IGNORED

2600 Connection gone???

O.K. is the 2600 Connection done for?   I haven't recieved any issues in over 8 months.  Any one else get this newsletter?

minorleagueguy

Trust me they are still active. just behind schedule Russ should be sending another one out after CGE I would guess.

until then check out their website:

http://2600connection.atari.org/

for more info

Dan Iacovelli

• 2 months later...

Former 2600 connection subcriber here...

The reason I dropped it was simply because of this very thing. Russ take some advice either let someone help you out when your too busy or what to help you put the newsletter out or drop the whole thing all together. To me it was a 6 month wait between issues what did it for me. I can not help but wonder if you have any subscribers left after 8 months...

I don't care when they get here, as long as it eventually comes. Seems to me most Atari newsletters have that problem like the DP newsletter which has been behind several times, but that never seems to bother me. I guess I'm willing to wait for a quality rather than rushed newsletter (and willing to cut my friends a little slack).

Tempest

That's exactly it. I mean, I COULD be less far behind on the newsletter, but I'd be behind on other things in my life, and some of those things I couldn't afford to be behind on.

Also, I have content, because I DO have people helping me out. But trying to put it together -- especially nicely, with themes behind them, which sometimes I'm good at, sometimes I'm not -- is the hard part, and finding someone else to help with THAT isn't going to do me much good.

Maybe if I charged enough to make a living at it I could be more regular, but it would cost so much that I wouldn't have any subscribers.

Tell you what though... I've been thinking about giving the newsletter up, though out of a sense of symmetry, I'd like to make it to issue 100 before I did so, and I'm just shy of halfway there now. But, who would be interested in taking it over if I did give it up? Any volunteers? Send a "resume" explaining why you're the one.

Barring that, I could potentially take on a list of people who'd be interested in writing reviews (especially of newly released homebrews and hacks) and/or articles, and a list of people who might be interested in compiling the News & Notes.

Anybody interested can email me at the address given below. I'm not saying anything will happen with it, or happen soon, but at least I'll have an idea how many people would be willing to help. (And I should note that I have plenty of people who've asked in the past if they could write something, but I'm not going to be full of ideas, so if you DO, you're going to be more sought after than others who don't probably).

That's exactly it.  I mean, I COULD be less far behind on the newsletter, but I'd be behind on other things in my life, and some of those things I couldn't afford to be behind on.

Also, I have content, because I DO have people helping me out.  But trying to put it together -- especially nicely, with themes behind them, which sometimes I'm good at, sometimes I'm not -- is the hard part, and finding someone else to help with THAT isn't going to do me much good.

Maybe if I charged enough to make a living at it I could be more regular, but it would cost so much that I wouldn't have any subscribers.

Tell you what though...  I've been thinking about giving the newsletter up, though out of a sense of symmetry, I'd like to make it to issue 100 before I did so, and I'm just shy of halfway there now.  But, who would be interested in taking it over if I did give it up?  Any volunteers?  Send a "resume" explaining why you're the one.

Barring that, I could potentially take on a list of people who'd be interested in writing reviews (especially of newly released homebrews and hacks) and/or articles, and a list of people who might be interested in compiling the News & Notes.

Anybody interested can email me at the address given below.  I'm not saying anything will happen with it, or happen soon, but at least I'll have an idea how many people would be willing to help.  (And I should note that I have plenty of people who've asked in the past if they could write something, but I'm not going to be full of ideas, so if you DO, you're going to be more sought after than others who don't probably).

Russ,

I hear you, I do most of the the atari zone on my own right now

(I remember when I had lots of help especialy from jeff adkins when

I started going national ) at times I too thought about giving up but I figured to continue it and since I convert the doc file to PDF first and post on my website before the print get sent out (which doesn't have many subrcribers as we did when before (back in the late 80's we had 30+ and for every one we lose we gain two more,but now it down to 9 (the JCU list isn't counting in that plus we also have those who get the pdf e-mail them)

so what ever you decide russ, I support you.

Dan Iacovelli

As a long time subscriber, I keep all my issues in three binders that are broken up into sets of 25 (ie. 1-25, 26-50, 51-present). I think you could leave off at 75 issues and that'd be a very respectable stopping point. After all, 2600C was a very necessary purchase back before the net (and even in the earlier days of the net) when there was no other way to network with other collectors and nowhere else to get news.

These days, sites like AA and DP have, for better or worse, taken that mantle and carry it well, with important news spread amongst collectors within minutes instead of months. I'll always gladly subscribe if you put them out, but I wouldn't think any less of you, the great job you've been doing with the zine, or the zine itself if you called it a day.

Everyoe's personal life changes, and projects like a zine take a lot of time. With jobs, spouses and in some cases kids, zine publishers have to make hard decisions (I know from whence I speak, as I had to eventually kill off a few zines I did because of those reasons and because the net made them redundant). Give yourself permission to end it if that's what you want; I suspect that somewhere inside, that's the case.

Clive :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...