IGNORED

MDOS V7.30

9640News

3 hours ago, 9640News said:

OK, First, very glad to hear your system booted from the IDE drive. 

What happens when right after you boot, you do a DIR SCS6.    ?

Do you get a directory listing?  Are you at the CRU specified for the IDE drive?  I think that is >1900. SCS6 defaults to the IDE drive at CRU >1900.

You might need to go into GPL/Rompage mode and run DU2K and confirm the CRU is seen at >1900 in your Geneve system.  The boot eprom doesn't care what the IDE CRU is for loading.  After loading, MDOS cares about the CRU address which would explain things you observed.  

Beery

CRU address of the IDE is >1900

I can do a DIR SCS6. and this shows the files on the IDE card.

Are you sure your AUTOEXEC did not run, or did you not have an AUTOEXEC at SCS6 ?

There is a change in the usage of the AUTOEXEC that it will not not display anything unless you use the ECHO ON command.  All MDOS command line commands are not displayed, unless you expressly tell them to be displayed.  That is the new default, to keep the display looking cleaner.

If you have used the REMAP, SCSMAP, ASSIGN, or PATH commands, you should be able to type the command with no parameters to visually confirm your AUTOEXEC commands were executed.

Beery

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:09 PM, 9640News said:

Are you sure your AUTOEXEC did not run, or did you not have an AUTOEXEC at SCS6 ?

There is a change in the usage of the AUTOEXEC that it will not not display anything unless you use the ECHO ON command.  All MDOS command line commands are not displayed, unless you expressly tell them to be displayed.  That is the new default, to keep the display looking cleaner.

If you have used the REMAP, SCSMAP, ASSIGN, or PATH commands, you should be able to type the command with no parameters to visually confirm your AUTOEXEC commands were executed.

Beery

Beery, I did a simple AUTOEXEC test:

ECHO BOOTED FROM IDE

This text didn't appear.

Does MDOS know from what device it was booted from?

45 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

At this point in time, can a Geneve be used with nothing but a Geneve + Genmod + MEMEX and TIPI-Peb + BOOT ROM upgrade?  No other storage devices. Not even a floppy controller.

I'll defer to Beery re: the boot EPROM upgrade status.  We both agreed that a Geneve system sans floppy controller was a valid and potentially preferable configuration.

Although the OS is not yet smart enough to automatically map TIPI drives DSK1-4 at powerup, they can be mapped manually with the REMAP command.  I have not tested a TIPI + Geneve system though I see no reason it would fail.  The native OS mode shouldn't care; the /4a mode (non-rompage) presumes that the VRAM header/FILES space is necessary for optimal compatibility, so in theory 0x8370 and VRAM will be set that way even without a floppy controller. 

Freeing up some DSR space and addressing the PFM device compatibility were prerequisites to enhancing the TIPI, IDE, and SCSI powerup support in the post-7.30 release.  There is still some 30+ year old yarn to untangle before I test and commit those changes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

ECHO BOOTED FROM IDE

This text didn't appear.

It should, but it did not and I see why now.  I used the original IDE V2.5 code, and sector edited for 2.6 with some other minor hex editing to conform to the Eprom.  I just looked at the last instructions before LOAD-IDE turns it over to MDOS, and the flag is set incorrectly.  I'm going to make the necessary edit(s), test in MAME, and then post.  My previous MAME testing was with a special MDOS loader that had the flag for tracking purposes.

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

At this point in time, can a Geneve be used with nothing but a Geneve + Genmod + MEMEX and TIPI-Peb + BOOT ROM upgrade?  No other storage devices. Not even a floppy controller.

I thought it should, but I had an issue I did not understand why it didn't work.  If it comes to it, I will/can move the TIPI to the top of the device checks so it would be the first device tested rather than second to last.

Beery

5 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

ECHO BOOTED FROM IDE

This text didn't appear.

Fred,

It should be fixed now.  There is a new LOAD-IDE, V2.7 over in the EPROM V0.99 discussion topic. 

• Like 3

@GDMike,

Bringing this discussion from the Eprom area over to here since the subject is not related to the Geneve Eprom.

I just noticed in the video you posted in another topic, you are running version 2.14 of the TIPI software with the TIPICFG screen giving you an option to U)pgrade to 2.21.

Many of the upgrades and tweaks between 2.14 and 2.21 were a result of updates that impacted the Geneve development coding.  And one of those updates was specifically done to handle the DIRectory sort order. I have no idea how MDOS would respond to your current file and directory structure on the PI to know if it would give you an ugly DIR listing, error, or lockup when trying to get a Directory listing at the command prompt.  I am not saying this is going to fix your TIPI issues at the MDOS prompt, however, this is definitely a REQUIRED step.  You need to update your TIPI from TIPICFG.

After you update, then you will need to follow the instructions in the 7.30 documentation of MDOS and update PI.CONFIG.  I have shown my PI.CONFIG file in the documentation in the original zip file.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Hi Beery,

I confirm that the AUTOEXEC on my IDE device could be found with the LOAD-IDE v2.7

Thanks! ?

Great news you are booting from the IDE and boot tracking is working well for you.  Do you also have a TIPI in the system as well?

Installed genmod Geneve with my hfdc and tipi it only tries the hfdc which won't boot with the old disk/sys on it, then tries floppy then stops need to make a boot disk

of course i need to make sure it's system-sys not system/sys as it used to be, that always helps..

got it booting off hfdc.. but having gpl issues now..   

Those seem to be my rave speech card pulled that

memtest with the rave: m5zb5nTAsNuE2jUP6wylzfVU3KvWAofVj8rKdvMUmzCwtzq0IyyK_uD4UhjRnJWr1CwwltS9QwRe183j5arnW-OrJUpk8wxZ9r2ckSrt-nWqWHLXx6VV3hhNn_KQTuHH7LnXb6piSSsAWwgTW0j8HkwECeK1Tbw9qmu5HLHExvBp8P_jPWVdL2_LY1rEbk8DRnAXl18h3WM6sSqg6EXqdZ36LWUpYOo3wIpjZ41-zldp5jvvOyPkNG67OB3v8nA4zcX86iCte2jRTkeS3lvcrXphNRza4CjbVqiZLuIFnrg9zfJyDhLeNIJoB7XmzsacE0ZVI2ysbanMAduUTj_Zij5MiHHVvLALiRJloR3UXni1cvkBd6rryKbXmaKfVL0Fe4qpcKA-BM1JmWQVDSApUDoXYihlJtLmFTXLQM6UGLdWOADsq09CPvXGVLZF451tN1quS0fKpU1TOgv33kCWb_Y0a_1VPZZBsia4TYWChRzTQHBtkAWP5k0-LnupzG41gooQitd2fpKXBhcPom4zrWHeiysDfMXnS_r93cAehNRzwQ0hSTOdCmn9Z2_wyUD4GbdwBYtu6E0A9GhHAtwKmiXHNsEiLzC0cnzHMcZVSOkIFZ94UIhQflMwMknL2_6PfqNjOdSxzCY9gLatGqg4i5lOf2FLHBlhso2vy8VdsMPgSj-ynhGO29VrMYaJd4k82I-mnVjWtkocq5YmS8IFjw=w711-h947-no?authuser=0

memtest without the ravekbwzxR2kaWF8hjKYV4KqFmD03Ak6xA1OI0A19uoQNWWgPWdEjzIoi2b6hPD4z9RqY5BHYGzrdFmnJzr96WUcoKAjuIczp_2JTiBT5HfIHMgiTJvGsssIXtBVInu3OkpclRkfDfeOrVlAD07LA-aTkU0vwUtiksta9sAxBwINZklRemMIxT4V1nKZJ_G-49T0GDx9Z7C6_LZpH4O3xR7urEwRcySNlikokw5LTiF-y6Dx9ETZ6ngerS96TPzVvgjPrAprnh1qtlQtYtcNPkwi9b0pmntRVD3JWNLBwFCgc7xsZkuUj6o1o1iYY-WqUJPU9fUxdB-xmX4LXUt816FzzhshC5ythESXCfA8Y7ttj08pI71_GRz_TsgKHhcbADO968v-K7YkIXlyM3sP727D3h3-BDriwExgJ5QHwIuWn0ujsjSDFfJ88Ntbike9rX5MFYEFqinczQopC5lx9lsocEHlaZEAVLTXKqSS5MHvcbatgBgKMO-9IdKwVxBpd4z7M9znRyM_OvjAydrf9Eci2zEqPViMXAWRsHLAnksg_wGno_1kaR4HmP-MNG9hmIuA3tGQnWlE9Hsd8zbPK04CDp9zqJB42RA_GF2adqvcUpWohax-kKq8rjD5JZNSOYUjOfb_e5nz95zMMMVSKdRndsi2dhxdgnyXBEbE77Xpk_eFSvd60qhoa-u71aAvj-8UYiO5ZH3sng4slnVApqd5MA=w711-h947-no?authuser=0

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Installed genmod Geneve with my hfdc and tipi it only tries the hfdc which won't boot with the old disk/sys on it, then tries floppy then stops need to make a boot disk

of course i need to make sure it's system-sys not system/sys as it used to be, that always helps..

got it booting off hfdc.. but having gpl issues now..   

Those seem to be my rave speech card pulled that

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Yep, the Rave Speech card needs to be fully decoded for page >3C.  There is a mod out there for that somewhere.  I think Matt was showing us a card with a Rave speech card mod yesterday during the zoom call.

1 minute ago, 9640News said:

Yep, the Rave Speech card needs to be fully decoded for page >3C.  There is a mod out there for that somewhere.  I think Matt was showing us a card with a Rave speech card mod yesterday during the zoom call.

I updated the post with memtests before and after

looks like >BC no?

Just now, arcadeshopper said:

I updated the post with memtests before and after

looks like >BC no?

With the mod, only page >BC is blocked.  Without the block, page >3C, >7C, and page >BC would show up with Memtest as bad memory.  As I recall, MDOS blocks page >BC from being used.

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

With the mod, only page >BC is blocked.  Without the block, page >3C, >7C, and page >BC would show up with Memtest as bad memory.  As I recall, MDOS blocks page >BC from being used.

is this mod documented somewhere? Oh I see you said it's out there "somewhere" so you probably don't know where..  I have the memex/genmod manual here will dig into it..

the card Matt showed was not for the geneve, but for the 4/a.. and he was working out the pal for his own card design he's working on

43 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

is this mod documented somewhere? Oh I see you said it's out there "somewhere" so you probably don't know where..  I have the memex/genmod manual here will dig into it..

the card Matt showed was not for the geneve, but for the 4/a.. and he was working out the pal for his own card design he's working on

Went looking for it, and I think I found the modification for decoding page >BC.  I did not derive the decoding myself and not sure who to give credit to.  I know I did this to my Rave card and to a MBP card I built in the 90's.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have someone verify this as there was a note "at your own risk" at the end of the document.

GENEVEBC.TXT

• Like 4