IGNORED

MDOS V7.30

9640News

I wonder how the GeneveOS could block an access. If I map page BC and do the access, there's nothing the OS could do to hinder me, I suppose.

To my understanding the page area B8-BF is the PEB (external bus) for the eight 8K blocks, with BA=4000 and BC=8000.

Edited by mizapf

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

I wonder how the GeneveOS could block an access. If I map page BC and do the access, there's nothing the OS could do to hinder me, I suppose.

To my understanding the page area B8-BF is the PEB (external bus) for the eight 8K blocks, with BA=4000 and BC=8000.

Yeah, you have to manually map it as the MDOS memory XOP will not offer it up for you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 9640News said:

Went looking for it, and I think I found the modification for decoding page >BC.  I did not derive the decoding myself and not sure who to give credit to.  I know I did this to my Rave card and to a MBP card I built in the 90's.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have someone verify this as there was a note "at your own risk" at the end of the document.

GENEVEBC.TXT 1.88 kB · 20 downloads

I thought the memex switches could also block these pages and their mirrors

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I thought the memex switches could also block these pages and their mirrors

I don't recall the Memex blocking those mirrors.  I don't think until after the Memex was already in production did Ron Walters or anyone else was aware the Rave speech card was not fully decoded.

I just posted in the Development forum the V2.00 Geneve eprom update.  This addresses all known issues and allows booting the Geneve from a TIPI only system when used in conjunction with the latest PI (V2.23) and TIPI Eprom (4-19-2021) updates from Matt.

Enjoy.

Beery

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to inquire.  There haven't been too many questions raised with the MDOS 7.30 release.  Were the notes written up on using MDOS 7.30 so great ? everything was self explanatory? Are people using the update? Folks using it with TIPI, etc?

3 hours ago, 9640News said:

Just wanted to inquire.  There haven't been too many questions raised with the MDOS 7.30 release.  Were the notes written up on using MDOS 7.30 so great ? everything was self explanatory? Are people using the update? Folks using it with TIPI, etc?

Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, haven't gotten my pfm+ Geneve repair complete yet and want to test with my other Geneve using Scsi, ide, and hfdc. I don't have tipi yet and will be a bit before I do. But I will, I promise.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, 9640News said:

@GDMike Have you got everything figured out now booting MDOS 7.30 with the new V2.00 eprom?

I'm going to be unavailable to answer questions in about 5 hours until late Sunday, so if you have anything to ask myself or others, go for it!!!

I'm doing good. I only noticed one thing. After completing,(creating using MD in MDOS), around 250 subfolders(directories) and using Fred's GDM2K program, everything lists correctly. But if I'd do a DIR I then get a listing of correct directories PLUS about 10 directories that are garbage. Note, after reviewing the TIPI folders using another raspberry pi desktop, I see only the directories that I created and not the garbage as seen previously using DIR fron MDOS.

Edited by GDMike

Are the 250 subdirectories all at the same level? Yes.

Also not clear on your last point about the using another rpi desktop.
 tipi is a share. It's viewable across the local network. This means that, if  using a PC or, in my case, a raspberry pi, then I can also see the share.

And so I basically meant that I can see the tipi shares and I'm not seeing extra directories as I do when using MDOS and a DIR.

I'm not near the machine, so no pictures Available until later. I'll shoot it and upload tomorrow. Thx

It's not causing me any problems as I use Fred's GDM2K anyway. 

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

I've added more

The directory limit imposed by the hfdc/ide/scsi controller card specifications is 114.  It is almost a certainty that the Geneve OS is not checking this boundary in a TIPI configuration.

Did you create all of these folders for test purposes or as part of gathering files?  250+ generic folders seems quite excessive to me and will slow down catalog operations by the sheer volume of data requested each time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

The directory limit imposed by the hfdc/ide/scsi controller card specifications is 114.  It is almost a certainty that the Geneve OS is not checking this boundary in a TIPI configuration.

Did you create all of these folders for test purposes or as part of gathering files?  250+ generic folders seems quite excessive to me and will slow down catalog operations by the sheer volume of data requested each time.  

Yeah, I really don't need them, lol.

I was just replacing what my gotek drive was holding. I think there's three, no, four that I need for geneve. And I can always keep another ten folders for GPL if I ever needed it , but yeah. It was just a mirror of my gotek. Thanks for the info on limit size.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, GDMike said:

Yeah, I really don't need them, lol.

I was just replacing what my gotek drive was holding. I think there's three, no, four that I need for geneve. And I can always keep another ten folders for GPL if I ever needed it , but yeah. It was just a mirror of my gotek. Thanks for the info on limit size.

Mike,

You might drag those folders that are DSK images, to a subfolder under the root.  I thought we had it fixed with displaying only the first 114 directories and then it would go onto listing files after folders.

If you would, go to your MDOS prompt, and type the following:

TYPE PI.CONFIG

You want for the Geneve, a line entry there that should be:

DIR_SORT=FIRST

You can use an editor with any word processor to add the line and then save it back.

Let me know if you have that line entry in there or not.  If you don't, that "might" solve the display issue.  If you already have it there, if you don't mind, zip the directories up and send me a private email so I can test things on my end.

Beery

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Mike,

You might drag those folders that are DSK images, to a subfolder under the root.  I thought we had it fixed with displaying only the first 114 directories and then it would go onto listing files after folders.

If you would, go to your MDOS prompt, and type the following:

TYPE PI.CONFIG

You want for the Geneve, a line entry there that should be:

DIR_SORT=FIRST

You can use an editor with any word processor to add the line and then save it back.

Let me know if you have that line entry in there or not.  If you don't, that "might" solve the display issue.  If you already have it there, if you don't mind, zip the directories up and send me a private email so I can test things on my end.

Beery

Yes, that line is there.

When I get access to a PC I'll zip the folder's.

IMG_20210523_174917399.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9640News said:

I thought we had it fixed with displaying only the first 114 directories and then it would go onto listing files after folders.

I know we added a limit for the files with a display that stated something to the effect that, "there are more files than displayed".   I don't recall checking the directory count in the same manner, though honestly I never even considered it.  The limit test might have been impacted by the file count test...

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, mizapf said:

By the way, the upgrade to 7.30 makes my SCSI2SD just fly. Double speed.

Very cool.

Tonight I was testing a Geneve that I updated, and found myself needing to load GPL and XB.  I loaded GPL from my ramdisk then loaded XB from my SCSI2SD drive.  I thought to myself, "why is XB taking so long to load?"  Seems I had inadvertently booted Geneve OS 6.50 instead of 7.30.  I wish we could speed up the MFM throughput to match, though I don't see a method to do so. 

• Like 1