IGNORED

Season 18 Round 13 of 15 - P.O.W. Prisoners of War

asponge

Time to take on GOON as an undercover POW code named: Bart.  A couple of quick tips:  Enter the huts to fight enemies for power-ups.  Press the d-pad in the opposite direction you're facing plus B to perform a backwards punch.

1862073265_POWCartridge.png.b76827bf53f0f52646273366b28c8c72.png 1367094916_POWScreenshot.png.8815c50f4b7f5d6671ef0829c1349226.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday February 21 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

29,600 by 8th lutz posted on 4/10/2007

Scores as of 2/18:

mbd30        234,000
Razzie.P     220,500
fakecortex     7,000
roadrunner     6,000
jblenkle       3,100

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.88a22264f76a98f82b0d38c82fa7f313.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

• Like 1

Here's a game I've had since I was a kid, but haven't played in forever. Nor do I remember getting very far. The score goes away too quickly for a pic, so it's honor system here kids. Well, until I beat the default high I guess.

How about how you clear out a building and leave and then enemies come out. Hey, I cleared you guys out! I also like how when you hit someone with a gun, they go flying and die. 

4 hours ago, fakecortex said:

WOW! Nice job!!

Thanks! This is the second time I've done a 1cc of this game. The first time was a 2019 NintendoAge contest.

For those having trouble, when dealing with multiple tough enemies, try to avoid getting between them. When an enemy is quickly coming at you, move the hell out of the way. You'll get the hang of the enemy patterns and when they're about to attack. Do your best to hold on to the armor and brass knuckles. You might also want to try holding on to the gun and save the bullets for when you need it, but I find that combat is a lot more difficult when carrying the gun.

Watch out for knife throwers when you don't have armor. They just walk along and turn around and chuck a knife right at you, and it does a ton of damage. They're not too hard to spot. Also watch out for motorcycles and grenade tossers. They're in the same places every time so just memorize when they're coming and the best path to avoid them. Jump kicking is a useful evasion tactic too.

The scuba divers in stage two always pop up behind you. You can see where they're going to appear so just be quick to turn around and punch, or use the backwards punch.

If you reach the second boss, just keep jump kicking him. The grenades he throws will always be instant death but armor protects against the gun.

If you somehow reach the third boss, just keep punching him as fast as you can. The goal is to knock him off the elevator. If you can make it that far when you're ready to deal with the rest of the game.

• Thanks 1

220,500  --  game completed!  Prison escaped and, for some reason, I got the girl (according to the ending) --- but I'm not sure how she played into all this.   I'm also not entirely sure how I defeated the final boss. I was on my last sliver of health, running away, he jumped, landed, and just flopped over -- I was near the opposite side of the screen.  He was a big ol' feller, though.  Maybe he had a hard time catching me (I was running around like a puss, afraid to go toe-to-toe) and his heart gave out.

I accidentally saved over my score screenshot with this.  I saw it, cracked up, and hit "print screen" in a panic

POW_Congrats.thumb.jpg.7bd2fe5ca3998c4c35475351a8e767ae.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

220,500  --  game completed!  Prison escaped and, for some reason, I got the girl (according to the ending) --- but I'm not sure how she played into all this.   I'm also not entirely sure how I defeated the final boss. I was on my last sliver of health, running away, he jumped, landed, and just flopped over -- I was near the opposite side of the screen.  He was a big ol' feller, though.  Maybe he had a hard time catching me (I was running around like a puss, afraid to go toe-to-toe) and his heart gave out.

I accidentally saved over my score screenshot with this.  I saw it, cracked up, and hit "print screen" in a panic

POW_Congrats.thumb.jpg.7bd2fe5ca3998c4c35475351a8e767ae.jpg

Good job! Nice to see someone else beat this.