IGNORED

Demos and Half-baked Ideas

Karl G

I like @Muddyfunster's idea of having a topic to aggregate demos and game ideas that may or may not be developed into full projects eventually. No need to add anything here to the list of 7800 works-in-progress.

Anyway, as I own both a QuadTari and a 7800, and knew that they should work together, I wanted to make a proof in concept game demo to see if it worked. The result is the 4-player game "Raindrops" below:

Raindrops Instructions:

You are a magical flying umbrella. Like all magical, flying umbrellas, you want to avoid raindrops, and catch flying rainbows. Collect 9 rainbows before your fellow magical flying umbrellas do the same. Getting the rainbow will get you one point, whereas colliding with a raindrop will kock you back to your starting position.

Developer Notes:

I know RevEng plans to add QuadTari support to 7800Basic, but I was impatient and wanted to take a stab at it myself. ? I set the active controllers in a topscreenroutine based on a bit set in the program. Pressing a joystick button to restart the game does not seem to work, but otherwise everything seems to work fine on hardware. Currently, there is no emulator support for the QuadTari, so it will only work properly on real hardware.

raindrops.thumb.png.031f11924009fc0fb291788351009933.png

Version 3 (corrects scoring issue):

raindrops.78b.a78

raindrops.78b.bin

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

That screen capture looks great.  Can't wait to try this out with the family.  Thank you.?

Well, if someone is actually going to play it, then maybe I should add some sound. I'll post an updated version in a day or two.  ? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Karl G said:

Updated raindrops in the first post to add sounds borrowed from @RevEng's handy dandy sample sound collection. It's amazing how much just adding two different sound effects can change a game.  ? 

Works well Karl, but I'm not hearing any sounds. 

37 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I must have uploaded the wrong one. Should be fixed now. Sorry about that!  ? 

No problem. Thanks, I hear the sounds now. Really like the colors you chose. They look great?

Edited by sramirez2008
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing RAINDROPS on tomorrow's (Fri Mar 5, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Karl G said:

I updated the first post to correct a raindrops scoring bug found on the ZPH show (only the first player's score would be checked for a win). Thanks for playing it on the show!

You're so welcome, really looking forward to playing your four player games again once we can have four people in the house! ?

- James

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Carl

looks good so far ?

But i would like to see Penult on the 7800 ?

Now i am able to play Penult on a 7800.

greetings Walter

I agree. Penult would look WAY better on the 7800 versus the 2600. Could probably get close to the old PC version if not spot on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

I agree. Penult would look WAY better on the 7800 versus the 2600. Could probably get close to the old PC version if not spot on.

There's no PC version of Penult. :P

I have considered doing a 7800 version,  but I would want to wait for the 2600 release before working on it in earnest (hopefully late this year, or whenever Albert releases the next big batch of games).

• Like 1

No demo yet, but here's a screenshot from a half-baked idea I've been working on in bits and pieces for a while now. Basically, it's Adventure in space. Your ship gets sucked into a pocket dimension, and you must find what you need to heal the rift and escape. You need to navigate energy barriers while avoiding hungry space blobs, and a malfunctioning scavenger robot that takes items when it gets the opportunity.

114177658_ScreenShot2021-03-08at11_56_55AM.thumb.png.106c4b5f4d38edbb46455d7112849b20.png

• Like 5

On 3/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, Karl G said:

No demo yet, but here's a screenshot from a half-baked idea I've been working on in bits and pieces for a while now. Basically, it's Adventure in space. Your ship gets sucked into a pocket dimension, and you must find what you need to heal the rift and escape. You need to navigate energy barriers while avoiding hungry space blobs, and a malfunctioning scavenger robot that takes items when it gets the opportunity.

114177658_ScreenShot2021-03-08at11_56_55AM.thumb.png.106c4b5f4d38edbb46455d7112849b20.png

Hi Carl

A....in Space....show a file :)

On 3/13/2021 at 2:04 PM, gambler172 said:

Hi Carl

A....in Space....show a file :)

Hi Walter! I plan on making a demo available and seeing what people think. Right now I'm very happy with the engine, so I just need to add more content (room maps) before I release a demo.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...