IGNORED

Some basic Wing War porting attempt

Great advices everyone, I will try to find the time and energy to continue! 

A bit off topic but given that this is some kind of virtual game design room, I will share it anyway. Check out this link with some video footage about the design on Wing War at the Imagic office back in the days: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-imagic-1-2-3_1235.html

(I got this hint in a french gaming forum)

• Like 1

Hi, 

here are few attempts using different colours for the marks on the background walls.

Orange on red might be best actually.

White on red gives too much contrast. Yellow on orange does not feel like Wing War.

What do you say?

White on red: 

1146008879_Screenshot2021-03-22at21_27_04.thumb.png.e4a683a13a593edb8fa1649a492e6efa.png

Yellow on red:

718912409_Screenshot2021-03-22at21_16_49.thumb.png.18fa3be58dfeaee6af5663741c2d6b67.png

Orange on red:

491507994_Screenshot2021-03-22at21_15_27.thumb.png.d374fcc692a272171d69c4c5861b33e1.png

Yellow on orange

515772128_Screenshot2021-03-22at21_22_52.thumb.png.48b96f9fa515c28921d97272b7e10f8f.png

Looks considerably better.

Now, have you considered how many total tiles you have available for the background?  I mean, subtracting any cards for sprites, fonts, and other incidental objects, what is the number of GRAM cards you can dedicate to the background scene?

It may be that you can use more than 27 and cram even more detail. ;)

-dZ.

I have around 10 more rooms to draw in the caverns & I have now a basic set of tiles.

So I think I will try to re-use them as much as possible and see where I end up.

I think I will separate the cavern world from the outside world so I don't need to load all the game tiles in one go.

But anyway you have a point, I should do some maths first!

28 minutes ago, Vincehood said:

I have around 10 more rooms to draw in the caverns & I have now a basic set of tiles.

So I think I will try to re-use them as much as possible and see where I end up.

I think I will separate the cavern world from the outside world so I don't need to load all the game tiles in one go.

But anyway you have a point, I should do some maths first!

If the caverns are separated in different levels, you should be able to load a new tile set for each one.  Remember, you have 64 GRAM cards to use at a time.

Personally, I would recommend to get as much detail as possible on the scenery and sprites, and only compromise when you hit some limitation.  That's what I meant before when I said that I start with an "ideal" scene and then adapting it until it fits the available constraints.  Otherwise, you risk losing out on making your game look as cool as it could. ;)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 8:34 AM, Vincehood said:

I have started to integrate some of the rooms I created with the tile manager. Still a lot of details to improve:

I'm pleasantly surprised by how in an early state this already looks so great and faithful to the source material. It doesn't feel compromised like some ports to Intellivision do.

Something that would go a long way in improving over the original is have as much variety in background color schemes as is doable and use them to distinguish different general areas/sections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

you can see the original game (minute 6.01). The sprite animation at minute 5.50.

You'll notice it was a scrolling game, strongly inspired (maybe copied) to Fathom as mechanics (at least at the ground level, maybe it was just like Fathom, with single screens on the sky/underground and scrolling at ground level). Probably there wasn't an underground level due to memory problems (below you can see the cavern going directly on ground level).

Below you can see 3 drawings that M.Becker made from the real game. He explained he put a transparent paper on the TV in pause mode to make a better copy, so they were very similar to the original.

So it is sure that the dragon was intended to be green (light green if you see the video) and not exactly white like coleco version.

When the dragon died it went black and upside like coleco version (you can see it in the video).

I think they used Fathom volcano (last one the Fathom picture) and copied some other things.

Anyway it seems you're doing a better work than the original. Keep going on it please:)

ww1.jpg

ww2.jpg

ww3.jpg

fathom2.gif

Edited by Alex.Pace
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...