IGNORED

What's your Favorite Wii/U Game? Why do you like it?

DL_

Wii - I LOVE Super Mario Galaxy, but Excitebots has a special place in my heart. It was one of the first games I ever played online. I loved wagering a lot of coins on tracks I knew I was good at! Great fun. Wonder if that new server from Dolphin works with it...or that anyone plays it.

Wii U - Splatoon, Hands down. Great new franchise from Nintendo with new and interesting mechanics. Series is still popular as ever too; then the Wii U one still has a decently sized playerbase, though everyone has moved on to 3.

Edited by Astro Rabby
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was at a GameStop a long time ago and saw "Tank! Tank! Tank!" for Wii U. I'd never heard of the game before (and was not aware that it's actually a console port of an arcade game because I've never seen the arcade game either) and it was relatively cheap so I bought the game on a whim. It's actually pretty good? I get vibes of the campy Earth Defense Force series because the game consists of driving a tank around while shooting at giant alien insects wreaking havoc in the city. There are also some kaiju-style bosses that are more about waiting for them to expose their weak point and then firing off all your artillery. There are dozens of tanks to unlock and each one has two different weapons. Not all the tanks are useful though as some of them are clearly jokes. But in order to unlock more tanks you have to earn medals which is done by completing each of the game's missions with every individual tank so once you've beaten the missions with the more formidable vehicles you have to eventually go back and use the tank that fires off pizzas like saw blades to earn the rest of the medals.

There weren't many games released for the Wii U because third parties dropped it fast once it didn't sell well and this in turn translated to poor sales for games released on the console since there just wasn't a big enough install base to make any serious returns on their investments. Most of the good games were first-party which is why the tank game surprised me since I think it's a Namco Bandai game so it fell outside of the in-house Nintendo umbrella. Apparently word of this game being decent got around because in the years following my purchase of the game its value steadily increased. It peaked around $60 CIB but I looked it up just now and it's selling on eBay for $25-30 which is about what I paid for it.

On 10/23/2022 at 4:38 AM, BydoEmpire said:

Metroid Prime Corruption is my favorite Wii game, and my favorite game of that generation. I think it was done incredibly well - the atmosphere, the gameplay, everything.  It combined everything good about Metroid Prime and fixed all the things I didn't like.

I'd have lots of runner ups, though, the Wii had so many good games.

I would probably say this one too, but Prime 2 is my favorite in the series. Even if the Spider Guardian was a pain in the ass in the Game Cube version which is what I have (have to do multi-bombs jumps as it doesn't have morphball jumping). I hope Nintendo gives 2 and 3 the remastering treatment too. Would love to play 3 without the motion controls.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, Zap! said:

Off-topic but do any versions of TP allow you to flip the world, or are they all the mirror image of the Wii version?

I'm pretty sure they do that in Hero Mode on the HD remake. Kind of made me reluctant to try it...that mirror flip really messes with my head.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:29 PM, Radio F Software said:

I was at a GameStop a long time ago and saw "Tank! Tank! Tank!" for Wii U.

I like that game a lot, but yeah, it is tough...
Pretty fun in coop too.

• Like 1