IGNORED

What controllers can I buy?

82-T/A

So, when I ordered my VCS with the backer campaign, I got the classic (I guess? black one), with the very cool new retro version of the classic joystick... which is really cool, mind you. I am wishing I had ALSO purchased the other controller. I want one, but I'm literally moving in 3 months to another state, and don't want to run the risk of it not getting delivered. I'll order one after I move.

Question is, are there any controllers I can buy and use with the VCS now, other than the nice one that came with it? Some of the games I just bought in the VCS store use the additional buttons, and it would be super nice to support that.

Thanks!

I understand you can use XBox 360 controllers wired, XBox One controllers, PS3 and PS4 controllers.  You can also use whatever USB controller you have around as the VCS works like a PC in that regard.  I have not tested anything but there is a ton of help on the founders Discord with regard to this.  If you are on there just do a search.

The majority of people would say a Bluetooth Xbox controller. They work well.

I found that that Nintendo Pro Controller works perfectly well as a substitute for most things.
All is well, except for button names - A/B, X/Y swapped, but bottom button still bottom button.
Oh, and a different position for the 2nd analogue stick, but that's a matter of personal taste.
The - button is back, + is menu (=), and the Wii-U Home maps to the Atari VCS Home too.

Also, it does not wake-up the VCS, so far, like the official one does, from sleep, at this time.

There is a thread about controllers... with more details.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I think I'll probably pick one up if I drive by a GameStop somewhere and see what they have. I'm going to reach out to Atari and see if it's OK if I order one, and whether or not they can change my address before shipping.

JustClaws... I see you're from the Netherlands. That's where my dad's from. Half my family is from there. He still has a thick Dutch accent, even after 52 years of being in the US. Growing up, we used to visit (mostly Holland) pretty much every summer. Love the food, the parks, everything.

• Like 2

I've used the Dualshock 3 and 4 on the VCS without any issue, with a USB wired hookup. The 4 sends the audio into the controller, though, so that could be an issue for you, but it also lets you use the touch pad for a mouse, which is quite nice sometimes. 

I have NOT been able to get Switch Joycons working. Could be I don't know what I'm doing, but it just won't pair. 

I have NOT been able to get the Hyperkin Trooper II to work on the VCS, which is a bummer, because it would be a good alternative while we wait for more Classic Joysticks to be available to buy and get. 

I also have a super old generic USB gamepad, some $10 Best Buy special from like 2005, and it recognizes just fine. 

I have NOT been able to get the Dualshock 5 ("Dualsense") controller to work on the VCS. Kind of a bummer, but the 4 is probably what I'll end up using anyway since my PS4 is no longer my main TV driver. 

• Like 1