IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA setup and hardware guide

awbacon

Not yet, but hopefully later this year. I think this is going to be my take on the "Zimba 3000".

I'm super busy right now, so I'm just thinking about the implementation so far...

• Video options: likely going with cheap HDMI to VGA converter (but maybe HDMI - depends on where this thing will end up sitting); will also need a fan, too, though.
  • RAM options: likely going with cheaper $20 CAN 32MB, rather than springing for the ~$100 CAN 128MB.
  • USB options: likely will try a simple USB hub for set-up, but usually just the joystick will be plugged in (unless I need a keyboard for setup/computers).
  • Controller: I'm old school, or just old, so for me, the ideal controller is an arcade controller or something like a CX40 or equivalent - I really don't like most console controllers newer than that (especially "+" shaped D-pads). The MiSTer seems to be pretty good for controller setup, so I'll probably build an arcade controller with joystick, a bunch of fire buttons including "shoulder" buttons (somewhere), keypad, analog joystick, and paddle.

My favorite aspects are that the hardware and software seem pretty simple to set up, and I'll be able to play a bunch of systems with the same controller. This will be ideal for me as a barcade or living room setup. I'm not overly concerned with having things such as colors, lag, and scanlines 100% "perfect".

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:06 PM, 5-11under said:

Not yet, but hopefully later this year. I think this is going to be my take on the "Zimba 3000".

I'm super busy right now, so I'm just thinking about the implementation so far...

[..]

My favorite aspects are that the hardware and software seem pretty simple to set up, and I'll be able to play a bunch of systems with the same controller. This will be ideal for me as a barcade or living room setup. I'm not overly concerned with having things such as colors, lag, and scanlines 100% "perfect".

Many folks see the R-Pi and MiSTer in this manner. As do we.

Most all of my vintage gaming is done on Intel NUCs, but we plan on setting up a MiSTer (or two) in the reading room. They'll complement one another nicely.

All these modern minisystems are great for gaming in cozy attic rooms or temporarily setting up in a blanket fort.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, 5-11under said:

• Video options: likely going with cheap HDMI to VGA converter (but maybe HDMI - depends on where this thing will end up sitting); will also need a fan, too, though.
  • RAM options: likely going with cheaper $20 CAN 32MB, rather than springing for the ~$100 CAN 128MB.
  • USB options: likely will try a simple USB hub for set-up, but usually just the joystick will be plugged in (unless I need a keyboard for setup/computers).
  • Controller: I'm old school, or just old, so for me, the ideal controller is an arcade controller or something like a CX40 or equivalent - I really don't like most console controllers newer than that (especially "+" shaped D-pads). The MiSTer seems to be pretty good for controller setup, so I'll probably build an arcade controller with joystick, a bunch of fire buttons including "shoulder" buttons (somewhere), keypad, analog joystick, and paddle.

That's a good approach, because it will still handle ~98% of MiSTer's library, and is much cheaper. Problem with most of these guides is that they mostly promote the expensive options, which are often completely unneeded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past week or so, I've ordered all the parts for a MiSTer FPGA setup. I overspent on the controller, by buying parts from 4 different places, with 3 shipping costs, and some customs and duty charges, but oh well, I guess. I'll post details on the hardware and the install results when it's finished, but the controller will have digital joystick, analog joystick, paddle, keypad, and a bunch of buttons (TBD), all hooked up with an Ultimarc A-PAC, that can handle all the inputs.

• Like 1

I've got a bare-bones set-up started. Played Atari 2600 Activision Skiing, and was able to get a "patch" in less than 20 starts (which for me is way better than usual). I haven't tried any NES or newer consoles yet (still waiting for SDRAM), but I've discovered that for older systems, I prefer big, square, clear pixels, without than any sort of raster effects.

• Like 1

Cool..

8 hours ago, 5-11under said:

...but I've discovered that for older systems, I prefer big, square, clear pixels, without than any sort of raster effects.

I used to prefer things that way from the early 1990's (had no choice then) to about 2010. After that I went heavy on the effects. And in 2016 I toned everything down to subtleties and 10-20 percent of maximum. And that's where I stand today, just a touch of vintage. Like as if we had an uber-quality futuristic pro monitor in the 70's or 80's.

• 1 year later...

I received one for Christmas last year. And assembled it with the digital io board. Also does anyone no if it's possible to use a 4.3inch HDMI LCD  IPS Display on it. The display I bought list systems like raspberry Pi stuff which I'm not interested in. Hate to think I bought something that doesn't work with Mister. 

Since you have both the MiSTer and the 4.3inch HDMI LCD display and you are posting this question, would I be correct in assuming you actually tried to use the display with MiSTer and had a problem? Otherwise connect them up and try it out. I would expect that if your display works when connected to a computer with an HDMI output then it should also work when connected to MiSTer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...