IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

On 4/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, SainT said:

Early CD game support is now available with the latest firmware. Any game ISO's (CCD/IMG, CDI and CUE/BIN) will need to first be converted into JCD files before they can be run on the GameDrive cartridge. To do this you will need to run your ISO's through this Windows command line tool:

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/product/jaggd/cd2jcd.zip

You may also need to install the latest Visual Studio runtime libraries from Microsoft if you don't have them already:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

The JCD files need to be stored contiguously on the memory card for the CD support to be able to work. Basically this means you need to use a freshly formatted memory card to copy the images onto. The launcher will tell you if there are any issues with the JCD image when you try and run it, if the file is not contiguous it will not try and run it.

You will also need to make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your Jaguar GameDrive cartridge. To do this press OPTION when prompted as the cartridge is booting and visit the URL given to you on-screen.

If (and only if) you do not have the "Press OPTION for firmware update." prompt come up during boot and you bought the cartridge directly from me a long time ago, then grab the firmware update from the product page.

This is early support for CD games, there are issues, but it's at a point people can start playing with it and get something out of it. There is currently no memorytrak support either (yet), so you will not be able to save progress in this way on any CD games.

Also be aware I have had reports (and experience myself) of some memory cards not working with CD support. I believe this is due to the cards being too slow to respond to data requests and starving the data through to the Jaguar and causing games to fail.

Hi SainT,

I tried downloading what I thought were correct files for Visual Studio but I still can't get cd2jcd to run on Windows 10 64bit. Could you point me in the right direction please?

The files I have are .cdi and a few others.

I take it Jiffi won't convert to jcd? I couldn't see an option there.

Many thanks!

Edited by Guitari

1 hour ago, Guitari said:

Hi SainT,

I tried downloading what I thought were correct files for Visual Studio but I still can't get cd2jcd to run on Windows 10 64bit. Could you point me in the right direction please?

The files I have are .cdi and a few others.

I take it Jiffi won't convert to jcd? I couldn't see an option there.

Many thanks!

How does it not work? You do need it… ?

(I develop on Win10 x64, so it’s not that)

Edited by SainT

10 hours ago, SainT said:

How does it not work? You do need it… ?

(I develop on Win10 x64, so it’s not that)

Just nothing happens when I go to open the conversion utility...! What exactly do I need from the Visual Studio link? It opens us with a tonnes of options. Thank you!

EDIT - when I unzip it, the application only shows as 16kb! I assume it's bigger?!

Edited by Guitari
more

2 hours ago, Guitari said:

Just nothing happens when I go to open the conversion utility...! What exactly do I need from the Visual Studio link? It opens us with a tonnes of options. Thank you!

EDIT - when I unzip it, the application only shows as 16kb! I assume it's bigger?!

No, it’s tiny. Not every app needs to be gigabytes… ?

Run it from the dos prompt to use it. ?

3 hours ago, nabuk said:

hi im on firmware 1.09 i think its the latest one i can load regular game no prob but none of my cd game work they are all in .jcd format im using a 32gb samsung evo card format in fat 32 any idea why they wont load thank you

If you are on 1.09, then you will need to upgrade to 1.10

First time poster. Amazing work SainT! The GD is brilliant and CD support takes it to the next level. I never thought I'd get the opportunity to play CD games on my Jaguar.

To anyone who has managed to get Black Ice White Noise to boot, which revision did you have success with? I've had no luck with Rev18. I have a copy of Rev23 on its way in the mail and am hoping it will boot when it arrives.

Is there any truth to the theory that interrupting the Jag logo boot sequence can improve the chance of a game loading successfully? Is it just anecdotal or does it make a known technical difference?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rehashing this old one to see if anyone has gotten Vid Grid to work as of yet. Mine used to load to the "loading" screen the freeze. Then it wouldnt even go that far so I yanked he .jcd and put another one back on in its place and now all I get is "image is not contiguous" which I never got with it. It's the same .jcd but thats what it does now. Reloaded it 4 times and thats all I get. Has anyone gotten it to fully load and play anyways?

Weird that it worked before but then will only show the not contiguous thing now.

You're likely to be getting the non-contiguous error because you deleted a file and then loaded the new copy into fragmented diskspace. If you want to avoid having to reformat your card, you'd be better off not deleting any non-working files and just loading new ones into fresh contiguous space with new filenames.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, consoul said:

You're likely to be getting the non-contiguous error because you deleted a file and then loaded the new copy into fragmented diskspace. If you want to avoid having to reformat your card, you'd be better off not deleting any non-working files and just loading new ones into fresh contiguous space with new filenames.

I had it with the same name to match the mrq but I figure if no one has actually gotten Vid Grid to actually work still I probably won't bother. This was an odd one being a pack in that wouldn't work on the GD just freezes on that loading screen. I guess the same loading issue be said for World Tour Racing still unless anyone has gotten it to work by now. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 10:24 PM, jnando3000 said:

Saint - for those with the original JagSD cart is the firmware update the same process? because when I press option the cartridge locks on a checkered screen.

For the original carts you can grab it here --
https://retrohq.co.uk/product/jaggd/firmware-211006.zip

Note, this is only if your cart does not have the "Press OPTION to update firmware" prompt. This is not a joke. It will not work. Please don't use it then message me asking why it doesn't work. It wont work. It's not supposed to work. Don't do it.

Hopefully that's clear enough. :)

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just now getting around to loading files onto my Game Drive.  I was able to convert a majority of my CDI images, but some of them are just converting to 1 KB JCD files.  Most of these are brand new rips from new/unused discs using DiscJuggler.

These are the games that are doing that:

- Absorbierer

- Alice's Mom's Rescue

- Arne

- Ausweichmanover

- Impulse X

- Iron Soldier 2

- Jagware Collection 1

- Philia

- Simone

- Yopaz Ice Star

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

EDIT: I have now been able to convert all these games successfully.  I ripped them again and unchecked the R-W (CD+G) box on the Advanced tab in DiscJuggler.  The new CDI images all converted without issue.  I had previously read somewhere that CD+G should be checked for ripping Jaguar CD discs, but clearly that isn't the case.  Now the only options I am using are Ignore read errors and RAW read.  Next step, testing them on the Game Drive itself!

My only problem with any of these conversions has been to secure a working version of Discjuggler for use. It seems to be an archaic program that stopped being supported many years back. I'm surprised that was the program used for these conversions if there are newer or more user friendly and updated programs like IMGburn that can rip CD games. It's just that the format needed after the rip is CDI which IMGburn doesn't produce any CDI when ripped.

I finally got my Game Drive loaded up, updated the firmware, and did some testing with it today.  I have a SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC memory card.  Out of all my CD games, these are the ones that are NOT working based on limited testing:

• Ausweichmanover - Freezes after Reboot splash screen
  • Bomb Squad - Freezes at initial Bomb Squad screen
  • Double Feature 1 - Freezes after selecting game mode
  • Hover Strike - Fails to load. Others have reported this game working, but I have ripped and converted multiple times and can't get it to load at all.
  • Impulse X - Fails to load. Others have reported this game working, but I have ripped and converted multiple times and can't get it to load at all.
  • Jagware Collection 1 - Freezes at menu after pressing a button
  • Ocean Depths - Freezes on load screen
  • Simone - Shows RISC Games logo, then fails to load
  • Vid Grid - Freezes on in-game loading screen
  • World Tour Racing - Freezes after pressing A on game menu

I know many of these have already been reported as non-working.  If anyone has suggestions, particularly for the games that other people were able to run successfully, please let me know.  Otherwise, I guess I just have to patiently await further updates to improve compatibility.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:23 PM, Sargon said:

Sadly, that only got the game to convert, but I tested it this afternoon and it doesn't work.

I feel like you're doing something slightly more right than me, as I did get it to build, but not to show any logo. I think I still need discjuggler, I believe I ripped it to CDI using something else, or a different format and then a converter. I do think I got a warning of some kind each time I converted it though. I also reached out to the publisher of it who is totally fine with owners running it on the GD, but didn't have a GD themselves. They did mention providing a copy to SainT, so maybe some day he can look into it, though there's definitely more pressing issues and projects.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones as I can't play a single CD game on my K-model Jag :(

Tried different SD cards, never had any non-contiguous errors, just black screen. GD on latest firmware. The furthest I get is a second or two of intro video on a couple games and then black screen again.

I'm enjoying all the regular Jaguar games though, as well as the awesome ST ports and homebrew.

• Sad 2

All of my CD games were working except for the ones known to have issues. I did a firmware update and after that all of them failed to load, just did the Atari Jaguar logo motion and then went to black screens. Not sure why that happened and was only after an update of the firmware.

I had to delete all the CD files I had off the SD card and then pull them back on fresh from my laptop for then to all work again. With the exception of Vid Grid which instead of going to the loading screen refuses to do that and just does the "image not contingious". I'm fine with that one tho and not looking to reformat the whole thing and do everything over again just due to the 1 cd game Vid Grid showing that error since again it wouldn't load all the way anyways.