heh.

20210217_145617[1].jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

There seems to be a timing issue with your console (left side of rightmost score digit).

What would cause that as I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out? I do know that the TIA in this 7800 is one of the odd ones that requires a controller in port 2 or some 7800 games will do odd things but never known it to cause an issue with 2600 games? I do have C64 disabled on this console as well, which again would only effect 2600 games to the best of my knowledge?

I video captured my playthrough sessions including when I got this score. What I see in looking at the score is that the last digit will occasionally show these odd extra pixels and other times it appears to be normal? The #4 seems to show something the worst but until you had mentioned I didn't notice it. Let me connect up my other 7800 that is my test unit. It is RF only though so not as likely to do as well giving the lag my TV will generate in the upscale but at least I can see if the score issues remain.

25 minutes ago, vitoco said:

That crosbow bonus will happen for both 3 and 4 lives, because of the previous line (2726). Was that by design?

Yes, the bonus unlock when you find the room and have at least the same number of lives that you get when start the game. In normal game you start with 3 lives, but the max of lives possible is 4 in both modes.

14 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

What would cause that as I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out?

No idea. It is something which currently is not emulated by Stella. And I cannot identify where the wrong top and bottom pixel come from.

Maybe, if you post more scores we can identify a pattern.

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No idea. It is something which currently is not emulated by Stella. And I cannot identify where the wrong top and bottom pixel come from.

Maybe, if you post more scores we can identify a pattern.

Again in my video I captured of the playthrough for this score, I see the last score digit occasionally do this between screens. I saw it first happen when the last digit was '4' where it had an extra pixel being shown at the nose of the '4' and saw it do it on a few more digits after that, then it clears up and looks fine for a screen or two, and then comes back. It did that throughout play and even just a few screens before completing the beta the score looked correct on the number '8' and then gets goofy again and stayed that way. So it is doesn't occur at any particular time and it doesn't stay since it comes and goes as I play. Again, I hadn't even noticed it until you mentioned it but I've played this mostly in emulation and only a few times on my actual 7800.

18 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Either Easy mode has gotten easier, or I have gotten better. For me this is a good score. I'm really digging this game.  ? 

slideboy_wip_20210215.thumb.png.4a588b0182bffd08476ba4a06b0f71b5.png

I made no changes in difficulty after I set both modes, so you are improving.

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew has an EXCLUSIVE WIP UPDATE for SLIDE BOY IN MAZE LAND on tomorrow's (Fri Feb 19, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1