IGNORED

Good News for those who have ordered an IDE Kit for The Atari Portfolio

rcamp48

Good news for all of you who have ordered an IDE Kit, because of problems with my contact here in Canada , Kevin Warnalis and I have decided to ship the entire IDE kit prototype to someone reliable in Arizona (the modified parallel interface, the prototype , a memory card, everything needed to get the ball rolling on this IDE Kit project), we should have results in a couple of months instead of a couple of years, Don is being taken out of the loop on this project, he is simply not reliable enough.

I am sending everything related to the project this week and Mike from Arizona will be working on it for us, as well as trying to duplicate my retro SI Simulant Wifi Modem for the Atari Portfolio.

Kevin and Mike and I had a long conference call last night and between the three of us, this is what we are doing. I will still be workjing on my BBS, which has changed form Spy Visits SPy BBS to Christ Followers BBS, at Christ Followers BBS and Website, Telnet side is Telnet side of Christ Followers BBS.

As for the BBS and website, I am adding totally legal streaming of copyrighted audio only, from ABBA to ZZ TOP, all of my 1000 records and tapes are going online for your listening pleasure or download, negotiation of license fees for this are being worked on as we speak, it should only cost me around $120 Canadian for full streaming rights though Socan in Canada.

Because I have so many records and tapes to record on my stereo system, I am picking the best of the best for now , and I hope to have a request system going for what I have , a list of all records and tapes will be made a available so that you can rock on while playing around with your Atari stuff.

Another feature of the BBS that I am testing is surround sound streaming , I do not know if it is feasable at long distances, but we will try it, it seems to work good locally but overseas I simply do not know, there will be a section for Surround Sound 5.1 songs (whole albums), on my BBS, and as I have said before this is totally legal , as I am paying for the rights to do this quite simply because I am NOT charging for this , they gave me the lowest price that they could to still cover all legal requrements for me to stream copyrighted materials audio only, (no videos).

The streaming will go online as soon as I get my license number from Socan, could be a few days before it is totally ready.

I will still be writing software for the Atari Portfolio, but this new project of keeping the BBS going will take priority over anything.

Russ Campbell

Edited by rcamp48
typo in title

There is a problem with some of the albums in surround sound , the file size listings are not being reported right, some albums are supposed to be over 4000 MBs in size, they are being reported as 50 MBs and I will have to re-record those songs. ***** Edit: ***** I am fixing the albums in question as we speak .... Russ

Edited by rcamp48

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of BBS's and the portfolio - has there ever been a documented success at running a bbs on the portfolio? I've never owned one so I have not tried - but I love the idea of bbs's on odd devices and the portfolio falls right into that category!

And my question revolves around either telnet or dialup.. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 4:23 PM, doctor_x said:

Speaking of BBS's and the portfolio - has there ever been a documented success at running a bbs on the portfolio? I've never owned one so I have not tried - but I love the idea of bbs's on odd devices and the portfolio falls right into that category!

And my question revolves around either telnet or dialup.. 

Yes it is possible but you need storage and the com port , both at the same time is a drawback, I am looking into that very thing, also going to 3D print rainbow colored keys for the Atari 800 XL, I should have a full set by the end of the weekend. I am going to put this project on the front burner so to say, I just need a design for the key caps them selves, I have a very nice 3D printer with a small bed, a Monoprice V2 , it really does plastic parts at a finish that I have never seen before, the smaller the part the better, my idea was to print them one at a time until I have the full set, at least for the first set. I will look at the underside of the keycaps that I have and go from there. A rainbow color would be so cool with raised letters

By the way I have a reliable friend looking into the IDE kit , I have not forgotten about all of you guys....          Russ Campbell

On 4/8/2021 at 10:36 PM, rcamp48 said:

Yes it is possible but you need storage and the com port , both at the same time is a drawback, I am looking into that very thing, also going to 3D print rainbow colored keys for the Atari 800 XL, I should have a full set by the end of the weekend. I am going to put this project on the front burner so to say, I just need a design for the key caps them selves, I have a very nice 3D printer with a small bed, a Monoprice V2 , it really does plastic parts at a finish that I have never seen before, the smaller the part the better, my idea was to print them one at a time until I have the full set, at least for the first set. I will look at the underside of the keycaps that I have and go from there. A rainbow color would be so cool with raised letters

By the way I have a reliable friend looking into the IDE kit , I have not forgotten about all of you guys....          Russ Campbell

I dont understand the rainbow colored key thing??? what am i missing.. never heard of that before.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, doctor_x said:

I dont understand the rainbow colored key thing??? what am i missing.. never heard of that before.

You use Rainbow PLA for the keys Doc

It gives each key a unique color

Don't know if I want to really do that...all in black is OK