IGNORED

organizing Geneve

hloberg

There is a lot of good stuff out there for the Geneve it's just not very organized. So I'm making a pair of .hd files and documentation but i have a few questions that might help me with.

Geneve Forth - I'm not really into Forth but doesn't it use it's own disk structure? How does that work on a .hd file?

MS Multiplan 80 - How does that work? It requires the use of the cartridge but there are no carts in Geneve. Is it GPL TI99 emulation only in 80 column? Is there no native way to run it.

By the way, is there a spreadsheet for the Geneve native?

C99 - I think i got all the C99 stuff organized. But I'm not sure I have the latest version. The version I have is 4.1.

Speaking of versions, what are the latest versions of MDOS & GPL.

Is GenAsm, Tasm, C99, ABASIC & Forth all the programming languages that work on the Geneve native?

The 9640news disk are in .ark form. unfortunately a lot of them seem to be corrupted. Anyone got all the disk that are all readable?

I'll post all this on my project blog when I'm complete. Till then, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mizapf said:

This is certainly a good idea. It should eventually be put on WHTech under Geneve.new (maybe we should rename that folder at some time and call the previous one Geneve.old).

I was going to bundle it into 1 big zip. think I should split it up instead.

Also, I'm just putting in stuff that I got to work and has documentation. That's going to leave out a bunch of stuff that either I couldn't get to work or has no documentation.

Maybe call the directory GENEVE ORGANIZED or something like that?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hloberg said:

There is a lot of good stuff out there for the Geneve it's just not very organized. So I'm making a pair of .hd files and documentation but i have a few questions that might help me with.

Geneve Forth - I'm not really into Forth but doesn't it use it's own disk structure? How does that work on a .hd file?

MS Multiplan 80 - How does that work? It requires the use of the cartridge but there are no carts in Geneve. Is it GPL TI99 emulation only in 80 column? Is there no native way to run it.

By the way, is there a spreadsheet for the Geneve native?

C99 - I think i got all the C99 stuff organized. But I'm not sure I have the latest version. The version I have is 4.1.

Speaking of versions, what are the latest versions of MDOS & GPL.

Is GenAsm, Tasm, C99, ABASIC & Forth all the programming languages that work on the Geneve native?

The 9640news disk are in .ark form. unfortunately a lot of them seem to be corrupted. Anyone got all the disk that are all readable?

I'll post all this on my project blog when I'm complete. Till then, thanks.

Mike McCann had MDOS Forth.  I do not believe there was any other Forth program for the MDOS side of things. It did not use a disk structure like the original TI forth, rather you had the loader and a filename as I recall that you selected at load time.  It would as I recall access the records in the file as a sector.  One of the nicer features of the MDOS XOP’s.

Multiplan 80..... Myarc released an update to some files that replaced existing TI files.  You used a GramKracker dump of the module that was loaded from the GPL interpreter screen.  It provided 80 column capability for Multiplan.  It might work on the F18, but I have not seen anyone comment to know if it was a very Geneve specific update, or an update for 80 columns.

There are no native 80 column spreadsheets.  I wish I had the source code to Peter Muy’s “Crash” Stockmarket program as it had so many features it may have been able to be turned into a spreadsheet program.  From what I last gathered from Peter, the code was lost.  

GenProg (ASM, LINK, MAKE, LIBR, and XOP docs), TASM, c99, Forth are all native to MDOS.  I’ve noticed some sites seem to have bad copies of my 9640News disk magazines.  When I get time, I will put out another complete package of the files.

Beery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Mike McCann had MDOS Forth.  ......

Multiplan 80..... Myarc released an update to some files that replaced ....

I’ve noticed some sites seem to have bad copies of my 9640News ...

Beery

thanks Beery.

I'm going to play around with the forth but i might end up posting the forth package and letting someone who knows something about forth check it out.

I kinda wanted to steer away from GPL, even though it's a great package, I just felt people look at the Geneve just a faster TI99 and missing a lot of the great native capabilities.  But if that's the only way to get a spreadsheet, something I consider a necessity, I'll set it up that way. After all I do have 99XB running on it.

I tried putting together a working 9640News from various sources that was complete but it soon got to be a big mess. So thanks, I consider that diskzine(?) a necessary as it is so chocked full of useful stuff. Oh by the way, there wasn't a corresponding newsletter was there?

Edited by hloberg

There are probably multiple versions of programs - Directory Manager comes to mind - so as the cleanup progresses, we can all help to to identify cases where there was a newer program.   @FarmerPotato's google doc is a good source for program info.

One challenge that I've had lately is finding the associated documentation and release notes.   Seems that I and many others use the program and tuck away the docs and readme files that a new or returning user would find valuable. 

I've have some archived software updates/releases from 1994-95 on MFM hard drive backups and will start copying/setting those aside when I come across them.

• Like 1

OK, here's the 1st post for checking out. I 'think' I got all the latest-n-greatest. the MILL game in DRIVE2.PROJ.AB is a work in progress. It's still missing the above mentioned MS-multiplan, Forth, 9460News. Docs a mix of .pdf & .txt. Like I said, I only put in the things I have tested that works and has docs. Oh, I also don't have the Tomytutor games. I'll add those later. use with MAME/MESS and @mizapf TIimage tool.

If you have working & docs something I missed you think I might add, post here. I'll see about adding it. Also if I don't have the latest versions or docs, post here too. it's a big file.

geneve.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just found games can run by EXEC GAME if they can run as EA5. cool.

the bad is some of the games aren't playable due to they are now too fast.

and

I have been trying to find a copy of Fortran 9460 that does not have a corrupted .arc file. It looks like Fortran might work if I can find a working file! and I did download the Fortran fom Atariage resources page.

Edited by hloberg

so far TIC & TomyTutor games I have found I want to add. I 'think' all the TIC will be there but I don't see a STDIO file. It looks like it's part of TIC???

Still working on Forth but it looks good so far.

If I get a good 9460News and 9640Fortran It's golden.

I'm going to issue a ARCHIVE.HD file too that will be filled with all the misc stuff when done.

By the way, here is a fixed version of TASM 3.4 (which I renamed to 3.41). I found two flaws in TASM:

- Assembly aborted before pass 2; reason was an uninitialized variable which led to a wrong memory location access

- COC mnemonic not recognized; reason was an error in the opcode table.

I tried to contact Alan Beard who was active for a short time last October and November, but it seems he has not yet visited our forum again, and I could not reach him by E-Mail.

tasm341.dsk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mizapf said:

By the way, here is a fixed version of TASM 3.4 (which I renamed to 3.41). I found two flaws in TASM:

- Assembly aborted before pass 2; reason was an uninitialized variable which led to a wrong memory location access

- COC mnemonic not recognized; reason was an error in the opcode table.

I tried to contact Alan Beard who was active for a short time last October and November, but it seems he has not yet visited our forum again, and I could not reach him by E-Mail.

tasm341.dsk 360 kB · 3 downloads

thanks. I'll add it.

BARRICADE
       _________

(C) January 1990 by Sherburne and Martin

Documentation (c) 1990 by Beery Miller and 9640 News

Equipment Required

Geneve 9640
       Advanced Basic 2.99a or higher
       MDOS V1.14f or 0.96H or higher

Loading:
       _______

1) Load Geneve operating system
       2) Load Advanced Basic  (File should be called BASIC1, v 2.99a or higher)
       3) There is a loader called LOAD that loads BARRICADE
       4) Documentation built into program.

Additional Documentation

BARRICADE is an exciting 3-Dimensional game requiring quick thinking and
       strategy.  A 3_Dimensional pit has 'blocks' that fall down the sides and
       it is job to move these random colored blocks into an organized array
       (by color).  Once 100 blocks have fallen (or 200 if you select the long
       version), calculations are done to determine if you have successfully
       arranged sufficient blocks in order to open the gateway.  If you score
       high enough, the game is over, if not, you are prompted to 'Try Again'.
       Watch out for the killer blocks that can destroy your effort in a
       fraction of time.  Manipulate the killer blocks, and your own, through
       the use of the arrow keys.

Enjoy!!!!

Barricade.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hloberg said:

so far TIC & TomyTutor games I have found I want to add. I 'think' all the TIC will be there but I don't see a STDIO file. It looks like it's part of TIC???

Still working on Forth but it looks good so far.

If I get a good 9460News and 9640Fortran It's golden.

I'm going to issue a ARCHIVE.HD file too that will be filled with all the misc stuff when done.

just figured out TIC is a cross compiler. DOH!

On 2/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, hloberg said:

I was going to bundle it into 1 big zip. think I should split it up instead.

Also, I'm just putting in stuff that I got to work and has documentation. That's going to leave out a bunch of stuff that either I couldn't get to work or has no documentation.

Maybe call the directory GENEVE ORGANIZED or something like that?

Just date it. 

since Beery is coming out with a 9640news website I'll make this the last post.

It's got a few added things to the drives. If you want the docs download the previous post as the docs didn't change.

here you go.

EDIT: 1st file was corrupt. redownload this on.

DISKS.zip

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 1