IGNORED

Why not try port Super Mario 64 without vfx?

j1mp4ck

On 2/12/2023 at 5:59 PM, GorfLover said:

There's someone who SWORE that the Jag could do Super Mario 64 with absolutely no problem. He hasn't been here for a while. Is there anyone who can reach out?

Everyone I know that could currently attempt a 3D platformer on the Jag has responded in this topic. 

If you really want a demonstration of how many polygons Gorf has produced check out this demo:

Getting anything up and running on the Jag is an accomplishment.  This video is certainly more than my programming efforts to date.  I just wanted to give you something tangible so you can better judge his statements.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Everyone I know that could currently attempt a 3D platformer on the Jag has responded in this topic. 

If you really want a demonstration of how many polygons Gorf has produced check out this demo:

Getting anything up and running on the Jag is an accomplishment.  This video is certainly more than my programming efforts to date.  I just wanted to give you something tangible so you can better judge his statements.

actually, Jag can show thousands or more polygons... but not in one frame ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, GorfLover said:

I'm just saying, the dude said he could easily do Rogue Squadron if given enough time. That was years ago. Here's the code for Mario 64, why not now?

I've already shown you actual footage of what he demonstrably can do.

To a non-programmer I can see where C code looks like C code.   A "printf" command should work the same on a PC or Atari ST.

The problem is: classic consoles perform graphic, audio and input vastly differently per system.  What's easy on one might be very hard (or impossible) on another.  That's the blessing and curse of classic gaming hardware.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I've already shown you actual footage of what he demonstrably can do.

To a non-programmer I can see where C code looks like C code.   A "printf" command should work the same on a PC or Atari ST.

The problem is: classic consoles perform graphic, audio and input vastly differently per system.  What's easy on one might be very hard (or impossible) on another.  That's the blessing and curse of classic gaming hardware.

I don't see what that video shows. A handful of polygons with no game logic doesn't prove much of anything. I don't recall seeing anyone pull off anything resembling a 3D platformer, tech demo or otherwise, on the Jaguar, let alone something like a Super Mario 64, and certainly not a considerably more complex game like Rogue Squadron developed by another world class development team.

With 3D stuff on the Jaguar, I always think of a round peg trying to be put into a square hole. I'd personally much rather see its 2D potential explored, as that's one area where I think it can still impress. Even with that, often-enough, the sprite work is a bit unpolished and doesn't show off the Jaguar in the best of light, so I'm certainly not talking just any 2D game (keeping in mind that programming of any type like that is an impressive feat all on its own).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1