IGNORED

Dragonfly Pokeymax Covox

playsoft

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Can't actually test it as I noticed it is PAL so it isn't signed for NTSC use.

The files Rafal posted today for the update to the Dragonfly BIOS includes a copy of this. Although listed as PAL, it does load on my NTSC system and plays POKEY audio, but the screen is a little jumpy and COVOX samples don't seem to play.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:59 AM, playsoft said:

Here it's used in something I'm working on, a more typical game setting, playing samples between attack waves. It sounds pretty good, still using a sampling rate of 7860. I don't have the guns firing yet so there will be a few more missiles on screen when the samples are played but that probably won't affect it too much. Credits are @kiwilove graphics, @RevEng's TIA sound effects and I borrowed @Fragmare's Air Zonk for some background music (playing on the second POKEY as a channel on the first is used for the IRQ timer).

On 3/31/2021 at 7:59 AM, playsoft said:

I am reluctant to post a NTSC version because I can't test it and there's a bit of dodgy code needed to get it working.

Wow this is incredible!! Looking at the videos of it playing on a PAL system I almost couldn't believe my eyes! Multiple levels of parallax, transparent shading, the design of the mothership, everything is top notch!

I popped it in my NTSC system and it... kind of plays... it's very slowed down, stretched out vertically but the voice is very clear and I can move the ship around and play in slow motion!

I can't wait for you to post an NTSC version it!

- James

• Like 1

Working on my NTSC system with the latest 1.06 firmware. The 1.05 did not play Covox but the new FW does on this file. And yes it does load on NTSC machines but the lower portion is cut off on my 7800 display. Here is a direct capture sample:

YT hoses up the quality with their compression but I did use the higher quality original file over on the AA FB group.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

:oWow! I’m going to have to try this game. Looks ridiculous, but ridiculous in a good way?

Not a game just a demo that simulate what a game could look like with all of these features enabled. Everything you see in my video was automatic. I wasn't doing anything.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not a game just a demo that simulate what a game could look like with all of these features enabled. Everything you see in my video was automatic. I wasn't doing anything.

Still looks ridiculously good.  Dreadnaught Factor taken to a whole new level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

The files Rafal posted today for the update to the Dragonfly BIOS includes a copy of this. Although listed as PAL, it does load on my NTSC system and plays POKEY audio, but the screen is a little jumpy and COVOX samples don't seem to play.

Have you turned on the IRQ for the Pokey? 

That was the PAL build, not intended for running under NTSC. The reason for building PAL and NTSC separately is that I did want to so something with the extra PAL cycles - perhaps that will be COVOX. With NTSC I have to investigate whether the IRQ positioning is OK and if there are enough cycles, but that's not something I can easily do at the moment.

Over the past few weeks I have been converting it to use bank switching, so that it can potentially support different tile sets for different missions. I have also been putting in hooks for where different missions might want to change things, but I have so many of them I don't know if it would be better to back them out and use different control loops instead. After that I intend to get the guns firing and add some proper attack waves - that will be the first indication of whether it's likely to be playable or not. Currently with the test waves it is impossibly hard without the enemy sprite/missile collision detection turned off. When I get to this point I'll post an update of both PAL and NTSC versions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

worked now....there was something wrong with the connection....

btw....how about a playable demo?

That is what I intend to do - eventually! For now, if you press reset you take over control, left trigger to fire, right trigger to turn. Collision detection with enemy sprites/missiles is disabled as it is impossibly hard. You can still collide with the guns though.

• Like 3