IGNORED

Any interest in a top-down shooter game (think Super Smash TV, Xenocrisis like) ?

Fadest

Sorry for the crap footage via my smartphone, and the clicky jagpad.

This is still a very preliminary alpha, with placeholders graphs & music.

Made with JagStudio and U235 Sound Engine.

You can see in action :

Many room design (decor, obstacles), and 1 level design (n room in a 5x4 template)

3 weapons : laser, gun, flamethrower

ennemies : 2 type of turrets, blobs, flamethrowers

2 players should work but I only have 1 jagpad yet :D

What do you think, is there any interest for a game like this on the Atari Jaguar ?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Sorry for the crap footage via my smartphone, and the clicky jagpad.

This is still a very preliminary alpha, with placeholders graphs & music.

Made with JagStudio and U235 Sound Engine.

You can see in action :

Many room design (decor, obstacles), and 1 level design (n room in a 5x4 template)

3 weapons : laser, gun, flamethrower

ennemies : 2 type of turrets, blobs, flamethrowers

2 players should work but I only have 1 jagpad yet :D

What do you think, is there any interest for a game like this on the Atari Jaguar ?

Absolutely! ?

• Like 2

Yes of course.  If you want inspiration, certainly there's smash tv and total carnage as classics of the genre, and xenocrisis which is a new game in that style.  I'd add one more that's a little under the radar - Threat (aka Threat From Space) for MSDos. That one was pretty high quality and allowed up to 3 players to boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to give many options for gameplay, right now, there is free shooting (in the direction you move - not really useful), and lock shot, so you can straf. I have seen in another topic that Total Carnage use numeric keypad, but not sure is really playable ?

Pro controller With 4 buttons (like Xenocrisis on Xbox One/Evercade/..) may also work

2 controllers is one option.

So I need to find a second controller and a pro controller :D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fadest said:

I'd like to give many options for gameplay, right now, there is free shooting (in the direction you move - not really useful), and lock shot, so you can straf. I have seen in another topic that Total Carnage use numeric keypad, but not sure is really playable ?

Pro controller With 4 buttons (like Xenocrisis on Xbox One/Evercade/..) may also work

Pro Controller should be a bit easier to be found nowadays.:)

I must say that I didn't really like the solutions on Jaguar Total Carnage.

The keypad is in my opinion the better method of the two because you get all directions but it is cumbersome and tiring to use.

I didn't get the hang of the one Carl thought up for use with the Pro Controller as I always felt like missing directions. Or I didn't understand how it was supposed to be used.

I was thinking that a solution that might work is to use for buttons on the Pro Controller in the way this was used on the SNES with the action buttons as a second "stick" for example :

X 

Y  A 

B 

Don't know if that is practical on the Jaguar as they are not quite symmetrical and different sizes but it should work with that you could have the main directions and maybe even diagonals? 

Edit: I just saw that you probably did mean exactly that with your 4 button solution, didn't read that first time, sorry.

Edited by PeterG
  • Like 2

Definitely interested but controls for a shooter like this will be key, and glad to see you’re putting thought into it. An option for shooting with the action buttons on a pro controller would be great. Maybe let the player assign shooting and moving to whichever buttons they want?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fadest said:

4 way with 4 face buttons works very nice with Xeno Crisis, but it also supports the 3 button standard pad of the MD, I wonder how well that works?

• Like 1

I have only Xenocrisis on Xbox One and Evercade, so I don't know about MD standard pad.
But I guess there is one button for firing (locked to the direction you had whil pressing button, like Llamatron I guess), 1 for grenade, and 1 for rolling

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1

I made some twin sticks using total carnage setup and they work well.  I never had time to release/build more of them.  I will likely in the next couple of years.  Plan is use total carnage setup.  I would at least put that as option in your game as TC is pretty popular game.  I might (10% chance) add a second pcb/cable for this other game I can't remember the name of that forces the person to use both controller ports, but it gets super expensive due custom pcb / two donor controllers, etc.  Closer to $500 vs. a total carnage only twin stick being like $300-$350.  Plan is for both to have rapid fire 2.0 build in as well. Yes prices I know are crazy, but if others can build for less please do, shipping and low volume are killers.

• Like 1