IGNORED

Sprites getting chopped

BydoEmpire

I'm using sprites to show the map screen in Wizard's Dungeon.  In js7800 and MAME there's no issue, but in Bupsystem and likely real hardware ( @-^CrossBow^- has tested) we see an issue w/ sprites getting chopped off (see attached picture).  It seems more like the rightmost column sprites are usually chopped off, whether I have 10 rooms shown or 30 or 64.  It's an 8x8 grid of 8x8 sprites - so 64 total sprites and none should overlap with each other. There are no other sprites on the screen.  I'm guessing i'm just trying to draw too much at once, but I'm wondering what options I have.

The general idea is

1. draw the background tiles

2. gosub draw_map (which loops through and draws the actual map tile sprites)

3. savescreen

4. drawscreen

5. loop until unpause to go back to the game

GameStage_Map
/****************************************************/
    rem ** copy empty tile here
    clearscreen
    memcpy currentmapdata screenmap_pause 280
    plotmap currentmapdata 1 0 0 20 12
    if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_MAP)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 1 3 20 12 TILE_MAP
    if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_KEY)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 1 4 20 12 TILE_KEY
    if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_RING)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 1 5 20 12 TILE_RING
    if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_HAT)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 1 6 20 12 TILE_HAT
    if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_STAFF)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 1 7 20 12 TILE_STAFF
    if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_CLOAK)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 1 8 20 12 TILE_CLOAK

if (weapon_available&2)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 18 4 20 12 TILE_BOW
    if (weapon_available&4)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 18 5 20 12 TILE_SWORD
    if (weapon_available&8)<>0 then pokechar currentmapdata 18 6 20 12 TILE_SCROLL

rem ** if we're pausing in a room with active gates, keep them on unpause
    if (room_status_bits&ROOM_BIT_HAS_GATES) then room_status_bits = room_status_bits | ROOM_BIT_PAUSE_DURING_GATES

map_initialdraw
    gosub draw_map

rem ** draw dungeon level on map screen
    temp1=dungeon_level+1
    debugroomcode=converttobcd(temp1)
    plotvalue scoredigits_8_wide_centered 2 debugroomcode 2 76 0

savescreen
    drawscreen
    pause_debounce=PAUSE_DEBOUNCE
    playsfx sfx_gotomap

map_waittounpause
    restorescreen

gosub draw_status

drawscreen

if pause_debounce>0 then pause_debounce=pause_debounce-1 : goto map_waittounpause

if switchpause then goto map_unpause

goto map_waittounpause
map_unpause
    pause_debounce=PAUSE_DEBOUNCE    ;'don't let player immediately jump back to map accidentally

clearscreen
    gosub update_to_new_room
    savescreen
    playsfx sfx_gotomap
    goto mainloop_returnfrompause

draw_map
    for temploop=0 to 63
        rem ** if we don't have a map AND it hasn't been visited, don't draw this room
        ;'if (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_MAP)=0 && (generated_level[temploop]&$80)=$80 then goto draw_map_next ;' don't show unvisited rooms
        z = generated_level[temploop] & $f  ; ' room walls
        x = temploop & $7
        y = temploop/8
        tempx = x*12 : tempx = tempx+36
        tempy = y*16 : tempy = tempy+42
        rem ** maybe use a different palette for gravestones or other special items
        x=0 ;' flag for "have we plotted"
        rem ** show gravestone rooms only if we have the map, otherwise get out
        if temploop=current_room_number then x=1 : plotsprite maptile00 2 tempx tempy z
        if x=0 && room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_GRAVESTONE then x=1 : plotsprite maptile00 PAL_MAP tempx tempy z
        if x=0 && room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_STAIRS then x=1 : plotsprite maptile00 5 tempx tempy z

; staff will show any non-coin/gold item rooms
        t2=0    ;' 1 if it's a treasure we don't want to highlight the location of
        if room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_GOLD || room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_COINS then t2=1
        if room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_CHEST_OPEN || room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_CHEST_CLOSED then t2=1
        if room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_GEM || room_item_list[temploop]=TILE_NECKLACE then t2=1
        if room_item_list[temploop]<>255 && t2=0 then t1=1 else t1=0    ;' t1 is that's a special item we want to highlight
        if x=0 && t1=1 && (extra_item_bits&ITEM_BIT_STAFF)<>0 then x=1 : plotsprite maptile00 5 tempx tempy z

;'if (generated_level[temploop]&$80)=$80 then goto draw_map_next ;' don't show unvisited rooms
        ;'x=0 means we have not yet drawn this room
        if x=0 then x=1 : plotsprite maptile00 3 tempx tempy z
draw_map_next
    next

return

Note I've commented out two lines to force drawing all the sprites every time to debug the worst case.

Bonus, for those that care to look at the source, you can see which magic item shows special rooms on the map ;) 

map sprite bug.JPG

Edited by BydoEmpire

I also get this map room issue on A7800 as well. So Bubsystem, A7800 and my actual 7800 will do this. But on my 7800 it looks a little different. I'm going to finally load up the latest BIN you sent me and capture my gameplay to show this.

Unless it is my luck that it decides to work now all of a sudden! LOL!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I also get this map room issue on A7800 as well. So Bubsystem, A7800 and my actual 7800 will do this. But on my 7800 it looks a little different. I'm going to finally load up the latest BIN you sent me and capture my gameplay to show this.

Unless it is my luck that it decides to work now all of a sudden! LOL!

I realized I was using 8x16 sprites for each room for no reason.  I cut them down to 8x8 - the actual size of the image - and I was hopeful but it didn't change anything.  Good to save the space, though, every byte counts at this point.

All the versions posted on the official thread draw every sprite every frame, instead of drawing once and then using savescreen, which is the change I sent to you.  That didn't fix it either.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I will just use the BIN you listed here to fix the weapon reset issue and see what I get on my actual 7800. I do recall that on the 7800 it wasn't showing the complete graphic, but it was more than just a straight broken line for each room. More like a letter C look or something.

I'd guess that your hunch is right and you might be running out of plot time or DL memory.

If I'm using RAM I give the DL some extra RAM so that I can plot more stuff. You will always run into a brick wall eventually though as you will run out of cycles no matter how much DL memory you allocate.

I think you are using a flat 48k scheme ? do you have anything at $2200 (internal RAM) ? you could try :

set extradlmemory on

To expand your display list & see if the extra DL memory helps. linky

What is your zone size? I had a similar issue on one of my experiments when using sprites instead of baking the tiles in with a save screen. My sprites that I was gridding out were not on the vertical zone boundary so each sprite was overlapping 2 zones meaning more work and not enough time / DL memory (I forget which). I aligned them vertically to work with the zone and the issue went away.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Muddyfunster - I haven't set zoneheight so I'm assuming it's defaulting to 16. I do have a lot of 8x16 sprites in the game, though not on the map screen. Maybe that can be changed on the fly?  Setting zoneprotection on/off doesn't seem to fix anything.  I do have lots of data between $2200 and $2642.

• Like 1

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

So no need for me to test with the current released BIN in the original development thread?

No, thanks @-^CrossBow^- - I'm sure this is problem w/ the released bin. Looking at options. I really want to show both the map and your items, but maybe there are better ways to do it via pages or something if I can't resolve the display issue. I have a few other things to investigate first.  At least now I can repro via BupSystem.  if I get something working there I'll post a bin and that's probably worth testing further.

In the zones where the actual map is (i.e. not the top and bottom), are you drawing the background as one large character map that goes all the way across the screen and is blank in the middle, or as two smaller character maps for the left and the right? By my calculation, the latter will save 98 MARIA cycles per line with 2-byte characters (even more with 1-byte characters).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

In the zones where the actual map is (i.e. not the top and bottom), are you drawing the background as one large character map that goes all the way across the screen and is blank in the middle, or as two smaller character maps for the left and the right? By my calculation, the latter will save 98 MARIA cycles per line with 2-byte characters (even more with 1-byte characters).

It's one big character map.  I'll try splitting it up.  I could even eschew the sides of map background entirely if needed.  Thanks for the suggestion!

9 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

That did it (at least in BupSystem, where it was 100% before)!  Thanks @Pat Brady - this saved me so much time and avoided a much more complicated or less-appealing-for-the-user workaround.

• Like 2