IGNORED

Apple iie help loading game to play

I just purchased an apple iie recently for a great price with a duo disk drive. I know about the apple iie besides having it at my elementary school over 40 years ago. I bought it purely four nostalgia purposes and some game play. 

So can someone help me in loading a disk to play image.thumb.jpg.8f0ca996afb004510ef6a449ace7ffbd.jpga game??? I bought a copy of donkey king from a reputable seller on eBay and slide the disk in, I hear the disk spinning in disk drive and it’s still on the apple //e page. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

Clean the heads on your DuoDisk drives and make sure that the diskette you're using is in good shape.

Look for blotches on the magnetic media (which would indicate mould) or a concentric scratch at track zero (near the outer edge of the diskette).

Apple drives read from the bottom, so look at the underside of the diskette.

Mould means that (a) your heads are dirty for sure and (b) the diskette is junk

• Like 1

Yes. And mold can transfer from one disk to the next, or leave enough behind on the head to where it fucks up the next disk. Promise you that. So after trying to read a non-readable disk (especially one starting to shed the dried lube coating, binders, and oxides) a head cleaning is required. No way around it unless you want to start damaging the next disk.

As a matter of fact, I'm doing head cleanings inbetween most (but not all) disks now. Not extensive runs or anything, just a few seconds of alcohol/silicone/water mix on a head cleaning disk. Enough to wipe away the shedding material.

It's not the like carefree days of the 80's and swapping disks by the boxfulls during 2am warez sessions. This is just how some old disks need to be handled. Most are now over 40 years age!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1