IGNORED

A good price for Series X?

Tickled_Pink

Probably not, but I actually saw my first Series X in the store window of a local Cex. Cex have a pretty bad reputation for bloated used prices (there was a Xbox One S for £235 ... about what they sell for new). Seems that to counter this, they're now offering a 2 year warranty on every electrical item they sell. The Series X was unboxed and they were asking £585 for it. So, I was thinking that the warranty sweetens the pill somewhat. A Series X is going to be nearly new and the standard warranty is only 12 months.

They also had a Wii U for £90 and a Megadrive/Genesis for £40.

• 2 weeks later...

it's stupid, for sure.  i'm not sure what the combination of factors are- scalpers? semiconductor shortage? only three made in the factory each full moon?

i finally gave in and just did the 'XBox All Access' thingy- I figure it'll be alright considering the price of the console + 2 years of the MS sub.  i have the money on hand, so i envision just paying it off early.

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, Cobra Kai said:

Why can't I get a brand new Xbox at the store? What is the problem with supply on these things? This is a debacle, the X has been released for a year, yet nobody can buy one for less than $900 from a scalper!

Severe pandemic-driven chip shortages that are expected to last until next year. It's not helped by the fact that manufacturers, especially AMD, have moved over to 7nm and even 5nm processes. That reduced the yields. The smaller the gaps between transistors, the more errors creep in the fabrication process.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:41 AM, digdugnate said:

it's stupid, for sure.  i'm not sure what the combination of factors are- scalpers? semiconductor shortage? only three made in the factory each full moon?

i finally gave in and just did the 'XBox All Access' thingy- I figure it'll be alright considering the price of the console + 2 years of the MS sub.  i have the money on hand, so i envision just paying it off early.

I'm looking at going the All Access route myself.  The price is right as the total is slightly cheaper than buying the system and 2 years of Gamepass (in Canadian dollars anyway).

No need to pay it off early either as there is no interest so you are better off putting that money away and earning some interest instead.  :)

My current MS Sub expires at the end of the month so I figure I'll go 'All Access' in the next week or so.  I'm looking at playing The Ascent in July!  

On another note, the idea of buying a tiny SSD expansion in the future is enticing... not that I need the space, but just to have it and you wouldn't even know it by looking at the system on the shelf!  lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

I'm looking at going the All Access route myself.  The price is right as the total is slightly cheaper than buying the system and 2 years of Gamepass (in Canadian dollars anyway).

No need to pay it off early either as there is no interest so you are better off putting that money away and earning some interest instead.  :)

My current MS Sub expires at the end of the month so I figure I'll go 'All Access' in the next week or so.  I'm looking at playing The Ascent in July!  

On another note, the idea of buying a tiny SSD expansion in the future is enticing... not that I need the space, but just to have it and you wouldn't even know it by looking at the system on the shelf!  lol

I think the only thing that rankled me was the cost of the expansion.  Not that I didn't hang my head and give them the money, lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I think the only thing that rankled me was the cost of the expansion.  Not that I didn't hang my head and give them the money, lol.

Yeah that price tag did have me doing a double take.  lol  But if it works like the regular SSD in the Series X then it's an investment.  An investment I will make later on at some point.  

So reportedly, MS Emailing Xbox Insiders for new consoles to circumvent scalpers. Selling direct. Go sign up for that. 

Can we confirm All Access sub route has consoles available? I haven't looked at that in some time & it was a weird sign up process. Hopefully gotten streamlined. I'd consider that...

Even the Xbox One S & especially One X consoles are going for good money on eBay right now.

Can confirm we're also seeing major impacts of chip shortage & manufacturing bottle necks in work life. I have clients waiting 100+ days for big name OEM network switching & wireless from me. I'm being told auto manufacturers are being given priority right now. Look at the empty Chevy lots next time you drive by one. Auto expects it to get better later in year. Tech industry wide... hearing into 2022 unfortunately. Right now, hitting everyone hard.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jagosaurus said:

So reportedly, MS Emailing Xbox Insiders for new consoles to circumvent scalpers. Selling direct. Go sign up for that. 

Can we confirm All Access sub route has consoles available? I haven't looked at that in some time & it was a weird sign up process. Hopefully gotten streamlined. I'd consider that...

Even the Xbox One S & especially One X consoles are going for good money on eBay right now.

Can confirm we're also seeing major impacts of chip shortage & manufacturing bottle necks in work life. I have clients waiting 100+ days for big name OEM network switching & wireless from me. I'm being told auto manufacturers are being given priority right now. Look at the empty Chevy lots next time you drive by one. Auto expects it to get better later in year. Tech industry wide... hearing into 2022 unfortunately. Right now, hitting everyone hard.

It goes in waves but All Access sub definitely has consoles available.  I was able to pick one up a month or so ago, a friend of mine got his delivered couple days ago.

• Thanks 1

Hope this helps some folks. Looks like a Twitter account to follow on releases. I don't have Twitter lol. Article saying All Access getting stock. Strange there was no direct link for MS, only retailers.

https://www.techradar.com/news/massive-xbox-series-x-restock-at-gamestop-today-but-theres-a-catch

This + Insiders getting Emails to buy... means stock at stores will be thin...

• 1 month later...

I got lucky on craigslist today, paid $600. Seller was about 40 miles away. He agreed to drive to my local police station! Only a 5 minute ride for me. I'm super happy with it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MCHufnagel said:

An all digital version of a console with a smaller SSD than the disc version! Brilliant! Gee, I wonder why these can be found?

I hear what you are saying but I find the hardware to be very interesting for the price. Its the cheapest way to get into ray tracing. The only snag is how much the storage expansion is right now. You would save money by just buying a X.

• Like 2

Well after planning on grabbing the All Access package deal when my subscription ended, I discovered that they sold out of the All Access packages online.  Serves me for procrastinating I guess.  Then a couple weeks after I was sitting in a parking lot about to do some shopping when I was looking at my twitter feed and MS Canada had posted that they had some Series X systems available.  I went to the site and setup an account etc as fast as I could and placed an order.  My wife was asking if something was wrong because I looked panicked... as I was messing with my phone feverishly for a minute or two.  I told her what that the Xbox's were available and I might have one!

It took about a week and it arrived.  Nobody in the house remembered what it was... it was just something for Dad.  lol  I set it up and my son was like... "Where did that come from?"  lol.  I installed a few games and I have to say, the transferring of game saves was a breeze!  All that cloud stuff actually works I guess.  

Now to stop playing Fallout games on it and start things like the Ascent and Flight Simulator!

• Like 4

On 8/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, King_Salamon said:

Well after planning on grabbing the All Access package deal when my subscription ended, I discovered that they sold out of the All Access packages online.  Serves me for procrastinating I guess.  Then a couple weeks after I was sitting in a parking lot about to do some shopping when I was looking at my twitter feed and MS Canada had posted that they had some Series X systems available.  I went to the site and setup an account etc as fast as I could and placed an order.  My wife was asking if something was wrong because I looked panicked... as I was messing with my phone feverishly for a minute or two.  I told her what that the Xbox's were available and I might have one!

It took about a week and it arrived.  Nobody in the house remembered what it was... it was just something for Dad.  lol  I set it up and my son was like... "Where did that come from?"  lol.  I installed a few games and I have to say, the transferring of game saves was a breeze!  All that cloud stuff actually works I guess.  

Now to stop playing Fallout games on it and start things like the Ascent and Flight Simulator!

I liked The Ascent but found the difficulty a little high for my taste.  Flight Sim is a gorgeous game, just beware of the crazy download size. :)

GamePass is sooooo good.

11 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I liked The Ascent but found the difficulty a little high for my taste.  Flight Sim is a gorgeous game, just beware of the crazy download size. :)

GamePass is sooooo good.

I'll give the Ascent more than a good amount of time as that style of game is something I find I enjoy quite a bit.  

As for the downloads... I set that up a few days ago so they are done downloading... now I need to get some time on the machine.  lol

And I totally agree that GamePass is very good indeed!  My son is playing tons of games on it on the Xbox X... and when he gets his PC in the next month or two, he will be using GamePass on there as well.  Lots of fun to be had all around!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, digdugnate said:

GamePass is sooooo good.

I've been trying to score an XBox just for the Flight Sim...  XBox should be an excellent setup for it, and for way cheaper than building a PC to do it.  If one could actually buy an XBox...  Haven't seen a single S or X yet.  I've heard rumors of locals stores getting an S or 2 and having it sell within seconds of hitting the shelf.  Guess I either need to hang out next to the XBox display for the next month or just wait until next Summer when the supply chain might be closer to normal!

18 minutes ago, nadir said:

I've been trying to score an XBox just for the Flight Sim...  XBox should be an excellent setup for it, and for way cheaper than building a PC to do it.  If one could actually buy an XBox...  Haven't seen a single S or X yet.  I've heard rumors of locals stores getting an S or 2 and having it sell within seconds of hitting the shelf.  Guess I either need to hang out next to the XBox display for the next month or just wait until next Summer when the supply chain might be closer to normal!

If you're after an S, anecdotally I'm seeing more of them here at like Walmart (I live in SW MO).  The Xs seem a little more unobtainium. :)

On 4/22/2021 at 5:52 AM, Cobra Kai said:

Why can't I get a brand new Xbox at the store? What is the problem with supply on these things? This is a debacle, the X has been released for a year, yet nobody can buy one for less than $900 from a scalper!

It's also looks like its happening with XBox One X. This is the cheapest price for an new XBox One X I would put any trust in the seller (except the likely exploitation), over $600 USD after shipping and tax. Some are posted or sold for a little less, but I'm iffy on folks with 0-20 sales throwing up just a stock image. Normally, they'd be trying to off-load these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265318950075?hash=item3dc63de4bb%3Ag%3Aa-oAAOSwTbVhRcl5&LH_ItemCondition=1000