IGNORED

NOOB - Flashback X Deluxe Questions - ROM Flashing

New to the Flashbacks, but I had both the 2600 and 7800 back in the day.

So I've dug around enough to know some of the pre-X models have custom ROMs, but they seem to be centered around adding games.

I believe the X already has this capability via an OTG cable and USB stick - do I have that right?

Are there any custom ROMs for the X Deluxe? If so do they functionally do anything? By functional, I mean beyond cosmetic such as changing menu wall paper.  More like upgrading the version of Stella.

On ATGames, there is a firmware update for the X Deluxe, but the instructions won't download - does anyone have a copy they could share? (I suspect my unit is already at latest firmware as I just bought it and the firmware is about a year old).

Thanks for the help in getting me up to speed.

Steve

Sounds like you have it right.

It doesnt look like the AFBs will run the newest version of stella.

with CFW and control files, the afbx has the ability to swap cores, (the afbx stella core for the afb9 stella core, for example) and I'm sure that capability could be added to the afb9, they are virtually the same thing. You can also change the emulators settings on the afbx which could help with core performance. And, for what it is worth, the newest version of the afbxd internal files (v0.1.21) have been swapped into the current CFWs prebuilt pack.

The instructions on the flashback firmware portal do work. Here is the .pdf file anyway. But, I dont think you will want to downgrade, so I didnt grab the firmware update.

Because, if you have the newest model, you dont have to update to sideload games the intended way with an otg adapter, flash drive, and a folder named /game full of .a26 roms.

AtariFlashbackX-FirmwareUpgrade.pdf

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Sounds like you have it right.

It doesnt look like the AFBs will run the newest version of stella.

with CFW and control files, the afbx has the ability to swap cores, (the afbx stella core for the afb9 stella core, for example) and I'm sure that capability could be added to the afb9, they are virtually the same thing. You can also change the emulators settings on the afbx which could help with core performance. And, for what it is worth, the newest version of the afbxd internal files (v0.1.21) have been swapped into the current CFWs prebuilt pack.

The instructions on the flashback firmware portal do work. Here is the .pdf file anyway. But, I dont think you will want to downgrade, so I didnt grab the firmware update.

Because, if you have the newest model, you dont have to update to sideload games the intended way with an otg adapter, flash drive, and a folder named /game full of .a26 roms.

AtariFlashbackX-FirmwareUpgrade.pdf 1 MB · 1 download

Thank you!. I could download the firmware, just the instructions wouldn't download for me (tried 2 different days, two browsers - weird if it downloaded OK for you). Many thanks!

• Like 1

It depends what version AFBX you have. The one I purchased, a year ago, had to have the official update done (the one where you open the console and connect to a PC and hold the reset button, etc.) before it would recognize an OTG adapter and flash drive. After the initial, official firmware update, I flashed the custom firmware from the flashdrive via OTG adapter. (meaing I did not have to open the system up again like the initial update.) But to answer your specific question, yes, the CFW can be flashed the same way as the OFW. They are infact, the same thing with a small addition. My advice is put the "atari_update.img" file on a flash drive, and just power on and press left when prompted. (or right, I forget)

As for the newer models that came out recently, I don't own one, but I hear that they do not need the official firmware update from the atgames website to use an otg adapter and flashdrive. And if that is correct, you do NOT want to downgrade with the year old officlal firmware online. If you have a newer model with the hole on the bottom to access the reset button, try to use an OTG adapter and drive with a folder named "game" without quotations and place .a26 roms inside and see if it works fresh out of the box, no updates. If it indeed does, forget all about any outdated, online OFW 

Remember that the CFW is based off of the online OFW, it is essentially the same thing. We have come to a point where we finally can experiment on the AFBX internal files and swap cores, and we have the dump of files from the newest firmware (v0.1.21). This is a time when we really should create New CFW for late model owners to not have to worry about this kind of thing.

Now, I have no idea what is different, if anything, between the old and new models. My guess is OTG support is the only thing. But, again, I have no clue.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Remember that the CFW is based off of the online OFW, it is essentially the same thing. We have come to a point where we finally can experiment on the AFBX internal files and swap cores, and we have the dump of files from the newest firmware (v0.1.21). This is a time when we really should create New CFW for late model owners to not have to worry about this kind of thing.

I have been really going through hell trying to pack that update into a flashable img file for everybody, but I keep getting errors when I try to upload it into AndroidTools.

I asked Brad for some insights on this and he is supposed to get back to me sometime this weekend.  In the meantime I will still be trying.

But what I would like to do is take the 0.1.7 update and make a cfw out of that with the 0.1.21 update internals like the retroplayer, etc for the Deluxe Edition.

7 hours ago, MrFister said:

I have been really going through hell trying to pack that update into a flashable img file for everybody, but I keep getting errors when I try to upload it into AndroidTools.

I asked Brad for some insights on this and he is supposed to get back to me sometime this weekend.  In the meantime I will still be trying.

But what I would like to do is take the 0.1.7 update and make a cfw out of that with the 0.1.21 update internals like the retroplayer, etc for the Deluxe Edition.

that is where i got stuck as well. they say to use imgrepacker or some arcane linux tools, but I never figured it out.