IGNORED

QuadTari

gauauu

After a few years of false starts, and a lot of help from Camp Games, @ChildOfCv, @Danjovic, and others, the QuadTari is finally finished!

The QuadTari is a multi-tap adapter that allows up to 4 controllers can be attached to the Atari. (It can also be used to allow 2 joysticks and an AtariVox, for example, to allow for 2-player games to also have voice audio).

Currently supported games include Champ Games' Galagon, Wizard of Wor, and Zookeepr (2 joysticks + Atarivox), and my QuadGames (4 joysticks, but currently is rom-only). Champ Games has a number of upcoming games that plan to support it as well: Gorf Arcade, RobotWar:2684, Lady Bug Arcade, and Champ Sports Baseball.

Additional information, including purchasing, is available at my Bite the Chili Website. 

I still have a few devices earmarked as giveaways for developers who are interested in making games for the QuadTari, so please contact me if you are interested.

adapter.jpg

Edited by gauauu
  • Like 21

52 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Very cool!  Has this been tested on non-2600 Ataris?

I've only tested on various 2600's, but @johnnywc has tested on a number of devices. I'm trying to keep the FAQ updated on the website with information about compatibility, but a short version:

- The 7800 works in 2600 mode, and works in 1-button mode, but doesn't support multiple buttons
- It doesn't work on the Retron 77 or Collectorvision Phoneix
- Probably would work on Atari 8-bit systems, but untested. (someone would need to write some software to support it)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gauauu said:

- It doesn't work on the Retron 77...

Have you tested with the very latest release? The R77 now allows switching between paddle and joystick controllers without rebooting. Maybe the change helps the QuadTari too.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Have you tested with the very latest release? The R77 now allows switching between paddle and joystick controllers without rebooting. Maybe the change helps the QuadTari too.

Hi TJ!

I'll give this a shot and post my results here. :) 

Thanks!

John

• Like 1

A while back, @RevEng posted about using the 8Bitdo bluetooth wireless receiver for the Sega Genesis successfully with the Atari 2600 (and 7800). I've been using this as my main way to play 2600 and 7800 games for months now. Since I got my QuadTari, I thought I'd try hooking up both of my receivers to the left half of the QuadTari. It worked just fine when testing my 4-player game. Now I have to decide if I'm crazy enough to want to get 2 more bluetooth receivers and seagull 78 adapters to be able to play 4-player Atari games with my family comfortably from my couch.  :D

Regardless, I thought it might be of interest to anyone who wondered if such a setup would work.

• Like 5

Got a quick test in with Galagon. The cart recognized my Savekey and the QuadTari. I tested two players and co-op and it worked just as expected. Also confirmed that the Savekey recorded my high scores while playing with the QuadTari setup.

I’ll test more this weekend. I’d like to try Wizard of War with four joysticks and I want to try Robotwar:2684 with Edladdin SuperTwin joystick.

QuadTari wGalagon.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about multi button controllers? Has anyone ever thought about combining two joystick inputs into one controller? So that you have e.g. a directional stick plus lots of buttons (6 in total). Or a directional joystick and a hat with two buttons.

I know this would have worked without a QuadTari. But now you can do 2-player games too.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How about multi button controllers? Has anyone ever thought about combining two joystick inputs into one controller? So that you have e.g. a directional stick plus lots of buttons (6 in total). Or a directional joystick and a hat with two buttons.

I know this would have worked without a QuadTari. But now you can do 2-player games too.

If you could create a new joystick with 16 directions - 8 directions made from each inpit- and have two fire buttons, then you'd have a near Intellivision controller made for an Atari. 

Another possibility is to make an adapter for the the 6-button Genesis controller, so you'd have the d-pad as one directional input and the 6 buttons mapped to the 2 fire buttons and the 4 directions on the other input. 

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How about multi button controllers? Has anyone ever thought about combining two joystick inputs into one controller? So that you have e.g. a directional stick plus lots of buttons (6 in total).

Street Fighter II: 2600!

(Only need one sprite per character, one missile each for projectiles, it's perfect)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jstick said:

Street Fighter II: 2600!

There's a number of one-on-one fighting games being developed for the 2600 right now that could be adapted to work well for this!

Using the QuadTari you could attach two of these Ultimate Joysticks with extra buttons for some incredible two player gaming action. This could have applications in a TON of games such as shooters or platformers as you could have buttons for jump, shooting, changing weapons, etc.

By adapting the second joystick input you could have 5 buttons with the basic U+D+L+R+Fire and even WAY more if you want to multiplex them. U, D, L, R, FIRE, U+L, U+R, D+L, D+R, U+L+FIRE, U+R+FIRE, D+L+FIRE, D+R+FIRE = 13 and even more if combos like L+R or U+D are allowed.

The right approach is exactly how the QuadTari was done, with having a game developer (or a number of developers) work alongside the hardware developer so there are a ton of games to demo the awesomeness of it when it comes out.

- James

23 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I guess that means someone needs start on Steel Battalion for Atari 2600 - Quatari. Won’t exactly get 2 controllers and 40 buttons, but 2 sticks and 10 buttons ain’t bad. ?

3389412vx3l31.jpg