2 hours ago, alex_79 said:

I played a bit last evening.

The gameplay feels "right" to me already, so I find difficult to suggest any specific change to the parameters. Maybe it's best to post a few variations to compare?

Yes, that might work better. @Keatah provided some feedback into which direction I should go for some parameters. And I think I will extend the average boost lengths (mainly reducing the 2s and 3s boosts).

Maybe you could have (optional, e.g. selected using a difficulty switch) some extra boost inversely proportional to the position, so it's easier to catch up making the race challenging until the end.

A "bonus" of some kind might work too (this could be optional as well), like the power boost suggested by @azure. It should be short (single arrow), so it's difficult to catch.

I am still thinking about game variations and tweaks. They just have to fit into a party game. That power boost might work.

Currently the skills between players (not computers) are a bit compensated by the leading player's cars positioning more to the right. Which is currently (it could be in short games too) more pronounced in longer games. So the leading players have less reaction time for new boosts. 

If I implement a more random boost generation mode (currently each player gets the same boosts), I could increase/reduce the boost based on player position.

I prefer the audio of the previous version, without the brake sound.

Hm, some like it and some not. And I suppose no one has played this with 8 people yet.

Is it the braking sound which makes it worse? Or the different engine sound compared to previous versions? I could create a version which produces the same engine sound as the old one, but with additional brake sound.

Autodetection works correctly, I can now control a single car without the QuadTari.

Cool! Have you tried all four possible combinations?

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Is it the braking sound which makes it worse? Or the different engine sound compared to previous versions?

It's the braking sound for me. The sound effect itself is fine and would work well on a different kind of racing game, but with this game mechanics (and I guess it gest worse with more players), the result is a series of frequent but very short high pitch noises which get a bit annoying IMO.

I'd prefer to simply hear the engine suddenly losing revs rather than a skidding sound when braking.

Have you tried all four possible combinations?

I don't have a QuadTari, so I only tested with two sets of paddles connected directly.

They are always correctly detected no matter the position of the pots, allowing to control the first 4 cars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex_79 said:

It's the braking sound for me. The sound effect itself is fine and would work well on a different kind of racing game, but with this game mechanics (and I guess it gest worse with more players), the result is a series of frequent but very short high pitch noises which get a bit annoying IMO.

I see. However, James seems to like that. Personally I don't mind too. 

I'd prefer to simply hear the engine suddenly losing revs rather than a skidding sound when braking.

But can you hear that when playing against 7 other players? The revs have to be based on a car which is not necessary yours.

I don't have a QuadTari, so I only tested with two sets of paddles connected directly.

They are always correctly detected no matter the position of the pots, allowing to control the first 4 cars.

OK, that's a passed negative test. Thanks! Now I need someone with a QuadTari for the three remaining positive tests.

New version 0.6 in first post. Changes:

• the average boost length increased (less short ones)
  • braking got 20% less strong
  • changed font (still experimenting here, looking for pop art style)
  • button presses change boost arrow color during start phase

As always, feedback welcome.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

But can you hear that when playing against 7 other players? The revs have to be based on a car which is not necessary yours.

True, but I guess that's the same for the braking sound. Difficult to say which car refers to with 8 players.

Just now, alex_79 said:

True, but I guess that's the same for the braking sound. Difficult to say which car refers to with 8 players.

The difference is, that braking should happen much less frequently (and computer never brakes). So it should stick out better.

12 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I welcome each change. ?

I need a stronger AI, anyway, as I always win now. I'm using the green car, as I find more convenient to keep a joystick in the left port and use paddles on the right one. Don't know if that makes any difference for the AI skills.

12 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

I need a stronger AI, anyway, as I always win now.

Yes, the latest changes made the game easier. I will wait for more feedback before I tweak the AI.

12 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

I'm using the green car, as I find more convenient to keep a joystick in the left port and use paddles on the right one. Don't know if that makes any difference for the AI skills.

You are eliminating the 4th strongest computer player that way, so that shouldn't make much of a difference for you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes, the latest changes made the game easier. I will wait for more feedback before I tweak the AI.

v0.6 is too easy to win for me, the AI in v0.5 was much better. But for my daughter (5 years) v0.6 is still to hard (and frustrating) she gave up after 3 tries. So maybe you should use the difficulty switches to control the strength of the AI.

Everything else is perfect!

?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

v0.6 is too easy to win for me, the AI in v0.5 was much better.

The AI is the same, but the game has become easier for human players. I will adjust the AI when the other parameters are finalized.

But for my daughter (5 years) v0.6 is still to hard (and frustrating) she gave up after 3 tries.

You take your 5yo to parties? :) Was she able to become not last?

So maybe you should use the difficulty switches to control the strength of the AI.

Might do. Each switch could control 4 cars. But maybe two levels are not enough to cover all needs.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

14 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You take your 5yo to parties? :)

AI party ? mostly because I only have one pair of paddles..

Was she able to become not last?

3rd last was here best try, but she has just come back to try again.

Might do. Each switch could control 4 cars. But maybe two levels are not enough to cover all needs.

maybe just make all AI cars stronger/weaker with the switches?

A - A: All AIs at their 100%
A - B: All AIs at their  90%
B - A: All AIs at their  80%
B - B: Kids mode, all AIs pressing the button randomly.

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 2

Next version 0.7 add to first post. Changes:

• implemented three difficulties
  • added optional SuperBoosts
  • lowered braking frequencies
  • more detailed instructions in first post

Size now increased to 4K.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I only played a few rounds of v0.7 so far, but I like the new difficulty settings.

Normal and hard modes are challenging against the AI.

I tend to do worse with longer race length, as I start to lose concentration and doing mistakes and I cannot catch up.

Also the "superboost" arrows are an handicap for me, at least against the AI, as it is way better at catching them than I am.

14 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

I only played a few rounds of v0.7 so far, but I like the new difficulty settings.

Normal and hard modes are challenging against the AI.

Thanks! I can sometimes win in normal mode, but I have a hard time not to become last in the hard mode.

I tend to do worse with longer race length, as I start to lose concentration and doing mistakes and I cannot catch up.

Same here, I suppose that's normal.

Also the "superboost" arrows are an handicap for me, at least against the AI, as it is way better at catching them than I am.

Yes, that's something I noticed when adding them. I had to make them longer (better for human players) and less effective, else the AI would profit way too much.  

How is the frequency of the Superboosts? Currently there is a 1/16 chance, maybe that's too high?

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

blue is easy? My 5yo still has problems getting better than 3rd last in this mode, she is very upset and demands a "Kids Mode"!

• Like 1

Thanks! I can sometimes win in normal mode, but I have a hard time not to become last in the hard mode.

Me too. I usually finish in last position in hard mode, rarely somewhere in the middle.
But that's fine, the "hard" mode have to stay true to its name.?

How is the frequency of the Superboosts? Currently there is a 1/16 chance, maybe that's too high?

Maybe I'd like it a bit less frequent, but I'm not sure.

I need to play a bit more.

• Like 1

I did some fun math today. From the car width (14 pixel) I assumed that 1 pixel is ~30cm (-> car length 4.20m). Using this I checked the distance the computer reached in normal mode within 30 seconds (~2750m). And that resulted into an average speed of ~330km/h. :) 

• Like 3

And that resulted into an average speed of ~330km/h

that's 205 mph which is pretty reasonable (if not a little slow) for an open wheel racer on a closed track; things a slower on open tracks.

without trying to, you managed to nail it!

nice job!

16 hours ago, D Train said:

that's 205 mph which is pretty reasonable (if not a little slow) for an open wheel racer on a closed track; things a slower on open tracks.

without trying to, you managed to nail it!

nice job!

Just assume the car is 10% longer than 4.2m and you are automatically 10% faster. :) 

• Haha 1