IGNORED

XEGS-DS - 8-bit Power on the Nintendo DS/DSi

wavemotion

I'm just about ready for version 2.0 of XEGS-DS for the Nintendo DS handhelds. 

Generally runs the entire Atari 8-bit gaming library at full speed with high compatibility. I'm through testing about 4000 games - which, amazingly enough, isn't much more than half of the rom set I'm working with.  

If you've got an old DS lying around it can be turned into a serious retro handheld for the want of a $10 flash loader card ... if you're got an old DSi lying around you don't even need that - it will operate from the built-in SD card with a little of magic from Twilight++ Menu (open source menu replacement for the DSi).

Image.thumb.jpeg.764480dcde4ae7268c326db59fef7de8.jpegimage1a.thumb.png.c786dd5a0c4bdae6ab2b1a9be7585462.pngimage2a.thumb.png.3a1197fcad7fd094f8115d28c3e9db65.png

Edited by llabnip
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, zzip said:

Interesting.   I do have an old DSi,  do you have to hack it to get the new menu installed?

No... well, at least not really hacky :)

So there are 2 ways to get Twilight Menu (TWL++) installed. The first is to use a memory exploit - someone discovered that when you take a picture on the DSi (with the worlds worst resolution camera I think), it calls into a file that is located on the SD card which can be replaced to launch TWL++.

This does not permanently change your DSi and so it still functions as a stock DSi in every other way. Once Twilight Menu is running, you can launch any DS game and most GBA games from the SD card as well as all of the cool emulators (my contribution is emulators for the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari 8-bit but there are others... NES is damn near perfect, SMS, Turbo Grafx, etc). 

The OTHER way is to install custom firmware called UNLAUNCH - this removes the need for the memory exploit above and runs native custom firmware. This gives you maximum flexibility over the DSi and lets you run everything cleanly.  However, this is mostly a one-way ticket - your DSi firmware has been replaced and while it's theoretically possible to restore it, it might not be easily possible.  It will still launch and play stock DS games from cartridge of course. 

I have 4 DSi devices... two are running UNLAUNCH and two are stock DSi running the memory exploit.  For the purposes of the emulator, they all behave the same. 

This is the best guide to installing the memory exploit (called "memory pit") and/or custom firmware for the DSi:  https://dsi.cfw.guide/ 

TWL++ is working with emulation authors to incorporate the emulators into the TWL Menu (all 4 of my Atari emulators are so incorporated as are the more popular non-Atari ones).  So all games show up with little icons (though all 8-bit games will show with a stock Atari console icon) which are easy to click and run.

image.png.94be9c70c3279c61bcfa66672af7717a.png

Edited by llabnip

• 7 months later...

@llabnip - I was just playing around with XEGS-DS on my softmodded N3DS.  Everything works great except I cannot figure out how to get the emulator to run just BASIC all by itself.  Is there a way to do this?  Thanks.

Edited by SS

On 11/2/2021 at 6:47 AM, Asaki said:

I still need to try these out. Haven't been doing a lot of emulation lately.

BTW, there isn't a way to run these in DSi mode on a 3DS, is there?

My understanding is that a number of people are running my emulators on the 2DS and 3DS in DSi mode (faster/full speed) using Twilight Menu++. 

I do run them on my 2DS via a cheap $12 R4i flashcart... but only in DS mode (slower speed... still many of the games will play full-speed with frameskip options enabled).

• 1 month later...

This emulator is built in to Twilight Menu, however the version bundled is slightly out of date.  I find this emulator to be excellent running most games i have tried.

It's definitely a labor of love and the author is providing frequent updates (and seems open to suggestions to boot).

I'm hoping he adds cartridge rom support (as of now he supports xex and atr files).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 9:42 AM, oo7 said:

hmmm i have a 3ds i havnt used in years like new. can this run on it? What do I need?

Sorry for the delay in a response - for some reason I didn't get a notification (pilot error!)

So I've been told the emulator runs fine on the 3DS (or 2DS) but I've not tried it as I don't have a 3DS.  The main thing is to get access to homebrew software via either a flash cart or via running custom firmware.

On the DSi (I realize this isn't your case), this is most easily accomplished by one of two exploits:  

• Unlaunch which is custom firmware replacement - this replaces the normal DSi firmware with a firmware that will launch homebrew games and/or Twilight Menu++ which is a full-featured menu system for your system.
  • Memory Pit which is a clever hack someone discovered that uses the DSi camera as a method of entry into launching Twlight Menu++ which can then launch virtually any homebrew.

If you google TWL++ you will find fairly authoritative instructions for your particular unit.  Probably. :)

• Like 1