IGNORED

FujiNet Through Hole DIY Hardware

Got the Fujinet inside a Atari 1030 modem done today

I used the original 1030 PCB, just desoldered some stuff so I could use the traces to hook up the Throughhole Fujinet. So both SIO ports work, power/wifi light and power switch and power plug(for external USB 5V).

The wiring for the remote box comes out the back where the phone jack was. No holes were made in the case.

Really happy how it came out, and glad to have a 1030 in my setup.

Made a quick video of it in action.

IMG_20210505_152904565_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210505_153711054.jpg

IMG_20210505_162420752_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

So this is a potentially-dumb question, @Fierodoug5 - if I've missed something along the way, my apologies. But why didn't you tap the SIO signals from your FujiNet right off the SIO ports on your 1030 case? That way you could've just connected it to your Atari with a standard SIO cable.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to build this for the 4mb WROVER and when I build in PlatformIO I get:

Compiling .pio\build\fujinet-v1-4mb\bootloader_support\src\esp_image_format.o
src/main.cpp: In function 'void main_setup()':
src/main.cpp:96:9: error: 'fnBtManager' was not declared in this scope
         fnBtManager.start();
         ^~~~~~~~~~~
src/main.cpp:96:9: note: suggested alternative: 'fnLedManager'
         fnBtManager.start();
         ^~~~~~~~~~~
         fnLedManager
*** [.pio\build\fujinet-v1-4mb\src\main.o] Error 1
================================================================================================== [FAILED] Took 19.99 seconds ==================================================================================================
Environment     Status    Duration
--------------  --------  ------------
fujinet-v1-4mb  FAILED    00:00:19.985
============================================================================================= 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:19.985 =============================================================================================The terminal process "C:\Users\cbelc\.platformio\penv\Scripts\platformio.exe 'run', '--environment', 'fujinet-v1-4mb'" terminated with exit code: 1.

Look familiar to anyone?

I'm following the guide at: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/Board-bring-up-for-FujiNet-Platform.IO-code

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this and had to give it a try. Got PCP boards from Osh Park that I need to build along with the cable.I thought I'd go ahead and load up the programming.  Have the ESP32-DEVKITC-VE and have been reading and working my way through the "Board bring up software", I can upload the "firmware.bin" without errors but cannot get "Upload File System Image" to work. Here is a picture of where I end up. I honestly do not know what the programming language is but have tried to follow the instructions step by step. I did not work through an account as I am unlikely to contribute to the code. I keep ending up with a much too large file, maybe I need to change some more lines in the plaformio.ini to comments? Presently putting the project away for a few days but Any advice would be helpful. 1656830742_FailedUpload.thumb.jpg.86938ef2699a161401f81a94f6bdf205.jpg

• Like 1

Grunt, grunt, like says other post above……picture with red circle help Grog. It works fine now; thought I only had to define it in the platformio.ini file. 

I built a 15 pin db connector to Atari SIO cable for this. Do I just have to build the correct  15 pin db to (appleIi, Adam, etc) and flash for this board to work with other systems? 

Thank you hideeho and mozzwald for posting here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WicoKid said:

Do I just have to build the correct  15 pin db to (appleIi, Adam, etc) and flash for this board to work with other systems?

It's not that simple. Perhaps @masteriescan share his schematic for the atari/adam fuji board. Apple II FujiNet is a whole different beast and needs a different board.

3 hours ago, mozzwald said:

It's not that simple. Perhaps @masteriescan share his schematic for the atari/adam fuji board. Apple II FujiNet is a whole different beast and needs a different board.

As Mozzwald explained, is far from simple; here you have the schematic, is based in jumper selection / isolation of signals.

Each machine uses its own set of signals, using different signal conditioning, different voltage levels and these sort of things...

Apple II Fujinet uses too many signals for a reliable or affordable multidevice Fujinet,

there are too many signals to isolate them in an affordable way, or using a dual layer PCB as an example.

LCGP sch.pdf

Edited by masteries
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am trying to build a devkit version.  I flashed the filesystem and runtime software to the devkit build and have it installed in the board but not connected via sio to the atari machine.  The output of the monitor looks good, but the wifi light comes on then goes off.  It is not associated with any access point. The output states there is no config which is what I expect.

I am not sure why the wifi led is not staying on. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Jfcatari said:

I am trying to build a devkit version.  I flashed the filesystem and runtime software to the devkit build and have it installed in the board but not connected via sio to the atari machine.  The output of the monitor looks good, but the wifi light comes on then goes off.  It is not associated with any access point. The output states there is no config which is what I expect.

I am not sure why the wifi led is not staying on. Any suggestions?

Wifi light is only on if connected to access point. All LED's flash upon powerup, this is normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Question on Atari Fujinet versions:

The latest released according to here:  https://fujinet.online/firmware/releases_atari/releases.json  is

{
			"version": "2023-03-18 0.5.64f05da8",
			"version_date": "2023-03-18 20:36:30",
			"build_date": "2023-03-18 20:36:30",
			"description": "Implement UNMOUNT HOST ($E6) in FUJI device",
			"git_commit": "64f05da8",
			"url": "https://fujinet.online/firmware/releases_atari/fujinet-ATARI-0.5.64f05da8.zip",
			"sha256": "9abce0474e3ff6e9e59e0155b4e5f8252698f538ad5390aece85ad283e1c6105"
		}

But when I switch to this git commit using git checkout 64f05da8 and look at version.h I see the following:

#define FN_VERSION_MAJOR 0
#define FN_VERSION_MINOR 5

#define FN_VERSION_BUILD "b87d30b7"

#define FN_VERSION_DATE "2023-03-18 18:52:26"

#define FN_VERSION_FULL "0.5.b87d30b7"

9 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

Question on Atari Fujinet versions:

The latest released according to here:  https://fujinet.online/firmware/releases_atari/releases.json  is

{
			"version": "2023-03-18 0.5.64f05da8",
			"version_date": "2023-03-18 20:36:30",
			"build_date": "2023-03-18 20:36:30",
			"description": "Implement UNMOUNT HOST ($E6) in FUJI device",
			"git_commit": "64f05da8",
			"url": "https://fujinet.online/firmware/releases_atari/fujinet-ATARI-0.5.64f05da8.zip",
			"sha256": "9abce0474e3ff6e9e59e0155b4e5f8252698f538ad5390aece85ad283e1c6105"
		}

But when I switch to this git commit using git checkout 64f05da8 and look at version.h I see the following:

#define FN_VERSION_MAJOR 0
#define FN_VERSION_MINOR 5

#define FN_VERSION_BUILD "b87d30b7"

#define FN_VERSION_DATE "2023-03-18 18:52:26"

#define FN_VERSION_FULL "0.5.b87d30b7"

It's due to the way our version script runs. If you're building from source, building master is the best bet

I can build from master for a devkit build.

I am looking to build up and put up for sale some of the devkit build units.   

I was trying to get a build to match exactly the latest stable that comes from the FujiFlasher but for devkit.

If you have any other suggestion, I am all ears.

11 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

Yes the most recent stable version like is listed here:

https://fujinet.online/firmware/releases_atari/releases.json 

The easiest way to build the same is go by the build date/time which is exactly when I build it. github doesn't really do a good job of showing time/date but you can run git log from the command line and see more details

• 1 month later...

I have tears falling down my face, you actually cut up JAE SIO cords for Fujinets. The BEST Atari SIO cables when left intact are in fact those very cables.

This is a sad day, and I ask flags of all nations be hung at half staff... at least in JAPAN, The Americas, Poland, Germany, The Baltic states, and the UK.

Might be good to clarify RAM spec and Flash memory spec.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1