IGNORED

Tail-Gunner - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

A surprise new release today - TailGunner game.
- $4.99, 108 MB, and I already bought this one! I love the art-style on this... great.
It's not anime, as such, but it's very cool. Lots of speech.

There is a nice tutorial on using the classic joystick! Thankfully one can also inverse the Y-axis. ?
It is also, so far, quite difficult to get used to, but it also supports a mouse/trackball, and more.

The classic joystick twist is used to change the direction, to steer the plan - that's super cool!

Atari announcement on Facebook says...
"Embrace your fight AND flight in #Tailergunner, now available on the #AtariVCS Store!
Inspired by the iconic arcade classic of the same name, Tailgunner tests your aerial combat skills, featuring 10 modes! Do you have what it takes to avoid the watery grave?!
Rack up high scores to become the most notorious gunner of all-time!
Fully optimized for use with the Atari VCS Wireless Classic Joystick."

The official developer web-site is here.
https://www.grizzly-machine.com/tailgunner

I think some historical reading-up makes this game even more interesting.
https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2013/may/rear-seat-gunners-midway

For retro-fans who don't know the original game, here is a link to a video with an owner.
Maybe some of you know it, but for me, it was completely new; few arcades in the UK.

Did you ever play this, or for that matter, does anybody know a retired tail-gunner?
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10237/the-u-s-air-forces-last-tail-gunner-has-retired

This is the sort of retro-reimagining which I hope to see for many titles in the future. ? 

• Like 1

Games Just Wanna Be Fun has a video of Tail-Gunner gameplay.
I played it with classic joystick, but he plays it with the modern controller.
The game has on-screen tutorials, and controller graphics. That's very nice!

I think some historical reading-up makes this game even more interesting.
https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2013/may/rear-seat-gunners-midway

• Like 1

22 hours ago, justclaws said:

For retro-fans who don't know the original game, here is a link to a video with an owner.
Maybe some of you know it, but for me, it was completely new; few arcades in the UK.

Did you ever play this, or for that matter, does anybody know a retired tail-gunner?
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10237/the-u-s-air-forces-last-tail-gunner-has-retired

This is the sort of retro-reimagining which I hope to see for many titles in the future. ? 

I would like to see things like this.  I'd like to see Atari becoming a developer / publisher again as well.  Even if (or especially if) it is the single or dual person devs that have been creeping out of their basements to release some weird beta game in VR or some Early Access thing, where they need some funds to get them pushing the development a little bit.  This is the area where I think the VCS could excel.  Even if it was kind of one of those things where they started nabbing these incomplete games and making them more exclusive to the VCS.  Give more people an actual reason to own the thing, instead of arguing that 'well I can just build a better PC even though it'll cost me more' 

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought and downloaded this game because I liked the art style. The art style is top notch. Reminds me of Zelda Windwaker cel shaded graphics. BUT I can not get into this game. It doesn't seem to offer much in the gameplay department...... Or perhaps I just suck at it?

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

Tailgunner is a pretty simple game, really, it is pretty good for what it is but it is mostly just a casual shooting gallery style game. There's a bit of gameplay with the choices you can make as you move on but I mostly found it fairly short and simple. That's fine, though, for what it is. Also yeah - tough! I feel like this game would be easy in VR, but maybe not.

• 10 months later...

This game popped into my head today and I found that its itch.io page is gone.  I had been planning to pick up a copy, on PC, but it appears that I'm too late. 

It's a little odd, considering that the game isn't that old. Does anyone know if something happened?  

I came across this game, initially, because it was an early title for the VCS.  I never picked up a VCS but I followed its development/launch. 

I'll find a way to carry on, without a copy, but it's a minor bummer. 

• 1 month later...

I have it in my account and have it downloaded and installed on two of my Atari VCS's but it seems to have disappeared when i try to install it on my other VCS's consoles for some reason, i thought since i purchased it it would still show up to be downloaded over and over again if need be. Looks like ill need to contact support eventually and see if they can push it to my account again for my other systems.