IGNORED

Report: PS3, PS Vita stores will close for good this summer

Limited Run games releases the occasional PS3 game and may again in the future. 

Yep, we all know digital sucks. That's why I'm not buying any more consoles, just sticking to PC at this point. 

What PS3 and Vita digital only titles are "must buy"?  Going to make a few purchases before the stores close down. 

12 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Limited Run games releases the occasional PS3 game and may again in the future. 

Yep, we all know digital sucks. That's why I'm not buying any more consoles, just sticking to PC at this point. 

What PS3 and Vita digital only titles are "must buy"?  Going to make a few purchases before the stores close down. 

FarCry Classic is one for sure.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 3:03 AM, 0078265317 said:

Probably a good idea. 

I think I have most of my stuff downloaded anyway given that I download everything when I buy it, but I do have a second PS3 that doesn't have everything redownloaded to it. I may have to turn that one on to see what I can redownload.

As mentioned above the way to do that is to go to your downloads list which will show all your digital purchases and let you download them from there rather than going through the store.

Just because the store is closing it's not explicitly said that being able to re-download from the download list will be axed as well, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry.  I think the only downside for me on this is that my Vita and PSP doesn't have everything purchased downloaded simply because of the crazy small sizes of their prop. memory cards.  I might take a look on amazon to see if it's possible to find a 64gig cart still... although they were hard to find even back in the day.  If I find one that's affordable I might redownload everything onto it, and depending on available space might try to add some more stuff from the shop before it goes away. (I'm not holding my breath though.)

8 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Yeah, I'm probably in the same boat although I don't know if I'll be buying much more on PC than I already do (which is mostly things that hit critical sales levels which still happens on PC from time to time compared to consoles)

I'm probably more likely to regress into older consoles more and buy up things from PS2 and earlier - before the DLC plague began.

I looked at the PS5 and I really don't see any desire to get it.  Kind of the same feeling I had for the PS4 although still gave that one a chance to prove itself. While there were some good games on it I still don't feel like it's justified it's purchase. (And Xbox is dead to me already, so getting their new console isn't even on the table.)  The general unavailability of buying either of the consoles at present, even now due to scalpers, is also a consideration but a far second to the fact that I'm just not interested in either of them nor the games available on them. I do have interest currently in the Switch, but given that I play that rarely as well means it might be my last handheld/console as well except potentially a backwards compatible HD upgrade Switch.

• Like 2

I saw this coming years ago which is why I switched to PC permanently and only physical exclusives on Sony (God of War, Uncharted).

Lots of titles will be lost forever. 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/04/02/2000-digital-only-games-lost-ps3-psp-vita-ps-store-closures-playstation/

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/revealed-the-138-playstation-games-that-wont-be-available-anywhere-after-store-closures/

Pirate the shit out of Sony. It's totally fine. 

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

Not a single game will actually be lost. Not available via legit Sony download server means? Sure. Every single one is in PKG format all over the internet right now and will never go away.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Maybe developers should start selling their pkg files on Itch.io.

Sony as a pub. probably has distribution rights etc. so the devs are screwed. If so, better to spread it around on the internet as files. 

F' them (sony)

Edited by cimerians

On 3/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, Mikebloke said:

Aggh just put my ps3 away but pretty sure everything I bought is downloaded. I have things like suikoden 3 and vandal hearts 3 on it, vandal hearts 3 in particular was download only and never ended up on anything else. 

Vandal-Hearts: Flames of Judgment was also on Xbox 360. I have an RGH Xbox 360 Slim and a backup of that game works fine on it without even going online.

I did buy it on PS3 first back when it was fairly new. That game was great. Just wished it had twice the length and twice the characters like the original.

I should work on getting my 60GB PS3 and Vita modded first I guess. PSP I did years ago. I barely ever used my Vita and the only 2 games I bought were physical copies of Dungeon Hunter Alliance and the Tetris game that it had.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 1:44 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

this is why i hate digital.  I've had a few digital games on PS4 already go missing over the years.  I collected physical for most of my ps4 collection, but in reality is there even a point?  Almost all the physical games seem to have day one patches to fix stuff, or add stuff that was never on the disc..  So 10-20 years from now, if I hook up my PS4 and let's say I'm dirt poor and don't even have internet access, can I still play the games after installing from the disc even though they are unpatched versions?

As long as your internal battery does not die in your PS4, you should be fine. The PS4 and PS5 for that matter are time bombs if the online services fail.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps4-clock-battery-death-could-brick-your-console

I think before they kill the PS4, I will rip apart my PS4 to replace the battery so I should be able to get another 8-10 years out of it...

Or you can hack it, that will solve that issue. 

15 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

Vandal-Hearts: Flames of Judgment was also on Xbox 360. I have an RGH Xbox 360 Slim and a backup of that game works fine on it without even going online.

I did buy it on PS3 first back when it was fairly new. That game was great. Just wished it had twice the length and twice the characters like the original.

I should work on getting my 60GB PS3 and Vita modded first I guess. PSP I did years ago. I barely ever used my Vita and the only 2 games I bought were physical copies of Dungeon Hunter Alliance and the Tetris game that it had.

Ahh thanks for the info, I only actually got a 360 "recently" a few years ago, so wasn't aware that it also released on that! But its safely installed at least for now!