IGNORED

Unable to run any terminal program on 800

Someone asked in IRC about 80 column terminal programs for 800.   I could not recall if Omnicom works on the 800 or not.  Apparently it doesn't, however when the program crashed I tried Flickerterm 80 which I know should work.

After I load the 850 handler and start Flickerterm 80 it comes up in ASCII mode and at 1200 baud.  However, the keyboard does not respond.  After about 5 seconds the emulation switches to VT100 and baud rate is now at 19,200.  The keyboard still will not  respond and now the FujiNet activity LED is flashing brightly with about 3 pulses per second.  It never stops flashing.  Pressing button C resets Fujinet but the LED continues to flash.

I next tried Bobterm but it halts while loading some module. 

I then tried AMODEM 4.2. I'm able to enter an ATDT sequence and connect but the keyboard stops responding here as well.  Fujinet is not flashing.

I recently updated the firmware.  Fujinet works fine on my 800XL

I'm providing fujinet debugging data.  It begins at the point I started the 850 handler.

Below are some excerpts that I thought odd.  They occured with no intervention from me.  The keyboard remained non responsive the whole time.

set_baudrate change from 19200 to 1200
Modem streaming at 1200 baud
Modem was active - resetting SIO baud
set_baudrate change from 1200 to 19200
set_baudrate change from 19200 to 1200
Modem streaming at 1200 baud
set_baudrate change from 1200 to 19200
set_baudrate change from 19200 to 19200
Modem streaming at 19200 baud
Modem streaming at 19200 baud

Regards,

SteveS

atari800_fujinet_debugging.zip

This turns out to be a user problem but it was one of years of  bad habits in the making.  I some distant past I had appended RVerter/Bobverter drivers to most of the terminal programs I had been using on the disk that I use for everything.   A few years ago I started using SpartaDOS X and the newest updates/betas of ICET XE.  By this time I had dropped the habit of attaching the driver to the executables.  I don't need such a shortcut.  SDX has batch files.

Now FujNet comes along and I need the 850 driver loaded.  No problem with this. 

Later on I decide to test FujiNet on my 800.  Unfortunately,  I can't use SDX or my CF card or ICET XE on my stock 800.  This forces me  to dig my old and small collection of terminal programs.

I load the 850 driver and whichever terminal program I wish to use not realizing a driver conflict was waiting for me,

Well, at least that's what I assume was happening.   I don't see the Bobverter splash notice on my 800.  (It does appear now when I repeat the exercise on my 800XL).   I don't have debug tools on 800 and I don't have the know-how to recreate the problem in emulators.   So, yeah.  Just an assumption of what happened.

Sorry, for the false alarm!

Regards,

SteveS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1