IGNORED

VCS System Software Update Log (on-going)

justclaws

There is another update out on the VCS, which will apply at startup, and also a BIOS update.
It took just a few minutes to download and install, problem free.
Updates now show count of those remaining, rather than a misleading percentage, but not time.

update3.thumb.jpeg.7b5fd981d0ba5fad6670397fc16d3c21.jpeg

I will add details of updates as they are known, as I did not see a list. Atari referred to the store.
- The VCS Store now supports international payments better, and supports non-USA post/zip codes.
- The System menu supports an HD resolution (720p mode) as well as full-HD which is the default.
- It's widely reported that the fan is less active in Atari mode, but it does not change it for PC-Mode.
- Maybe new, you can choose download destination, and this seems to be saved as a default storage.

As Nintendo would write, this seems to be mostly an update for "performance and stability" otherwise.

The BIOS update is only a point release, and does not yet unlock some features needing BIOS password.
There is a BIOS update coming for that, but it's no doubt not going to be flagged in advance on Discord.

I here add some screenshots.

- The VCS Store now supports international payments better, and supports non-USA post/zip codes.

new_pay_form.thumb.jpeg.72d4a5d4f9f614f2ec79659f2654de44.jpeg

- The System menu supports an HD resolution (720p mode) as well as full-HD which is the default.

new_option.thumb.jpeg.d3ff1ec21fad9943f97f94e8ca34b4b3.jpeg

- It's widely reported that the fan is less active in Atari mode, but it does not change it for PC-Mode.
- Maybe new, you can choose download destination, and this seems to be saved as a default storage.

downloads.thumb.jpeg.38f4ce23a88f10ca2ee1d70d0e5adf19.jpeg

The BIOS update was done automatically, and presented no problems, either.

bios_update3.thumb.jpeg.846c115d3e0e2704bb53ec93dcba2d4e.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My system is applying another system update today (2021-04-09), when I booted.
(Since update #2, updates now run 4/4, 3/4, 2/4... rather than those percentages.)

This one is taking much longer than the last one, for whatever reason.
YYMV, as my Internet was flaky lately. 2/4 is taking over 10 minutes...

1038658387_WhatsAppImage2021-04-09at12_39_50.thumb.jpeg.da771d0a7d09cd32bfe8d5d923ec1e2f.jpeg

Stupidly, I don't seem to have a record of the previous system software version,
this time, so I am not 100% sure that this is a global update, or if my system had
an issue and decided to update. So, if you get no update, then it's just "my bad". ?

All done. No BIOS update this time. No problems.
Version 20210323.184358.production, Build#963, installed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

The VCS got an update today to AtariOS, nothing obvious changed, but drivers, I think.
There were no problems in updating, it counts down as before from 4/4 to 1/4 to reboot.

Also, the AtariOS version is now 20210524.124842.production, build p#1042.

There were also firmware upgrades to both Modern and Classic Atari controllers, to version 1.47.

The BIOS password is unchanged, in case anybody was about to ask. The UEFI/BIOS was not update.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

something like almost 10 minutes

I don't think mine took quite that long but I would say probably 4 to 5 minutes.  It seemed longer than the last one which, as I recall, was around 30 to 45 seconds.

So the BIOS password has not changed from what it was in mid-April?  I've pretty much been using my VCS to run Batocera off a USB drive lately, and don't want to lose the ability to do that.  I haven't booted it into Atari mode for over a month...

1 hour ago, Erzak said:

So the BIOS password has not changed from what it was in mid-April?  I've pretty much been using my VCS to run Batocera off a USB drive lately, and don't want to lose the ability to do that.  I haven't booted it into Atari mode for over a month...

Sorry, I should have read the other password thread first.  Was going to edit/delete my previous post, but apparently that's not an option?

11 hours ago, Erzak said:

Sorry, I should have read the other password thread first.  Was going to edit/delete my previous post, but apparently that's not an option?

That's an option for AtariAge subscribers.

On booting into AtariOS, I really recommend doing it sometimes, there's no problem with the BIOS password, but
there are updates of course to AtariOS, the apps, the games, and importantly for many, to Atari controller firmware!

• 2 months later...

The update has not changed the BIOS password, or the BIOS configuration.
It's an AtariOS only update.

I went through checking out changes. The ones I found are:
- A lot of subtle under-the-surface changes for performance (which as a Linux guy I will investigate more in due course).
- New "calibrate controller" section, with new interface.
- When holding the Atari button on the controllers, there is a menu for power management - I think it just used to turn off the controller, but in any case, it works well.
- The console wakes up from sleep reliably, either from a wired Atari controller or Bluetooth Atari controller. Just pressing the Atari button to wake the controller wakes up the console in a matter of a few seconds.
- Pairing Bluetooth controllers is even quicker. (Not necessarily quick if you are in a game.)

- Also, Google Chrome is now on version 92.x, if you missed that. Chrome is effectively a part of AtariOS on the VCS. It's integrated.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

There was a BIOS update as well.  I think it is now version 1.23?

If there was a BIOS update, it was done in a new way, because there was no "flashing BIOS" screen (for me).
I will double-check against my 2nd system which is not updated yet.

The BIOS update may have only been to settings, but there was no change to the BIOS password, at least.
Other users also reported that their tweaks were maintained.

6 hours ago, rayik said:

I would not be surprised if this was a main reason for the update.

Seriously? You read that huge list, and you think they updated for that one thing? OK.

The friend/messaging support was a big focus, for the forthcoming Centipede Recharged,
but also the power management/sleep fixes, and the big improvements to the 4K support.

A number of developers confirm, there have been daily builds of the AtariOS, all year to-date,
and there are many more exciting features in the pipeline, so updates; they'll keep coming.

Curious about what these do:

* Auto detection of bootable PC Mode images

*Integration of BIOS V23 which supports Atari PC mode

I want my VCS to autoboot from my internal SSD first, but I've tried all sorts of bios settings, and used the "efibootmgr" linux tool to set boot order, yet somehow it always boots to Atari OS first. My temporary solution is to put refind on a USB, which boots my OS.

I know I can install Grub or Refind to the Atari OS partitions as boot managers. But I'd rather not alter the Atari OS partitions. I'd rather have grub or refind on my SSD and have that load at boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to verify as well that the BIOS update to 123 did not touch passwords or settings. I was able to get into bios w/o issue and secure boot was still disabled allowing me to boot to Lakka without a shim hack. In the setup utility the BIOS identifies as 05.32.50.0011-VCS.23 - can anyone verify that "Atari celebrates" still works? There's a reddit guy claiming it does not, however I had changed my BIOS password so cannot verify 100%.

19 hours ago, VuULF said:

Just wanted to verify as well that the BIOS update to 123 did not touch passwords or settings. I was able to get into bios w/o issue and secure boot was still disabled allowing me to boot to Lakka without a shim hack. In the setup utility the BIOS identifies as 05.32.50.0011-VCS.23 - can anyone verify that "Atari celebrates" still works? There's a reddit guy claiming it does not, however I had changed my BIOS password so cannot verify 100%.

Yes, it works. I checked immediately after the update. Others also verified this and posted.
The guy (a guy) on Reddit also wrote he was using a Bluetooth keyboard, which would not work for the BIOS screen at all usually.

• 1 month later...

New system update today, installed on running system, and only required reboot.
No problems, seamless.
- Update to version 20211014.083614.production
- Full update took under 4 minutes to install, after download completed (fast)
- No BIOS update (password unchanged, verified)

There was also a (transparent) update to Chrome.

Also, new user-interface features. (Details follow)
- Friends tab on Dashboard.
- Notifications in Account menu - below power on/off etc.

1899084794_WhatsAppImage2021-10-14at20_44_18.thumb.jpeg.978de7ecbaf82116d4a49ebf85e63ad2.jpeg

1174011179_WhatsAppImage2021-10-14at20_43_32.thumb.jpeg.bf3c89bd96dc07973ef911016dbd91d3.jpeg

• Thanks 4

There is now an update document detailing all the changes.

LiveOps Changelist
Oct 14, 2021

High Level

General

Better support for streaming apps (xCould/Stadia) that require Fuji button for navigation
½ second press on Fuji now required to invoke VCS ingame menu, otherwise control is redirected to current running app
7800 and Dosbox emulators now integrated into system services
Updates to emulators will be planned without needing game/ROM or OS updates
Emulators will appear under the System section in storage, like Chrome
This feature is in support Flashback Friday initiative

Friends
New Friends module includes Friends list, Invites, Friend Detail, Text Chat and Notification Service for Friend invites and messages
Classes of Friends and restrictions
“Mutual” have accepted invites
“Followers” are invites you have not accepted
“Following” are your invites waiting for acceptance
Mutual Friends have unrestricted chat and have indicators for online/offline status
Non-mutual Friends chat is restricted to responding to messages received
Chat history kept for last 1000 messages
Invites allow a personalized message to be sent with the request
Invite friends allows searching by UserID, which auto populates results as you type

Storage
Local UserData now identifies the owning user and is deleted when user is deleted from the local VCS
Added notification alerts for low internal storage space up to < 2.2 GB

Other
We now display “Store under maintenance” banner if the store server is temporarily down
UI/UX bug fixes and improvements

Detail
Dashboard

UI/UX bug fixes and improvements
All the backend APIs were updated to V8
Implemented auto populate functionality in the friends invite flow with UserID
Added new Icons to represent the multimedia section in the Product Details page
Added some Chat restriction for non mutual friends(followers and following)
Implemented a new feature in Friends invite to add a personalized message while sending the invitation
Personal invite message will also be the first chat message to the user
Added new icons to represent Follower and following in Friends
Implementation for the Invite notifications is also updated with the personalised message in the notification panel
Sending Friend invites thru Email will no longer add the friends to their follower/following list unless invite are sent using UserID
Added a fix for the Friends landing page in offline flow
Added a new functionality where removing user profile will also trigger removing that user’s saved data
Added storage checks for downloading bundles in Internal/External storage slots
Added storage space check for zip file downloads in internal storage to identify and display the correct available storage space
Added notification alerts for low internal storage space up to < 2.2 gb
Added "B" selection in friends landing page
Development Console Key changed to F8 for Dev environment
Pressing “B” Button will now redirect to Top Hud in Home/Game/App screens
Added new launchers Dosbox and 7800 into the default list
Launch button is disabled for launcher products in details page
Added a fix for an issue with External Storage not working with new reserved memory Implementation
All the launcher bundles will be displayed under the settings section in storage
Implemented a new functionality that redirects to the Launcher product Details Page if Launcher is not installed or updated for any selected game
Added a redirection flow if the launcher update is available
Added a new feature to display store under maintenance banner if the server is down in any case
Updated Reserve Memory logic for storage/download
Added no network alert while trying to fetch product details in offline
Onboarding: Network Selection should default to previously chosen network
All the Email templates are updated with new template designs and content
Added a fix for the friends invite notifications issues
Storage full notification alert will stay on the notification panel until the storage space is optimized
Added some fix for the crash logs reported in the previous production builds
Back Office
Now deleting the user from backend will also delete the user from frontend and bring the user back to profile section page

OS
PC Mode

Install cheese package (webcam viewer)
Install Intel and Qualcomm Atheros wireless card firmware

Atari OS
Bridge: Allow bundles to handle quick home button presses: home button must be pressed and held for >500ms to open in-game menu
Bridge: Fix bug when deleting all of a user’s userdata
Bridge: Expose store-id of the launcher bundle (to allow dashboard to update launcher bundle)
Bridge: Add bundle type LauncherOnly to allow dashboard to hide launcher bundles from the dashboard
Install bundle-bridge-daemon (Bridge APIs for Atari Game SDK)
Notable upgrades to system components:
linux: rebased on upstream version 5.10.46
pipewire: rebased on upstream version 0.3.34
sdl2: rebased on upstream version 2.0.16

7800 emulator
Initial bundle released

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

Was there only one update in the past few weeks?    Seems like everytime I boot into Atari OS, it wants to do another update

Probably game and app updates.  OS and BIOS updates are much more involved and usually require restart.