IGNORED

Strange Monteverdi Budget Variant Found. Anyone have this?

swlovinist

I scored a strange Monteverdi budget variant.   Cardboard box, BI Mart price sticker, with instruction sheet explaining why other parts are not included.  Anyone else seen this?  What is the story with Monteverdi anyways?  Model looks like a Lloyds TV.   

02.JPG

04.JPG

03.JPG

035.JPG

06.JPG

05.JPG

01.JPG

• Like 1

Monteverdi was a trademark of Lloyd's. They sold a range of electronics products like calculators, radios, stereos, and such. This console is just a rebadge of the Lloyd's TV Sports 802 or 812 (I'm not actually sure what the difference is), and is fairly common.

As for the missing gun parts and disclaimer, I presume the pistol/rifle accessories came from a separate vendor than the one that manufactured the actual consoles (other systems from the likes of Hanimex and Radio Shack have the same gun, although sometimes also with a rifle forestock part that the Lloyd's/Monteverdi gun lacks), and when Lloyd's/Monteverdi decided to get out of the video game business, there must have not have been enough guns available to package with the consoles. And naturally, instead of ordering more guns, they just decided to liquidate their stock of gun-less systems. Again, though, I'm just conjecturing here.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 6:54 PM, BassGuitari said:

Monteverdi was a trademark of Lloyd's. They sold a range of electronics products like calculators, radios, stereos, and such. This console is just a rebadge of the Lloyd's TV Sports 802 or 812 (I'm not actually sure what the difference is), and is fairly common.

As for the missing gun parts and disclaimer, I presume the pistol/rifle accessories came from a separate vendor than the one that manufactured the actual consoles (other systems from the likes of Hanimex and Radio Shack have the same gun, although sometimes also with a rifle forestock part that the Lloyd's/Monteverdi gun lacks), and when Lloyd's/Monteverdi decided to get out of the video game business, there must have not have been enough guns available to package with the consoles. And naturally, instead of ordering more guns, they just decided to liquidate their stock of gun-less systems. Again, though, I'm just conjecturing here.

Yeah, I was mostly pertaining to the packaging as I have spoken with some other pong collectors who say they have not seen it before.   Thank you for the response and insight into the company though.  

21 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Yeah, I was mostly pertaining to the packaging as I have spoken with some other pong collectors who say they have not seen it before. 

I'm afraid I don't know the story with the box. ? Assuming that this was an ad-hoc liquidation situation, the perfunctory packaging makes sense. I surmise that the model number E-888 was made up for the TV Sports 825 systems that were being liquidated without guns (it isn't a known Lloyd's/Monteverdi model otherwise), possibly as a way of tracking inventory or sales as distinct from the normal TV Sports 825 sets.

That's my best guess, but I have no idea. ?‍♂️