IGNORED

THEC64 Maxi on eBay

StephenJ

17 minutes ago, Swami said:

$43 economy shipping. Pfft. Can they just use whatever value for shipping they want? Battery warming mittens, only $9.99, plus $50 shipping and handling.

The shipping is only $24 for me. The seller is in Maryland and I am in NJ. $43 may just be the price for the size of that package from MD to you in MN.

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

The shipping is only $24 for me. The seller is in Maryland and I am in NJ. $43 may just be the price for the size of that package from MD to you in MN.

Commodore C64 with disk drive from Maryland. $16.30 expedited.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-computer-system/114673908979?hash=item1ab318fcf3:g:kf4AAOSwKlNgIciv

9 hours ago, Swami said:

Well, to put it simply, that guy screwed up. As someone who ships a LOT all around the country I can tell you for a fact that he will very quickly find he made a huge error somewhere. You are not shipping a C64 and a heavy 1541 disk drive half way across the country for $16 and change.....and expedited no less. It's going to cost that guy $50 UPS ground.

Shipping is not cheap nowadays. Resources are limited due to covid, social distancing measures, etc. And, regardless of that, shipping has been high. For large packages UPS Ground has been the best option. For smaller items...if it can fit in a USPS Priority mail box that is a good choice generally.

OMG, he's got it set to priority mail:

image.thumb.png.3aa60c83bd6afecc0d9863d8e68922f7.png

I guess he'll ship me a C64 and a drive for $12 ;)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eightbit said:

I guess he'll ship me a C64 and a drive for $12 ;)

I have found a lot of ebay sellers to be dishonest on their shipping weight. Apparently if the seller sets the weight at a pound or so they can get a cheaper label. I've had 5-10 pound packages come through where the label says 0.00 pounds.

I've sold a ton of stuff on ebay and would never do this for fear of wasting time and money, and my package being undeliverable because the post office actually checked the weight.

2 hours ago, StephenJ said:

Hello,
This is my listing.
The package is 24"x14"x10" @ (Approx.) 10 lbs...and this is what I entered into the listing.
I also chose [USPS Retail Ground - 2 to 9 business days].

The listing adjusts the shipping price per the location of the buyer.

Best of health,

Stephen

I believe it Stephen. As a said earlier, shipping is expensive nowadays.

The only way I am able to get the discounts that I do for folks here on AA is because I use www.paypal.com/shipnow . I believe you need a Paypal business account to use it (I have one) however. Without that, yeah, a Maxi going from NJ to MN would be around $40 so the ebay calculation is correct. With my discount it would probably be around $30.

3 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

I have found a lot of ebay sellers to be dishonest on their shipping weight. Apparently if the seller sets the weight at a pound or so they can get a cheaper label. I've had 5-10 pound packages come through where the label says 0.00 pounds.

I've sold a ton of stuff on ebay and would never do this for fear of wasting time and money, and my package being undeliverable because the post office actually checked the weight.

They definitely check the weight (as does UPS and FedEx). I know this as sometimes I receive an email stating that the dimensions or weight were a little off and they have charged the difference to my paypal account. But even that is shady. A few times they said the dimensions were off on 22x22x22 boxes I shipped. But those boxes are labeled 22x22x22 and that is the size sold from where I purchased them (home depot)!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, Swami said:

I've shipped enough myself to tell you they're losing money on shipping with that one, or you're getting poorly packed, broken trash. Take your pick.

5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I've shipped enough myself to tell you they're losing money on shipping with that one, or you're getting poorly packed, broken trash. Take your pick.

Well, sometimes shipping is free, it which case I imagine it is added to the price of the item being sold. In other cases, it looks like the price is low, but the shipping is higher, so, you never really know.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 11:56 AM, eightbit said:

They definitely check the weight (as does UPS and FedEx). I know this as sometimes I receive an email stating that the dimensions or weight were a little off and they have charged the difference to my paypal account. But even that is shady. A few times they said the dimensions were off on 22x22x22 boxes I shipped. But those boxes are labeled 22x22x22 and that is the size sold from where I purchased them (home depot)!

I always take mine to a location and verify the weight as well as get a receipt. I fear receiving a package back these days. I have a postal scale at home, but you never know. I really have been sent a few packages where the weight is obviously below and it was still delivered. Must have been a lazy day at the post office.

When questioning the seller, I was given the shrug and a "pirates" response. This was most recently a FB market purchase