IGNORED

Gameboy games on the SNES mini?

Pretty certain, that's impossible.

You can't rip games through the mini via the SGB. The SGB is literally a Gameboy without the handheld parts of it using the SNES to do the work.  To rip the GB games you'd need a tool that rips the carts directly.  From there you'd need a tool (I remember people trying to figure this out over 15 years ago having issues back then) to append the SGB software to the ROM and THEN emulate the entire GB hardware necessary for it to work.  There is no shortcut.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah back then i tout that gameboy games were just emulated on the snes,untill i found out that the gameboy was a totally different system and realized that the gameboy hardware has been put in a sgb cartride,

HOWEVER nes games can be emulated on the snes since both systems uses the same type cpu in wich those adress registers can be lined up together sothat nes games become readible while for audio digitized psg samples can be used,for background mode 2 or 4 can be used And lastly the snes cpu can be even used to serve as nes enhancement chips for supported games,as it has been proved with the nested emulator,and so with that said it’s beyond me why on earth nintendo never did come up with a nes cartride adaptor for the snes,as many parrents refused to buy a snes for their child because of lacking nes compatibility(i feel bad for those children) had nintendo made & released such nes catride for the snes,those parents may could,ve redecice to still buy a snes for their child to experience their nes games on snes in RGB & stereo,it also would,ve fixed that loading issue from the nes,so why not nintendo???? What a missed opertunity.

Oh, also if you have one of these it works with roms to.  Even nes roms.  But only 256k or less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324659941190?hash=item4b973d8f46:g:~BwAAOSwEFxgukZS

I have 2 somewhere.  And in a gameboy player with gamecube its great on the tv.  Except NES ZAPPER games don't work.  Because none of the cube to nes adapters work with the zapper.

6 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

A Game Boy Color cart (flash or not) wouldn't work in a Super Game Boy as it can't play Game Boy Color games.

Not true.  My copy of tomb raider for ganeboy color does not work and gives an error message saying the game was meant for gameboy color.  So not compatible.  But my copy of hexcite and nfl blitz both wich say gameboy color on the original box work fine in my super gameboy and give no error message.  So its not all gameboy color games.

2 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Not true.  My copy of tomb raider for ganeboy color does not work and gives an error message saying the game was meant for gameboy color.  So not compatible.  But my copy of hexcite and nfl blitz both wich say gameboy color on the original box work fine in my super gameboy and give no error message.  So its not all gameboy color games.

Are those last ones the black standard Game Boy shells with the corner cut out? Because those ones are not actually Game Boy color games but are standard Game Boy games which have added palette data when ran on a GBC.

41 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Are those last ones the black standard Game Boy shells with the corner cut out? Because those ones are not actually Game Boy color games but are standard Game Boy games which have added palette data when ran on a GBC.

Yes but then why does it say gameboy color on the box?

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.ebay.com/itm/393550212430&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjul-yqhIv3AhXWAp0JHUcYAMkQFnoECAYQAg&usg=AOvVaw0jfzuE30fYmX86bFXs9uWq

Edited by 0078265317

14 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Marketing partly.

Truth otherwise.

Gameboy Color had two modes.  Hybrid and Dedicated.

Hybrid stuck to using the standard clock speed GB and memory limits, this allowed those games to work on the original.  It also though allowed them to a higher class of depth to color all the visuals more beyond what the 4 shades of minimalist the SuperGB did at a basic level.  The Dedicated games have a see through shell, those work with 2x the CPU mhz and 4x the RAM/WRAM present along with DMA added too.  In that mode you could run FMV, large levels of animation, sampled audio, the full GBC color limit for on screen in motion with a very (into the 1000s) high color mode left usually to still images but could be used for background in some capacity.

So Hexcite is a black cart as was Blitz.  A game like Dragon's Lair (simulated FMV and larger audio samples), Cannon Fodder (FMV and higher color), Metal Gear Solid (more about animation, ai, and color here), Warlocked (warcraft clone with lots of AI lots of speech, and color use) needed that added power.

At a stupid basic level fire up a video or images of Dragon Warrior 1+2 and then Dragon Warrior 3 on GBC.  They used the hybrid and then dedicated carts... check the differences in what should have been similar, you can see the changes and hear it a bit too.

3 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

My Tomb Raider is also a clear cart with battery.  Thats why it said it was designed for gbc and wont run.  I wonder how many gbc carts were black andvhow many were clear.

Anyhow so a flash cart like this wont work?

GBC Flash Cart

No that'll run the GBC only games just fine.  All that is is a knockoff of an everdrive gb, which runs both.  It's the hardware that's picky, not the cartridges.

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

No I mean will it work in the super gameboy on the SNES?

The Everdrive GB does work in a super gameboy, but it's still limited to running original and black plastic gbc carts, no GBC only see through carts possible, they'll do the same as they would on a Gameboy, tell you no, because the SGB is a GB board/chipset in there just using the SNES for output and fluff.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, Tanooki said:

The Everdrive GB does work in a super gameboy, but it's still limited to running original and black plastic gbc carts, no GBC only see through carts possible, they'll do the same as they would on a Gameboy, tell you no, because the SGB is a GB board/chipset in there just using the SNES for output and fluff.

Not just output and fluff... it uses the SNES clock rate so all of the Game Boy games run slightly fast unless you mod it or buy a Super Game Boy 2. The PAL Super Game Boy runs a bit slower than the NTSC Super Game Boy but still slightly faster than a Game Boy.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Not really relevant to the subject, but yes I know it's slightly off speed.  But he was asking about compatibility of what games will or won't work, not if it runs like 2% off speed.  I saw someone selling a drop in repair for the original, it always seems when I look to be out of stock as I'd solder that in vs buying the Japanese sequel.