IGNORED

Install or keep as it is?

JGRAHAM2

I have it working... kind of. Comes up as a black screen. If I hit reset, it will run a cartridge. It will even run the Uno cart. If I select a cart on the menu, it will start after another reset. Buck Rodgers will start without reset. Basic will produce a Ready prompt and will take input, but freezes after one line. It did all of this after I rotated the RAM chips. I believe it’s just a bad chip.

Edited by JGRAHAM2

On 2/15/2021 at 9:17 PM, JGRAHAM2 said:

Yes, I’ll upload here sometime this week.

I look forward to the instructions but in the mean time let me guess:

The green board plugs into the socket where the LS10 chip is and the 4 blue wires go to board edge pins S and P, pin 1 of an LS158, and pin 9 of the RAM chips.

So, after rechecking my soldering I confirmed the problem to be between the soldering iron and the chair. I had soldered wire “7” to pin 9 of the RAM chip instead of pin 8. Now it works with BASIC and other carts. It no longer works with the UNO cart. It also will not boot off of S-Drive Max OR FujiNet. PIA or Pokey?

37 minutes ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

So, after rechecking my soldering I confirmed the problem to be between the soldering iron and the chair. I had soldered wire “7” to pin 9 of the RAM chip instead of pin 8. Now it works with BASIC and other carts. It no longer works with the UNO cart. It also will not boot off of S-Drive Max OR FujiNet. PIA or Pokey?

I found in another post on this site that you must use external power on S-Drive Max or FujiNet. I have both on the S Max and sure enough, it works!

On 2/15/2021 at 7:11 AM, JGRAHAM2 said:

What do you think? Install in my B-Key 400 or keep as it is?

There are easier, and cheaper memory upgrade options for our 8-bits these days, even the 400/800 machines. If it were me, I think I'd go for a more modern upgrade, and save that upgrade as a collector's piece.

That's just me though.

1 minute ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

Need to clean it up, but it works 100%! That little board to the left was to press on the four wires from the Mosaic board to the back of the cart port. I didn’t like that so I soldered them.

DBED842E-E258-48DB-A6C0-9E4AABAA2DAA.jpeg

By the way, the keyboard was made by Cherry. I was surprised at that.

21 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

There are easier, and cheaper memory upgrade options for our 8-bits these days, even the 400/800 machines. If it were me, I think I'd go for a more modern upgrade, and save that upgrade as a collector's piece.

That's just me though.

I can see your point, but this was what I wanted to do on my first computer in 1982. I tried to buy the keyboard, but couldn’t find one. I couldn’t afford the memory upgrade. It is a nostalgic thing.

12 minutes ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

I can see your point, but this was what I wanted to do on my first computer in 1982. I tried to buy the keyboard, but couldn’t find one. I couldn’t afford the memory upgrade. It is a nostalgic thing.

OK, I can definitely get that then. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.

If that's the case, why the post? Heck, it doesn't matter what any of us think. Do whatever you want that is going to make you happy and everyone else's opinion be damned. Go for it! I'm glad you're finally getting to fulfill that 1982 dream. It only took 38 years!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bfollowell said:

OK, I can definitely get that then. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.

If that's the case, why the post? Heck, it doesn't matter what any of us think. Do whatever you want that is going to make you happy and everyone else's opinion be damned. Go for it! I'm glad you're finally getting to fulfill that 1982 dream. It only took 38 years!

I like the discussion. There is a story to my first 400. I bought it at a Montgomery Wards warehouse store. I learned BASIC on the machine and how to fix it when I broke it. (Actually, a bar code reader called Oscar broke the SIO.) It got me started in an IT career. Now I work in the building where I bought it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JGRAHAM2 said:

It got me started in an IT career. Now I work in the building where I bought it.

That is SO cool! Thanks for sharing that story...

My first one ever was a 400, too.... Don't have too much love for that particular machine... but just love the sweet memories... If Incognito/400 ever shows up, I may reconsider my piosition... ;-)

Enjoy that upgrade...  Mine was an AXLON 32KB, which was much simpler to install, though... but still no 48KB ! 8-(