IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA - 7800 Core

RevEng

23 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

@dualcam - Beautiful - thank you!  Can you describe the steps you followed to configure the 2600-PDL for both MiSTer Main and the core (in terms of input settings)?

Also, since the core expects the fire button to be registered as button 1 but paddle as button 3, is that accounted for (so that one can simply swap between joystick and paddle seamlessly without having to reconfigure device or core inputs)?

I think I used the same steps as most people - struggled and failed to do it myself.  Googled and found a map file for the D9.  Changed the name to reflect the 2600-PDL's USB PID, and then the paddles worked.

I doubt this is the answer you were looking for.  I would like to go back at some point and try again to manually map it myself to understand it, but this got a working paddle which is all I was wanting to accomplish at the time.  In retrospect, some of my trouble was probably not understanding some of terminology used - like MiSTer just says "sticks" which I was not initially getting was their reference to analog axis.  Also, and I think this might have been my main problem, I was not setting the "peripheral ports" in the 7800 core - confusing as I don't think I had ever seen controller jacks refereed to as "peripheral ports".

24 minutes ago, dualcam said:

I think I used the same steps as most people - struggled and failed to do it myself.  Googled and found a map file for the D9.  Changed the name to reflect the 2600-PDL's USB PID, and then the paddles worked.

Indeed, as a) I would like to be able to reproduce it myself so I understand both the mechanics of how MiSTer sees the device *AND* the core sees the device (which aren't the same thing!), and b) I strongly suspect that for at least the MiSTer switch setting you may need to 'lie' and send a different button ID for the paddle for it to be hot-swappable with a joystick in your adapter (again, only on MiSTer, due to the fact that the paddle input wants to come from a "button 3" for reasons).

Perhaps "button 3" is gamepad X (and then Y for paddle #2, leaving A/B just for joystick buttons 1/2).  Mapping an actual gamepad and then trying it in the 7800 core to see what gamepad things work as what in the core might help decipher the mapping.

Tom

• 5 months later...

hello all, i have a 2600daptor and a 2600daptor II but cant get them to work with the 7800/2600 core.

when i am in the Mister OSD, and rotate the paddles, the device does get input signals and moves the selection cursor left/right and up/down.

but when i load Breakout ROM and select "Paddle" in the input menu, the sprite in the game just jumps to the side of the screen and stays there. i cannot move it.

does someone have a step by step instruction of how to set this up correctly?

Edited by Stechmann