IGNORED

Why not try port Super Mario 64 without vfx?

j1mp4ck

On 5/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, Jag64 said:

I did not know this. See, I would have thought the SDK(s) would have been better if software was considered more during development. In fact, I swear I read several times where Jack Tramiel had not even thought about software with the Jaguar early on, creating one of the biggest problems for the console.

I agree with your point; why try to make a Ford rearend work with a Chevy transmission on a Dodge engine? It serves little purpose than for someone to say, "I did it." And humans love doing things they're told they can't. Is it a waste of time? To me, but I can't define how others enjoy spending their time.

And anyway, back to the point - while Nintendo software was designed parallel with hardware (making your statement about SM64 and the N64 true), Atari's software, or lack there of, is well-documented.

tl;dr Was the Jaguar really made to run anything in particular? Because it feels like every single title, to this day, has been shoehorned onto the thing, usually working around multiple design problems.

I am sorry you feel this way. ;)

Seriously, a slightly more balanced view might help. 

5 hours ago, agradeneu said:

I am sorry you feel this way. ;)

Seriously, a slightly more balanced view might help. 

Maybe I just missed the game that utilized all the "potential" I've read about for a quarter century. Now we've all read (and seen) for decades that the hardware was difficult to work on. Now unless one of the British designers is here on the site reading these comments, I see no reason to pull punches. And if one of them is on the site, they know their machine failed miserably, and they both went on to be successes elsewhere. i.e. Whose feelings do I need to be considering here when talking about how bad the Jaguar was?

I love the Jaguar. It's the ultimate console for the contrarian. But FFS, at some point, either someone makes a game for the machine that looks better than a 16-bit hobbyist pile of sht, or we admit it can't be done. lol God bless, brother. *I'll mosey on out the programming area and back to the public zoo. ?

Edited by Jag64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jag64 said:

Maybe I just missed the game that utilized all the "potential" I've read about for a quarter century. Now we've all read (and seen) for decades that the hardware was difficult to work on. Now unless one of the British designers is here on the site reading these comments, I see no reason to pull punches. And if one of them is on the site, they know their machine failed miserably, and they both went on to be successes elsewhere. i.e. Whose feelings do I need to be considering here when talking about how bad the Jaguar was?

I love the Jaguar. It's the ultimate console for the contrarian. But FFS, at some point, either someone makes a game for the machine that looks better than a 16-bit hobbyist pile of sht, or we admit it can't be done. lol God bless, brother. *I'll mosey on out the programming area and back to the public zoo. ?

I think with Arne and you we have covered both sides of the spectrum. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Add in Jagchris and phillipj and there's your Dream Team developers right there.

Dude... Taking virtual potshots isn't helpful to the conversation especially when the remarks come out the clear blue sky... I have a few ideas, however comparing apples to oranges between the Jag and the N64 is not where I'd start on something like that. The Jag was meant to compete with the 16bit consoles and the 3DO console, which would be a better comparison in looking at how great 3D was pulled off on those system... Or even old graphical workstation that were prior to "Open GL" would to provide some means of working out some reasonable 3D graphics on the Jag... Then there are games on the Jag that does pull off decent graphics with texture mapping and shading despite low polygon content... Where there's a will there's a way thus is why I'll come up as many ideas as I like.

17 minutes ago, philipj said:

Dude... Taking virtual potshots isn't helpful to the conversation especially when the remarks come out the clear blue sky... I have a few ideas, however comparing apples to oranges between the Jag and the N64 is not where I'd start on something like that. The Jag was meant to compete with the 16bit consoles and the 3DO console, which would be a better comparison in looking at how great 3D was pulled off on those system... Or even old graphical workstation that were prior to "Open GL" would to provide some means of working out some reasonable 3D graphics on the Jag... Then there are games on the Jag that does pull off decent graphics with texture mapping and shading despite low polygon content... Where there's a will there's a way thus is why I'll come up as many ideas as I like.

People joining conversations in the "programming" section who can't/never will are not helpful.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a "glass half full guy" not an animal horns... but if you prefer to obscure the topic be my guest... in the meantime, here's one my favorites I'm quite sure the Jaguar can pull off... Videos like these keeps me motivated.

Not directed at anyone or a response to anything.

But, it may be more helpful to look at released games as a yardstick for what is possible.  In my opinion the rendering in Cybermorh, Club Drive and Iron Soldier is too laggy for a 3D platformer.  You could make all in-game objects 2D with 3D terrain.. but, it's still going to be laggy.

So, there's your answer:  The end result is a sub standard port with Nuntendo lawyers clawing at your door.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 5:09 PM, Gemintronic said:

Not directed at anyone or a response to anything.

But, it may be more helpful to look at released games as a yardstick for what is possible.  In my opinion the rendering in Cybermorh, Club Drive and Iron Soldier is too laggy for a 3D platformer.  You could make all in-game objects 2D with 3D terrain.. but, it's still going to be laggy.

So, there's your answer:  The end result is a sub standard port with Nuntendo lawyers clawing at your door.

Super Mario 64 is actually a laggy game to start with, it is around 20 FPS which is not much better than Iron Soldier.

Lumping Jaguar games together that perform very differently does not help your argument either, e.g. 

Cybermorphs rendering speed is much slower than Iron Soldiers.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JagChris said:

That shouldn't be a problem especially with the ram upgrade the GD gives the Jag.

Off you go then Chris, get cracking with this, we're all still waiting for your particular fountain of knowledge to produce.... anything?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...