IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

On 2/13/2022 at 3:41 AM, SainT said:

Press option when booting when it says ‘Press OPTION for firmware update’ then use the QR code or link provided. The update url will be displayed on the screen along with the QR code with the same link. If you get the serial number, press option again. Sometimes I have heard peoples controller buttons are sticky and they end up on the serial number screen and try and use that.

Those of us with OSSC devices likely will not see the first screen due to the "sync" delay.  But you can hit the "option" button blind at startup and get the QR code.

• 1 month later...

SainT, I don't know if it will be very complex or just something numerical to implement, but please, can you update the GameDrive CD ISO Converter program to support more than the limit of 81 tracks? I have created the "Jaguar Hockey" CD ripp in .CDI format and this game contains 93 tracks but the "cd2jcd" v1.0 doesn't like it... :P 

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I'm loving the GameDrive's CD support, thank you -- excellent work.

The only game that I can't wait to get working, largely for nostalgic reasons, is VidGrid. I played this game a ton as a kid and have tried to get the old Windows version (using emulation) but could never get it to actually work. At this point the only way for me to play this game is to buy a JagCD. I love the game, but not that much!

Any update on if we can expect VidGrid anytime soon? Surely I'm not the only one waiting for this MTV-era masterpiece!

Both my jags behave the same with CD games.
-VidGrid freezes when loading title screen
-Battlemorph has the same music glitch (which sounds actually cool lol it reminds me of synthesized robotic distortion sounds from vintage tech/futuristic shows). It also sometimes boots/doesn't boot...
-World Tour Racing gives a black screen seconds around the start of the attract after giving me several iterations of the title screen when trying to access a menu(pushing buttons)
It's on a brand new defragged Sandisk Extreme 32
Idk if it's useful info or not, i may try a different SD card to see if results vary.?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SainT said:

Yes, very much the same pattern I am seeing. I will get back to the Jaguar before too long. Far too many things on my plate, as it were... ?

Hate to nag - is the ability to run the VLM still planned?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 1:09 PM, chris_greece said:

I cant play Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands  CD....:(

What's going on with the game, it won't start or crashes in gaming? if I remember correctly, that game worked for me. Just make sure you have a card with enough speed, because on slower cards, none of the CD games will work.

I hope SainT will relase one firmware that will support the Memory track, without improving compatibility for other CD games. I know that improving compatibility is a very big and difficult job and that it can take a long time. But I believe that the Memory Track can be done faster so that in the meantime we can play CD games that are impossible to play without save game option like Highlander.

• Like 2

I will get to both (compatibility and memory trak) -- it's just taking a while at the moment as I'm having to deal with the fallout of not being able to get hold of any components due to the ongoing electronic component shortage. I'm having to redesign some products to be able to try and produce them again, so this is taking priority over improving compatibility. Once I can actually produce things again I can get back to trying to improve them.

Unfortunately I'm a one-man-band (as they say), so things like this are a massive headache for me.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I don't start a new thread, becaus it concerns a problem with CD on GameDrive games. After making an upgrade to version 1.12, practically no images of original games like MYST, Primal Rage, Blue Lightning, Baldies, practically do not run properly. I did a downgrade to version 1.10 and then practically everything works again, Primal Rage doesn't crash e.g. during Loading or erroneously displayed graphics in MYST

Has anyone noticed anything similar after the firmware upgrade ?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, EnzymeX1983 said:

Hi, whats the latest status on cd support? I've managed to run a lot of cd games in the past but all of a sudden they dont work anymore. I did however do a firmware upgrade of the gamedrive in the meantime. Could this have anything to do with it?

This happened to me multiple times, it's probably described as to why it does this but is beyond my knowledge as to why.

But in my instance which is probably the same as yours, I have say a CD iso on there and it worked. Now tsndomly if you try to use it, it just loads to a black screen, no reason why. So then I have to delete the CD iso from the SD card, reinstall it on the card, THEN it works. Same iso as before, but it's as if over time something causes it to just not load, but when deleted and installed the same iso onto the card again all works. I had to do the same thing with basically every CD iso this past year if I decide to play a CD game. If they just load to a black screen have to delete the iso and reload it on the card then they work again. Really weird

31 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

This happened to me multiple times, it's probably described as to why it does this but is beyond my knowledge as to why.

But in my instance which is probably the same as yours, I have say a CD iso on there and it worked. Now tsndomly if you try to use it, it just loads to a black screen, no reason why. So then I have to delete the CD iso from the SD card, reinstall it on the card, THEN it works. Same iso as before, but it's as if over time something causes it to just not load, but when deleted and installed the same iso onto the card again all works. I had to do the same thing with basically every CD iso this past year if I decide to play a CD game. If they just load to a black screen have to delete the iso and reload it on the card then they work again. Really weird

Purely speculation on my part, but could it be the ISO images are getting fragmented?

It checks for fragmentation, so it wont be that. Booting some CD's is not reliable -- Battlemorph and Blue Lightening for me are two which will sometimes boot, sometimes not. I've not had time to look at it any further, but I will do eventually.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Purely speculation on my part, but could it be the ISO images are getting fragmented?

That's probably the case but what causes that honestly? It's as if one day the ISO works then maybe come back a few weeks later and then boom it only loads a black screen for the previously working ISO. Delete and re-ad it and then it works again. 

Something causes that to happen, just don't know why. When it happens, if I really want to play that specific game I'll just delete, re-ad, then play.

• Like 1

On a related note, be careful how many times you eject or insert your SD card. My push to eject mechanism died after about 8, maybe 10 such swaps as I was updating my card / working the CD compatibility issue. I NEVER pulled on the card without pushing in first and waiting for the card to pop out. SainT suggested I talk to AA since that is where I bought it, but it has taken me a while to get back in because of the change to passwords (kept getting locked out!). If I can, later today I will ask them what remedy they have for me.

11 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

On a related note, be careful how many times you eject or insert your SD card. My push to eject mechanism died after about 8, maybe 10 such swaps as I was updating my card / working the CD compatibility issue. I NEVER pulled on the card without pushing in first and waiting for the card to pop out. SainT suggested I talk to AA since that is where I bought it, but it has taken me a while to get back in because of the change to passwords (kept getting locked out!). If I can, later today I will ask them what remedy they have for me.

Ow man thats too bad, mine is working still fine even after 25 times or more . Hope you can get it fixed!

Edited by EnzymeX1983

OK, an update. Using a tweezers to remove and reinsert the card several times in a row, the eject mechanism is working again (after several months of it not working.) Hopefully it will remain that way. I will not be removing it for updates until theCD compatibility issue is fully resolved so as to not tempt fate.  ;) 

• Like 1