IGNORED

Looking for a “classic” joystick

I’d like to find a “classic” joystick for my NES, like a good old Atari CX40. It has a stick and a button.

I have some Amazon gift dollars to spend and thought I could find something there. A search for “nes joystick” yielded very few results. Am I searching with the wrong terms?

Can anyone here offer a recommendation?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! :)

@Rhomaios It's a bit big but something along the same lines of durability would be nice. I like Wico joysticks because they are very tough.

@K-Rod 13 Yes, something like that! How durable is it? Can it take some hard jerks or it prone to breaking from heavy use? I will definitely look into this model.

I think I have one of those quickshots on a shelf around here, never bothered to use it.  It's based directly being a copy of a PC joystick that I did use extensively in the early 90s playing the old Wing Commander TIE and Xwing games for more hours than I could guess without a problem so it's not weak.

• Like 1

You might search for "NES Arcade Stick".  I'm suddenly intrigued with one I found on eBay and Amazon that Does have MicroSwitches (Like the Emio for NES Classic), except this is made for NES, but, and here comes a Huge Caveat,  It's made by Retro-Bit.  Probably a dealbreaker for me as I've had it with the crap joysticks they've made in the past.  And I know everyone is trying to forgive them because they Finally put out one good Genesis pad, (And technically I don't hate my Retro-Duo), But I also still remember that the worst Genesis pad I ever bought was by Retro Bit and their SNES pads sucked too for the most part, except for the wireless version which were OK as I recall (I barely ever use them so I'm going off of my initial reaction).

I really wish this was made by someone else (ATGAmes or Hyperkin would be fine...there, I said it).  Still it looks like it'd be hard to mess this one up.   Looks like an NES Advantage, and if it really has microswitches and controls like the Emio, well (begrudgingly) it might be worth a look...(Although no turbo)

s-l500.jpg Now,  Doesn't it look similar to this one for NES Classic?   81gu3Xm1-JL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I recommend the old (and not on amazon) NES version of the Epyx 500xj (aka Konix Speedking in euroland).  I grew up with the Atari version and it's a very responsive, reliable, and durable stick. Its durability was the reason my parents got me one, since I was too young to understand the proper force to apply and broke a number of sticks prior. 

The NES 500xj is quite commonly available on ebay, etc.  It's not so great for the games people usually want to play on NES (SMB, contra, metroid), but it is perfect for the NES's more classic-era games (balloon fight, galaga, elevator action), and it really shines on something like an NT Mini where it does fantastic for 2600/7800/etc, since that's the controller I'd typically use for that era anyway. Lately I've been playing pac-man ce, and choosing the 500xj over my neo geo to nes controller adapter, as the 500xj's shorter throw is noticeably more responsive than typical arcade hardware.

I will say that while the 500xj prided itself on ergonomics BITD, it developed a reputation as a bit of a hand-crippler.  I grew up on one, and even I actually have to switch hands every so often, using it both rh and lh. Yes, the pain is real with this controller.

awesome stick, but not available on amazon:

1hxFbvD.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 10:43 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Not sure how well it works, but another option is the Suncom Mothership.

boxed-nintendo-nes-mother-ship_1_195d66039043e4d19fc220244ec48605.thumb.jpg.fc9a66857228301fa46b37ef842f980f.jpg

Basically, you stick a control pad inside, and it turns it into a joystick.  I have one, but since I prefer pads I've never tried it out.  Could be another option for you to look for.

I bought one of those from Radio Shack but they just weren't responsive at all...

I also got the Beeshu Zinger in my quest for an Atari style joystick for the NES but that thing wore out quick, the plastic was so cheap that it grinded away at the stick's base, producing dust, to the point where it didn't work anymore.

I've always had lousy lucky with 3rd party NES controllers so I ended up using paper towels & vinyl tape to have padding around the standard gamepads. :P

As a side note, I was curious about finding a video showing the Mother Ship in use... and I stumbled across a website selling them for $19.

That sounds both more than I'd want to pay, but somehow cheaper than I was expecting.

Has anyone heard of "Lukie Games"?  https://www.lukiegames.com/suncom-mothership-joystick-nintendo

13 hours ago, DavidD said:

As a side note, I was curious about finding a video showing the Mother Ship in use... and I stumbled across a website selling them for $19.

That sounds both more than I'd want to pay, but somehow cheaper than I was expecting.

Has anyone heard of "Lukie Games"?  https://www.lukiegames.com/suncom-mothership-joystick-nintendo

Yeah, I use them a lot, both on their site, and on ebay.  Unless things recently changed on their site, they have a $25 of stuff=free shipping deal, as well as a rewards program.  Good people.  If you sort by price to do your shopping, do a second search for the game by name, you might find a slightly more expensive one in better shape. (I find myself sorting for cheap stuff to make $25 worth of purchase a lot there)

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 2:14 AM, Trinity said:

What I would love would be a four way only joystick for the pacman games. I hate mashing a d-pad and then ending up going in the wrong direction at a corner while playing pacman. So frustrating!

They make plastic overlays/inhibitors that prevent shifting the stick diagonally. I've never seen such a thing for a joypad, though, and doubt it can be done cleanly.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you thought of looking into wireless?  I've personally considered buying wireless adapters and then using something like this and a receiver.

I'm not 100% sure it will work and it's little spendy, but that's the hobby these days. ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GJC5WSS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_J7WKGZZWJX2NR8X0FC77?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1