IGNORED

Have 7800 prototypes...

pongstroid

4 sets of Robotron, Galaga, Pole Position, and Ms. Pac Man.

Boards indicate: 32K EPROM / CARTRIDGE PROTOTYPE / REV 1 / 1984

Would love to get an idea of their worth / value.  

(oh... and I posted these about 17 years ago here... and then life happened.)

191F2F0C-E63A-444B-9D60-F767F2841CEB.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pongstroid said:

Not a fun week when I posted that.  My 2 year old son ran through a non tempered sliding glass door a day or two later.   Stitches and some scars for the little boy.  All is well now.  Forgot all about my post until today!

Sorry to read what happened to your son 17 years ago.  Glad he is well now. 

Appears that post and the protos were forgotten about in the last 17 years, at least on this forum...lol.  Time does fly.

Regardless, good luck with the sale.

16 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Sorry to read what happened to your son 17 years ago.  Glad he is well now. 

Appears that post and the protos were forgotten about in the last 17 years, at least on this forum...lol.  Time does fly.

Regardless, good luck with the sale.

Was going through my storage closest today and saw the bag those were stored in and I thought... oh crap!   I never followed up!   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Are the joystick port testers the 2600 or 7800 version.

And, I would be interested in a set but close up pictures would be nice. :)

Mitch

I’d presume they are 7800, but I don’t know for sure. All were given to me in the same bag well over 25 years ago.  

The pic is pretty high resolution.  What details are you looking for?

12 minutes ago, pongstroid said:

I’d presume they are 7800, but I don’t know for sure. All were given to me in the same bag well over 25 years ago.  

The pic is pretty high resolution.  What details are you looking for?

My mistake, when I first looked at the picture it didn't seem to want to zoom in. I wanted to see if it had the checksums printed on them, they don't.

How are you planning on selling them? Are you looking for offers or are you going to put them on ebay?

Mitch

The problem is that there are no check-sums on the labels, which make it difficult to determine value. I suspect they are final versions, which for released games generally means they are worth less.

Have you tested or played them? Do they work and do they seem any different?

Mitch

4 hours ago, Mitch said:

Are the joystick port testers the 2600 or 7800 version.

And, I would be interested in a set but close up pictures would be nice. :)

Mitch

Is there a 7800 version?  The port is exactly the same.

31 minutes ago, Mitch said:

The problem is that there are no check-sums on the labels, which make it difficult to determine value. I suspect they are final versions, which for released games generally means they are worth less.

Have you tested or played them? Do they work and do they seem any different?

Mitch

I have not since I first received them.     I’m looking around for my 7800 power supply now.  Not optimistic I can find it.  FWIW. I’m in Oakland CA.  If anyone was near who could have a look.  

7 hours ago, pongstroid said:

4 sets of Robotron, Galaga, Pole Position, and Ms. Pac Man.

Boards indicate: 32K EPROM / CARTRIDGE PROTOTYPE / REV 1 / 1984

Would love to get an idea of their worth / value.  

(oh... and I posted these about 17 years ago here... and then life happened.)

191F2F0C-E63A-444B-9D60-F767F2841CEB.jpeg

If you want to sell these on ebay, I think you need to get cartridge shells for them.

Then you can sell them as 4 packs of 4 games each.

I’d guess starting at 80$ each 4-pack is realistic, as these titles are very common.

Perhaps these boards can be sold to people in need of boards for production of more exotic titles...

... just a thought...

Edited by Giles N

56 minutes ago, pongstroid said:

I have not since I first received them.     I’m looking around for my 7800 power supply now.  Not optimistic I can find it.  FWIW. I’m in Oakland CA.  If anyone was near who could have a look.  

Found my power supply. Plus another 24 of the prototype boards.  And a red stickered board hosting Alpha Beam (w Ernie I presume).  

The games seem to be the same as the production carts.   Played a couple of minutes of each.  

So... offer away. 

1 hour ago, pongstroid said:

1100B1E2-5D7F-450D-A7D4-31D3ED283785.jpeg

Edited by pongstroid
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, pongstroid said:

Found my power supply. Plus another 24 of the prototype boards.  And a red stickered board hosting Alpha Beam (w Ernie I presume).  

The games seem to be the same as the production carts.   Played a couple of minutes of each.  

So... offer away. 

Can these boards be used for inserting other 7800-game-binaries/roms, or are they ‘locked’ with the titles you mention?

17 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Can these boards be used for inserting other 7800-game-binaries/roms, or are they ‘locked’ with the titles you mention?

I’m not an expert, but as they are socketed, they should allow that.  I’d trust others to say that with more authority. 

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Perhaps these boards can be sold to people in need of boards for production of more exotic titles...

Our boards are far more capable, it would be a shame to recycle them. 

And yes, of course you can swap EPROM's, they are socketed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Is there a 7800 version?  The port is exactly the same.

9 hours ago, Mitch said:

Yes, the 7800 diag cart uses a different one from the 2600 diag cart.

Mitch

Apparently, it's my lucky week at atariage.  A lot of former subjects are popping up. 

Years ago, I disassembled the 7800 Diagnostic cart, and put all of my findings on a webpage that's surprisingly still alive:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~harvey/7800/diag.html

The disassembled code reveals that the 7800 diagnostic cart requires 2 special pieces of hardware in its joystick ports to work.  They are different from the available 2600 ones, and I have never seen any evidence of the 7800 ones existing / being found.  I'm not sure if that has changed over time.  The ones listed in this thread "look like" my 2600 ones that I got from Best Electronics back in the day, which do not do what the 7800 needs them to do.  If these ones above are indeed 7800 adapters, that would be an exciting find.  I would potentially be interested in picking 2 of them if that were the case, as that project was dear to my heart back in the day.

I do have a diagram of what adaptor I built myself on that site I listed.  I'm not sure of any way to verify if they're 2600 vs. 7800 without the original poster downloading / testing either the 2600/7800 diagnostic cart and testing for themselves, or cracking on open (not recommended).  Obviously the resistor I added was just a guess; there are other values that probably work.

I think years ago, I asked someone on this site if they would ever make a small run of the 7800-based diagnostic port hardware (it might have even been @cpuwiz).  That was ages ago, before people did their own PCB design and 3d printing was available, etc... If these are found to be 2600 adaptors, I'd still be interested in someone making their own limited run, just so I can finish the saga and have something professional-looking to go along with my Diangostic Cart.

• Like 1