IGNORED

How many games on PC/IBM compatible, best guess.

"To now" is a bit of an ask. Retro PC is much easier:

exoDOS: 7200

exoWin 3.1: 1140

So that's around ~8400 for the old era and I'd say it's a pretty accurate number.  You could add Win 95-98 games by looking at particular years from Moby.

Mobygames list 55187 games under "Windows" tag altogether, so in theory you could add all that up and come up with the number 63,527. How accurate Moby's estimate is is anybody's guess though.

2 minutes ago, youxia said:

"To now" is a bit of an ask. Retro PC is much easier:

exoDOS: 7200

exoWin 3.1: 1140

So that's around ~8400 for the old era and I'd say it's a pretty accurate number.  You could add Win 95-98 games by looking at particular years from Moby.

Mobygames list 55187 games under "Windows" tag altogether, so in theory you could add all that up and come up with the number 63,527. How accurate Moby's estimate is is anybody's guess though.

I've always found the Mobygames database far from complete too, so the real number is likely even higher.

6 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

In my opinion it should only include games that could be played straight from DOS.

I'd agree and call that beyond even making an argument otherwise.  Windows 1.0 through 3.11 all required DOS to run, and it basically was an OS on top of an OS that depended on the DOS core to function.  That even continued into the 90s with Win95 being DOS 7, it just didn't natively boot there first, though you could tweak it to if you must.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 7:45 PM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

My favorite was the IBM Aptiva. When Windows 95 came out I had it installed in CompUSA, I thought is was the best machine ever from IBM. Many years having fun playing games on it. :)

Anthony..

Gotta love old school IBM computers. They were so good quality wise and always had a distinct look to them.  But, I am a little biased as my family's, and then my own, first personal computer was an IBM PS/1 ?