IGNORED

Report: PS3, PS Vita stores will close for good this summer

this is why i hate digital.  I've had a few digital games on PS4 already go missing over the years.  I collected physical for most of my ps4 collection, but in reality is there even a point?  Almost all the physical games seem to have day one patches to fix stuff, or add stuff that was never on the disc..  So 10-20 years from now, if I hook up my PS4 and let's say I'm dirt poor and don't even have internet access, can I still play the games after installing from the disc even though they are unpatched versions?

8 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

ugh, I also just went on the sony website and there seems to be no area where you can view your digital PS3 library.  So how will i even know what I have that I haven't downloaded yet!?!?

On PS3 download list.

Couple years ago, I took screenshots on the website of all my digital games for future reference.

This is why I hate digital media.

40 years after they were made, I can still pop in a physical cartridge in my 2600 or Intellivision and get gaming. Now, as soon a company decides to no longer support a platform, all your digital media is effectively gone.

I am still a bit shocked as with everyone stuck at home thanks to Corona, all console gaming has seen a huge jump in sales and thus also in profits for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

While I am certain PS3 would just be a small part of that, it still seems an odd time to decide to shut down any revenue steam while there are still continuing shortages of new consoles and an overall increased demand for console games. As it is all digital services, I cannot imagine it would be a huge expense for Sony to continue to offer PS3 sales and support?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/05/12/video-game-industry-coronavirus/

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54813841

Edited by Tavi
Forgot the 'Nintendo profits triple' link
  • Like 3

I'm not happy about this, but I also knew it was coming.

It's sort of the risk of doing any digital libraries. I'd argue they could figure out a way to close the store without cutting you off from your download list.

OH WELL! This just seems like full 100% justification to hack and mod your PSP, PS3, and PS Vita.

*puts on my pirate hat*

• Like 3

I'm sure that people are already working on putting all of those titles and patches on the net for downloading just as it was done for the Nintendo Wii. I don't know much about PS3 softmodding right now but I hope there is one that will allow you to use those downloaded titles and patches without getting your machine and account banned by Sony when connected to their services. This also brings up the question if and when they will no longer allow you to hook up the PS3 to PSN for Trophy acquisition and upload. I don't think they'll shut that part down but, given this current situation, it is a fair question to ask.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RARusk said:

I'm sure that people are already working on putting all of those titles and patches on the net for downloading just as it was done for the Nintendo Wii. I don't know much about PS3 softmodding right now but I hope there is one that will allow you to use those downloaded titles and patches without getting your machine and account banned by Sony when connected to their services. This also brings up the question if and when they will no longer allow you to hook up the PS3 to PSN for Trophy acquisition and upload. I don't think they'll shut that part down but, given this current situation, it is a fair question to ask.

I totally agree. There are many pieces of software that want to do an online handshake and so on. I really hope there is a final firmware that negates the need for any of that. I bet they think it's OK cause they can sell you the same games again via the PS Classics or a PS Now subscription on the PS4 and PS5. :(

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

OH WELL! This just seems like full 100% justification to hack and mod your PSP, PS3, and PS Vita.

I already have 2 out of 3 hacked. PS Vita is a nice emulation console plus the PSP and Vita libraries are pretty damn good.

After this announcement the PS3 will go next. 

PS3 slim is an amazing machine to play around with homebrew after a clean jailbreak. The most recent firmware did break some PSP and PS2 emulation on some slim models though. There has not been a new version of rebug to address this yet that I know of.

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Good thing I softmodded my PSP... might do my PS3 (it's a fat PS3 so the PS2 isn't emulated) soon too. 

Even if you end up at some point with a slim, the emulation is quiet good and it covers most titles. I wasn't expecting much out of the PS2 gaming side of things after my original BC fatboy died and I bought a slim to replace it but I'm happy to say I was surprised how good it is. PS2 and PSP both. The new version of the CFW is expected to address the loss of PS2 and PSP support on the various slim models that where effected so it will be back to smooth sailing in no time even for those with the current lapse in compatibility. That or you can go back a couple revisions of the firmware and stick to that for PS2 and PSP use via dualboot or the like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamemoose said:

It was bound to happen sometime for the Vita and PS3. I didn't see it (unless I'm blind) but it seems like PSN is still active for those consoles. It'll suck when that goes away as you need PSN to watch YouTube on a PS3.

Hopefully that can be untethered before it closes up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

It was bound to happen sometime for the Vita and PS3. I didn't see it (unless I'm blind) but it seems like PSN is still active for those consoles. It'll suck when that goes away as you need PSN to watch YouTube on a PS3.

Oh, we've still got a few months to go.

Kinda worried about the following becoming an issue, though:

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/23/digital-playstation-3-purchases-may-only-live-as-long-as-your-pram-battery-without-sony-servers/

The PS3 modding scene is going to ramp up quite a bit now as the modders try to find solutions to these various problems. I'm anxious to see what they come up with. I'm going to guess that Sony is also no longer going to do system updates for the PS3 after the shutdown. When somebody finally jailbreaks the last update then I would imagine the floodgates will open as Sony will no longer do anything to the system. Again, this is similar to what happened to the Nintendo Wii.

• Like 1

Actually, you can currently softmod the current official firmware (4.87) with a combination of a hybrid firmware and a piece of software called PS3Hen. It's supposed to work on the slims and superslim models. 

I'm not going to link it as I'm unsure of the exact specifics of being allowed to share modding stuff for newer consoles. It's a pretty easy process to do... Once you realize you're doing it wrong and then do it the RIGHT way! I have completed the process on my spare superslim PS3. Just waiting to test out a couple of the features on it, like ripping PS3 games or playing PS2 titles. 

And this is why I only game on PC and Xbox, at least Valve & Microsoft still care about making the backcatalog of games from years back available for future generations...

Wish I can say I can rely on getting physical copies for PS 1 thru 3 but I can't even find them at used games stores, let alone GameStop.  All scoffed up by retro YouTubers? :(

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:14 PM, KeeperofLindblum said:

Actually, you can currently softmod the current official firmware (4.87) with a combination of a hybrid firmware and a piece of software called PS3Hen. It's supposed to work on the slims and superslim models. 

I'm not going to link it as I'm unsure of the exact specifics of being allowed to share modding stuff for newer consoles. It's a pretty easy process to do... Once you realize you're doing it wrong and then do it the RIGHT way! I have completed the process on my spare superslim PS3. Just waiting to test out a couple of the features on it, like ripping PS3 games or playing PS2 titles. 

LMK how that works out with PS2 support as I have a slim that lost PS2 compatibility with the last version of rebug and\or the current version of evilnat cfw. :(  Dunno if I've missed something or what but now all I get is a black screen of doom on PS2 and PSP titles. Doesn't even reach the BIOS screen. Previously I had no issue with them. I've read something about netemu being the issue but didn't get to the cause or find a solution. Everything else is still working perfectly though like PS1, PS3, homebrew and emulators.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shawn said:

LMK how that works out with PS2 support as I have a slim that lost PS2 compatibility with the last version of rebug and\or the current version of evilnat cfw. :(  Dunno if I've missed something or what but now all I get is a black screen of doom on PS2 and PSP titles. Doesn't even reach the BIOS screen. Previously I had no issue with them. I've read something about netemu being the issue but didn't get to the cause or find a solution. Everything else is still working perfectly though like PS1, PS3, homebrew and emulators.

I haven't done a lot yet, but what little I've tested works well. 

I've installed a few PS2 games as packages, and so far the 2 I tested worked (Front Mission 4 and Bloody Roar 4). 

I couldn't get any PSP games to work, but I'm going to attempt these again with some changes. 

Regardless of the soft modding, I'm gonna keep 1 PS3 as the official version with all my official items on it. (I have a slim and a superslim.)