IGNORED

Quickest way to sync controllers via BT?

Rick Dangerous

It sometimes takes me 5-10 minutes to get a controller to be recognized by the system. It's ridiculous.

Is there a faster way? I hit the atari button, it starts flashing, and then it stops after 1-2 minutes.  If I tap the atari button, nothing, if I hold it, it stops, if I tap A nothing.  Sometimes it blinks faster and then connects I have no idea why. 

This problem is getting old quickly, please help. What is the suerfire way to get connected in 10 seconds like every other console. 

Yeah, they're still working out all the bluetooth bugs.  It seems that is the biggest problem with this console.  I can't get out of apps or chrome if a controller falls asleep. As long as I keep the controller on (push a button every 10 minutes or so) it works fine.

And you can't even plug it in to sync it; because when you unplug it it goes dark again and you have to start over with the BT process.  Such a pain.

Any hacks worked for anyone?  Proximity to console?  Pointing the controller at the front of the unit, etc.? 

Hopefully will be rectified in a shortly incoming update. 

Did you update your system to the latest firmware? Previously that used to be a problem, but 
my controllers now sync in about 3-5 seconds, since the first update, and the same with 2nd.
One thing - you just need to tap the Atari button, if you already paired it once before. That's
also the case with waking the console - tap the Atari button, and the console starts to come
out of sleep immediately, the display comes on, and then it takes about 3-5 seconds to link.
Holding the button until it flashes causes it to go into pairing mode, which causes problems.

If the VCS is sleeping, the light on the front will flash every 3 seconds or so.  You can then wake the VCS by just pressing the Fuji button on the controller.  The controllers should pair in about 5-10 seconds.  If you are shutting the VCS off completely then it would take a little longer to pair.  5-10 Minutes is unacceptable though.  Mine usually take 30 to 60 seconds from being shut off.  Have you updated the controller firmware?  There is an update for the controllers as well as the Bios and OS.  Check into that, I believe the controller must be wired to perform the update though.  If that does not work, try contacting Atari support using the link I provided to you before.  Good luck.

Glad you figured it out, but that raises another question.  If you were only 10 feet away, why was there an issue?  I am at least 15 feet away and don't have any issues.  I wonder if perhaps you bumped one of the antennas off.  I might open it up again and check to be sure.

• Like 1

Antenna? Like the Wi-Fi antennas? I didn't realize they were what made the bluetooth connection.. I was %99.9 percent sure they were GTG when I sealed it back up but probably not a bad idea.  I have it hooked up to the net through ethernet currently since it's upstairs near my modem. 

• Like 1

Hmm.  I thought they were one in the same, but I could be wrong.  I don't want you to think that you have to open up the machine again if you don't have to.  Maybe a little more research on the subject first...?

Ok Rick, the module inside the VCS is a  REALTEK RTL8822CE.  It is an integrated Wifi and Bluetooth module.  It supports Bluetooth 5.0 and 802.11ac as well as a/b/g/and n band Wifi.  Find a full description here: https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8821ce  If you are currently using Ethernet, you may want to try using Wifi from another room just to test the module and range before opening the case again.  Just my 2p.  Hopefully this helps shed some light on your issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been wondering about the range, although I have not had any major issues. I did notice that I lost connection to one of my Classics last night, probably when I bluetooth sync'd it to Android or something. When I tried to Bluetooth connect, it just sat there blinking. What I did was turn the controller off (hold down Atari button), then turn it on by holding down the Atari button for a few seconds then unpressing it. The Atari button will blink differently than what it blinks at when connecting over Bluetooth, and that got the controller sync'd in a few seconds.