IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

4 hours ago, mwolf said:

Amazing work on this! I am so excited to be able to play Jaguar CD Games! The game drive is a dream come true. I did one report initially I ran into today. I was playing blue lightning, no issues. Finish the training courses at the beginning. When it was time to select an actual mission, the game froze. Was such a bummer! I’ll have to try again. Anybody experience this yet?

Any weirdness with CD games, the first thing to look at is trying a different memory card.

11 hours ago, mwolf said:

...I was playing blue lightning, no issues. Finish the training courses at the beginning. When it was time to select an actual mission, the game froze. Was such a bummer! I’ll have to try again. Anybody experience this yet?

I had briefly played Blue Lightning on the GameDrive before yesterday and it seemed to work. However, yesterday I spent a little more time with it and finished a campaign. When it went back to the map to select another campaign, it froze. So I'm wondering if there's an issue with this game on the GameDrive. I was using my own rip because the redump one was not showing icons on the campaign map. But later realized that part seems to be an issue with it running off the GameDrive as sometimes they show and sometimes they don't.

BTW, I commented before about where WTR freezes for me, (I know its a known issue), but I didn't comment on how the music does not play when the title screen opens to the demo race. If this game's compatibility gets fixed, I'd imagine it would clear this up as well, but wanted to clarify.

Edited by KevinMos3

30 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

I had briefly played Blue Lightning in the GameDrive before yesterday and it seemed to work. However, yesterday I spent a little more time with it and finished a campaign. When it went back to the map to select another campaign, it froze. So I'm wondering if there's an issue with this game on the GameDrive. I was using my own rip because the redump one was not showing icons on the campaign map. But later realized that part seems to be an issue with it running off the GameDrive as sometimes they show and sometimes they don't.

Any weirdness with CD games, the first thing to look at is trying a different memory card.

Also, I do get the feeling not all Jaguars are the same -- I should be getting a really picky one for investigation. I'm not sure if it's just an issue with the GPU / DSP chips being slightly different in terms of timing margins, or if it's indicative of other parts being marginal. Either way I'll do what I can when I get the chance to try and improve stability either by tracking down what needs to be sorted on the Jaguar in question, or if it's improving timings on the GD iteself.

But as stated previously, this is very much a beta release -- expect things not to be perfect. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it seems to work for most people, to be quite honest. It's a complex thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SainT said:

Any weirdness with CD games, the first thing to look at is trying a different memory card.

Also, I do get the feeling not all Jaguars are the same -- I should be getting a really picky one for investigation. 

...this is very much a beta release -- expect things not to be perfect. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it seems to work for most people, to be quite honest. It's a complex thing.

- My memory card is a high speed one that's been pretty good with every other game that's been reported to work, and a couple that hadn't, so I'm not concerned about it.

- My Jaguar is a "K" serial number. I saw you asked for that in an earlier post.

- Yeah, I was surprised by how many games worked as well. Don't take my posts as a complaint, just a report so you know of things to check out.

I'll try Blue Lightning again later today to see if it happens again. I'm not usually able to complete all the campaigns (speaking from years past), but the South America one is usually pretty easy for me.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2021 at 5:40 PM, Mitch said:

I can get you one if you still need it.

Thanks,

Mitch

Did a bit more testing. I tried re-dumping a couple of the problem discs with an external USB CD-ROM drive and got the same errors. So I either have a bunch of bad discs or the converter tool needs a little tweaking.

Mitch

On 4/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, mwolf said:

Amazing work on this! I am so excited to be able to play Jaguar CD Games! The game drive is a dream come true. I did one report initially I ran into today. I was playing blue lightning, no issues. Finish the training courses at the beginning. When it was time to select an actual mission, the game froze. Was such a bummer! I’ll have to try again. Anybody experience this yet?

For what it's worth, I had the exact same behavior where upon completing the training missions, the game froze right after the map "morphed" into the selection screen.  When I skip the training missions however, I had no issues.  Wonder if maybe we have the same memory card?

6 hours ago, Mitch said:

Did a bit more testing. I tried re-dumping a couple of the problem discs with an external USB CD-ROM drive and got the same errors. So I either have a bunch of bad discs or the converter tool needs a little tweaking.

Mitch

I've had a look at another image someone made which was allegedly ripped perfectly with no errors (according to the software) and it was missing data on track 2. So if the error is to do with a missing signature, chances are it's probably right and the dump is not valid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SainT said:

I've had a look at another image someone made which was allegedly ripped perfectly with no errors (according to the software) and it was missing data on track 2. So if the error is to do with a missing signature, chances are it's probably right and the dump is not valid.

FYI, I found the source of the errors using Redump’s DiscImageCreator software. I was using the latest release of DICUI but it turns out it doesn’t include the latest (4/1) release of DiscImageCreator itself. I manually updated it and that resolved the cd2jcd conversion errors. 

• Like 1

Interesting, I have been using Diskjuggler for ripping the discs. I even downloaded someone else's rip of the same game and it gives errors in the same places. I guess I need to try a different ripping software. Diskjuggler has been discontinued for years, so obviously there are no updates to run.

Mitch

4 hours ago, Gunnder said:

Hey guys, just updated my Jag GD to the latest firmware with CD support. However I am having a hard time converting .ccd images wit the cd2jcd tool. It just doesn't seem to work at all. Is this a known issue?

Yep, it's a known issue.  SaiNT has said he'll look into it, but I think it's a bit low priority since there are alternative image formats that are working fine.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, samson7point1 said:

Yep, it's a known issue.  SaiNT has said he'll look into it, but I think it's a bit low priority since there are alternative image formats that are working fine.

Thanks! I will be patient and wait then :) I have a few disc images that I can only find in .ccd, so it is what it is.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:53 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Robinson's Requiem is working for me.  Ripped with DiscJuggler.  First cdi ripped did nothing in cd2jcd, but the second attempt converted and plays fine.

I got the .cdi with signature error. In-game the sound crashes. What's your DiscJuggler settings for to make the backup?

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 32GB class 10. In Dragon's Lair, I'm consistently having the game crash very early in the fire ropes scene. What's odd is it always works fine if the scene is played with Dirk going from the right to the left, but crashes every time if the scene is mirrored. The scene seems to play 80% of the time starting from the left... Are they different video files or is a mirror effect applied?

BTW, my Jag has a K serial number.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, swapd0 said:

Are you going to release the source code of this tool? I've installed in a virtual box (I don't have a win machine) with xp and win10 and it didn't work even after installing the Visual Studio runtime.

Sorry, I will do, as usual too many things on the go and I wan't to tidy it up a little and fix the outstanding CCD issue.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I have a problem:

I tryed to update the firmware with latest (firmware-210414.zip) firmware.upd in the root of SD card but it was not recognized (the menu booted normally); so I read in the forum to rename it to firmware.ovr; I renamed it, rebooted and now it ALWAYS get be to the QR code screen and I cannot use tha cartridge anymore. Any way to get out of that situation ? 

1 minute ago, student said:

Hi guys, I have a problem:

I tryed to update the firmware with latest (firmware-210414.zip) firmware.upd in the root of SD card but it was not recognized (the menu booted normally); so I read in the forum to rename it to firmware.ovr; I renamed it, rebooted and now it ALWAYS get be to the QR code screen and I cannot use tha cartridge anymore. Any way to get out of that situation ? 

As stated over and over again, if you get a QR code, USE IT to download the firmware update.

ONLY if you DO NOT have a QR code, use the firmware on the website.