IGNORED

Vaults of Nhyrmeth Demo

clth

I also agree that default font looks... default. It has great readability, but lacks aesthetic. I'd propose to some balanced font though - I got some negative comments about usability in "His Dark Majesty" ( example ) with font not enough readable esp. for people bad at English language. 

There is a nice series of articles about typography in games: https://medium.com/the-space-ape-games-experience/videogame-typography-part-1-effectiveness-ddc8d344139d

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, clth said:

There were suggestions that monochrome graphics doesn't quite do justice to atari hardware ... So I've tried do kind of quick conversion to mode 4. It feels pretty different compared to B/W, environment clearly looks better but not so sprite graphics. What do you think?

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

nhyrdemo_mode4.atr 90.02 kB · 19 downloads

like... remember A8 monochrome = artefacts colours and esp. on PAL "blurry".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

like... remember A8 monochrome = artefacts colours and esp. on PAL "blurry".

Is that good or not? :) I've quite tested monochrome version on PAL Atari with Sony CRT and artefacting was pretty acceptable.

3 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

and mode4 esp. RPG with status bars cry for PMs overlay/underlays to improve and distinct areas of view.

I guess there is lots of possibilities for various tricks, however this is my first Atari(and 8-bit actually too) project so I dont have much of a experience with these. Can you maybe be bit more specific? Thanks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, clth said:

Not much new - bit of UI changes, main view now uses 4 shades of gray and sprites are fully masked. Masking is quite costly so I am now in process to make all things somewhat less slow.

Screenshot_2021-05-30_20-27-39.png

Previously the game looked great and now even better! Looking forward to see what's next.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, xxl said:

I have a remark that after pressing "TAB" the "SPACE" key should act as "RETURN"

---

can a spider change floors? 

That was already suggested, stuff like this will be addressed in next big release. I just wanted to somehow settle visual aspects.

Every enemy should move, i guess some might get stuck but it never happened to me :)

Edited by clth

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

Cool!

Would it be possible to remove background box from the bag too?

Vaults.png.a8dd7d998b1df979fdbda99d15866b4b.png

Yes but it would require some bigger changes in code, currently is masking hardcoded for sprites only which are treated quite differently compared to walls etc.

3 hours ago, clth said:

Yes but it would require some bigger changes in code, currently is masking hardcoded for sprites only which are treated quite differently compared to walls etc.

you could use a dithered pattern around it or enlarge the bag data to a square with black around it maybe. Other choice might be to just print over the unwanted bit after you stamp it there. no need to re write the whole thing prolly

• Like 1

have you considered this control model? i noticed that if i have a switch on the wall next to it i have to do 3 steps: L turn, step forward, R turn.
one step would be enough:

ster.jpg

On 7/17/2021 at 1:14 AM, clth said:

Bags are a bit of a special case, and they are vertically separated from your use of P/M graphics - so make a bag a P/M object maybe?

2 hours ago, xxl said:

have you considered this control model? i noticed that if i have a switch on the wall next to it i have to do 3 steps: L turn, step forward, R turn.
one step would be enough:

ster.jpg

Also already suggested earlier in this thread. Next big release will have this alongside other things. Last two "releases" were more tests how far I can get with current version in graphics area and no new features compared to first B/W one were added.

2 hours ago, gnusto said:

Bags are a bit of a special case, and they are vertically separated from your use of P/M graphics - so make a bag a P/M object maybe?

Thats another possibility. However similarly as with custom font, It is more like nice to have feature currently :)

12 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

I have to admit, this is the best looking homebrew on the old 8-Bit. Hell, I've even e-mailed this to a friend who has an Atari 800.

Well, I am not very sure about "best looking" part but it is nice to hear it that way :)

• 3 months later...