IGNORED

Star Fire Released!

Albert

"Wave: 01" :?: :?: :?:

I actually was on Wave 10 when I died. And let me just say that Wave 10 is very difficult!! I don't know if it reverts to always stating "Wave 01" after the game is over, I'll need to check.

..Al

RTFM! ;) :D

The game will remember the last chosen wave.

BTW: Hacks sell better than homebrews (check the Store Bestsellers). :roll:

Yeah, I'm stunned that (a) I still have two hacks in the top 10, (b) when PMA finally got booted out of number 1, it was by another hack (Adventure Plus) and © the best-selling non-hack game to date appears to be the >$100 Pleiades etc. set of repros! (Synthcart has sold more even though it's not a game, leading me to wonder if the would-be Mobys of the world are starting to pick up on it.)

I am really mortified by it sometimes, especially in cases like SIA vs. Space Instigators where the homebrew is just plain better. (Then again, I guess there'll always be more copies of Star Wars out there than Star Fire and Star Fire is SO much better....)

I get the feeling that homebrewers are saddled by people expecting "homebrew" games to be like shareware games on the PC, i.e. usually shoddier and less fun than commercial games of the same type, when in the case of the 2600 it's the homebrews that tend to be way beyond anything people ever came up with for the Atari in its glory days. So they go for name recognition; maybe it was a mistake to name the "Popular Game Name: Arcade" series of hacks like that.

I can't really complain too loudly because my "royalties" are going directly towards buying other games from the AA store (at my request ;) ) so they're kinda financing my 2600 collecting if you can call it that, but I really wish there were a way to better publicise just how ridiculously cool games like Thrust and Star Fire and Marble Craze and Oystron are. They were a lot more work than any hack could be, and (in addition to the elevated royalties) they deserve more attention from the "classic videogaming" public.

For god's sake, people, or at least Manuel's, buy Star Fire already!

People appear to be going crazy about this game, and the title screen alone looks brilliant. But are you people really saying that it's better than Star Wars TAG? That's one of my favourite games ever. It can't be better than that!

Well, the Star Fire gameplay alone is great. No doubt about that.

Now add some great music and a "brilliant" looking (thanks ;)) title screen and you got a game that's IMO even better than SW TAG. :)

That's good to hear, thomas. I'll be looking forward to playing it, even if it is NTSC only, on my Atari.

Now you've finished that, you've got plenty of time to finally do the long awaited PAL translation of Track and Field! :D

And Liveinabin, I'd swear that avatar was Miner Willy, it has to be. A spectrum fan in Atariage? Can't be possible surely!

That's good to hear, thomas. I'll be looking forward to playing it, even if it is NTSC only, on my Atari.

Hh? Why didn't you order a PAL version then? :?

Now you've finished that, you've got plenty of time to finally do the long awaited PAL translation of Track and Field!  :D

Hehe! Note: I am not the one who programmed Star Fire, I only helped Manuel with the title screen.

Now I finally want to use my free time for a new homebrew again.

Hh? Why didn't you order a PAL version then? :?

Sorry, I han't checked that there was a PAL version. I'm going to play it via Cuttle Cart, you see. When I saw the Homebrew game list, all the games had a big "N" in the TV Format box - i assumed it was NTSC only. There's no excuse to not have a go at it now.

Now you've finished that, you've got plenty of time to finally do the long awaited PAL translation of Track and Field!  :D

Hehe! Note: I am not the one who programmed Star Fire, I only helped Manuel with the title screen.

Now I finally want to use my free time for a new homebrew again.

Ah well, Track and Field will have to wait... 8)

Hi there!

Sorry, I han't checked that there was a PAL version. I'm going to play it via Cuttle Cart, you see. When I saw the Homebrew game list, all the games had a big "N" in the TV Format box - i assumed it was NTSC only. There's no excuse to not have a go at it now.

The distributed ZIP package contains both (PAL/NTSC) binaries. And in the store you can select which of the two you want.

AFAIK all homebrews are listed in the NTSC section, though I'd assume a good 70% are either available as PAL or are switchable hybrids (Piero Cavina was the first to do that for Oystron in 1998 and quite a few other homebrews followed that example since then)

Ah well, Track and Field will have to wait...

I bet you'll enjoy Robot City as well :D

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Robot City? Will it have something to do with the prototype Odyssey2 game?

Yup! Thomas is working on a 2600 port for over a year now:

Greetings,

Manuel

Over a year?! I think I need to be more in touch with fellow Xype programmers... :wink:

Robot City is one of the best O2 games, released or not. I am sure it will turn out being a killer 2600 game.

Eduardo Mello

Over a year?!  

Actually it is "on hold" for about a year now. Some other "things" distracted me quite a lot. But I am planing to continue after my holidays.

Robot City is one of the best O2 games, released or not. I am sure it will turn out being a killer 2600 game.

Well, IMO no killer game, but it should be fun. You can download a playable demo from the "In Development" page. Many people complained that the demo is too hard, though I think it is really quite easy, once you've learned some basic startegies. :)

• 3 weeks later...