IGNORED

PS3 Store Closing July 2nd

Rick Dangerous

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, Classic Pac said:

With the PSN store shutting down, will this mean more people are going to mod their PS3?

When the announcement came I bought the Bloodrayne game from the store then just got frustrated by the whole thing. So many games lost to the ether because money. So given their (Ryan's) attitude toward the old games and consoles I took it as them saying, we don't care about this old rubbish, do what you like, so I did. Now bear in mind I had a LOT of digital only games covering PS3, PS2 and original Playstation on my PS3, I did not do this lightly. Especially as it's a royal PITA to install stuff you've got on disc onto the machine... But in the course of the announcement I jailbroke my PS3 slim, sold roughly 2/3 of my physical games that I managed to get installed onto it (the others I kept), and even went about downloading some games that had long been pulled from the store. It took an age and just as I finished, they announced they were keeping it up... Bit late there Jim.

I find it ironic that after giving up support of the PS3, they just released a firmware update for it, I wonder what that does... Ah of course, it breaks the Jailbreak. Bet it doesn't fix any C-Bomb that likely exists on the PS3 also... Screw 'em, the network lead has been pulled now and it's how it will remain with them having no more control over it's destiny. Sony of late have become an arrogant behemoth of a company that can go poke as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not really interested in anything they're doing these days.

What the whole thing has changed is my attitude towards these modern consoles. To preserve what you've bought I now expect to have to at some point Jailbreak my PS4. Mainly because of the C-Bomb still being a thing. I have no issue with that now.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, juansolo said:

When the announcement came I bought the Bloodrayne game from the store then just got frustrated by the whole thing. So many games lost to the ether because money. So given their (Ryan's) attitude toward the old games and consoles I took it as them saying, we don't care about this old rubbish, do what you like, so I did. Now bear in mind I had a LOT of digital only games covering PS3, PS2 and original Playstation on my PS3, I did not do this lightly. Especially as it's a royal PITA to install stuff you've got on disc onto the machine... But in the course of the announcement I jailbroke my PS3 slim, sold roughly 2/3 of my physical games that I managed to get installed onto it (the others I kept), and even went about downloading some games that had long been pulled from the store. It took an age and just as I finished, they announced they were keeping it up... Bit late there Jim.

I find it ironic that after giving up support of the PS3, they just released a firmware update for it, I wonder what that does... Ah of course, it breaks the Jailbreak. Bet it doesn't fix any C-Bomb that likely exists on the PS3 also... Screw 'em, the network lead has been pulled now and it's how it will remain with them having no more control over it's destiny. Sony of late have become an arrogant behemoth of a company that can go poke as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not really interested in anything they're doing these days.

What the whole thing has changed is my attitude towards these modern consoles. To preserve what you've bought I now expect to have to at some point Jailbreak my PS4. Mainly because of the C-Bomb still being a thing. I have no issue with that now.

Dont blame you at all. Some of the best games on the system can only be obtained through third parties now. I recommend Duke Nukem Megaton, Earthworm Jim HD, and Outrun Online.

4 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Dont blame you at all. Some of the best games on the system can only be obtained through third parties now. I recommend Duke Nukem Megaton, Earthworm Jim HD, and Outrun Online.

Outrun Online is spectacular. I also recommend Afterburner Climax.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Sony cant afford a couple of HDs, a cheap-ass server, and the power costs to keep this running?

It would literally be zero effort to identify the PSP,Vita or PS3 browser and redirect to an old server hiding in the cobwebs left static. (Or a VM on a host already running, making it cost even less)

This is everything wrong with digital purchases in one email.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2021 at 11:10 AM, CyranoJ said:

So Sony cant afford a couple of HDs, a cheap-ass server, and the power costs to keep this running?

It would literally be zero effort to identify the PSP,Vita or PS3 browser and redirect to an old server hiding in the cobwebs left static. (Or a VM on a host already running, making it cost even less)

This is everything wrong with digital purchases in one email.

Nailed on. For a company like Sony, running servers for their online systems as long as they exist is a complete non-event in terms of costs and maintenance if it's done properly. As someone who used to build systems for a rather large bank I can attest to the sorts of costs involved, if you do it right, these systems can be super low maintenance and long lasting.

The problem you have is when said companies are run by bean counters (as the bank was...) and they've shaved everything to the point that they start cutting costs on the systems. The financial year being a short period of time and the need for their to be a un-ending growth in profits year on year would scupper the likes of me trying to justify systems for at least 10 years of use with minimal maintenance. When I left they were putting in much cheaper and simpler (ie, clunky with higher operational costs) systems because it looked like they were spending less... The problem was in 3 years those systems would need replacing. Short term thinking.

This is I suspect the whole problem with Sony, it's now run by bean counters and not people with common sense or people who understand their market, they just understand how to cut costs and make it look like profits are growing because of it. The bean counter approach only works to shave bloat, but at some point you've done that and you start heamoragging things and people you really shouldn't be. Like the PS3/Vita/PSP stores, it'll be a tiny saving, but it's a saving, and those numbers matter more than anything else.

This is turning into a little bit of a rant...

But it's an illness that's spreading throughout the corporate world right now, with people forgetting what initially made these companies in the first place. Dreamers, creatives, risk-takers. Sure unchecked they can be self destructive, but without them innovation just stagnates. Year on year the updates become make bigger/smaller, faster. That's it, there's no imagination there. The PS5 and Xbox Series X are a perfect example of this as they're ultimately just a faster version of their previous consoles. There's been no huge generational leap. It's been evolution, not a revolution. It's just not exciting or interesting. I am in a world of meh about the new consoles. Indeed currently the only thing about them that I think is interesting is that they run older games better. But then that was just because the industry became obsessed with prettiness over running well. *shrugs*

Ultimately I'm done. The golden age of gaming is long gone and modern gaming is just about selling you the most microtransactions. The good news is that the homebrew community on these old consoles is alive and well and they still remember that games are supposed to be fun. ANY game that has an option of an XP booster to 'save time' or 'cut down on the grind' is the opposite of what a game is supposed to be. If you're paying not to play it, it's better not to even buy it in the first place!

...I think I'm done. For now...

• Like 2