IGNORED

POPi

GDMike

Pop a search word in and then let the tipi POP an answer back. Using popi

So I'm thinking about making an interface for basic search engine stuff. 

The user program is in basic or extended basic.

A repository must exist for the question/answer user files

And I'll have an interpreter program running in windows.

From what I'm figuring so far:

The basic program is loaded from the user side on a TI console with tipi installed. The first question that the program asks, "what is your search"?

And you as a user would type in, how far is Mars.  for example

Until I can figure out identification the program will have to ask you for a unique identifier. This is because if there is more than one question submitted the program running on Windows needs to identify what question needs what answer and where it needs to be sent.

So the question comes up next on the screen asking the user for a unique identifier as an example, 43hm

No one needs to know this number except for the program it's only used internally. Like I said until I can generate a randomized five digit code that the program can use that every program won't use the same code when run it's easy enough to come up with the answer for that but I just for now I'm going to use this for my test.

And the next thing you see on the screen after you submit the unique identifier is the words working or please wait or have a seat this may take a moment..

And then hopefully within a reasonable amount of time you'll get something like

How far is mars. 176.15 miles.

To do this would take another machine that would be watching for a unique identifier file to show up with a letter of q on the end so I can tell that this is a question file.

And then the answer file will end with the letter A and it will sit on the repository for a certain amount of time before it's deleted.

The user extended basic program will keep polling looking for the file that ends with the A after the identifier that it was submitted with.

So I'm asking is this something that I should spend my time doing or not?

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GDMike said:

So I'm thinking about making an interface for basic search engine stuff. 

The user program is in basic or extended basic.

A repository must exist for the question/answer user files

And I'll have an interpreter program running in windows.

From what I'm figuring so far:

The basic program is loaded from the user side on a TI console with tipi installed. The first question that the program asks, "what is your search"?

And you as a user would type in, how far is Mars.  for example

Until I can figure out identification the program will have to ask you for a unique identifier. This is because if there is more than one question submitted the program running on Windows needs to identify what question needs what answer and where it needs to be sent.

So the question comes up next on the screen asking the user for a unique identifier as an example, 43hm

No one needs to know this number except for the program it's only used internally. Like I said until I can generate a randomized five digit code that the program can use that every program won't use the same code when run it's easy enough to come up with the answer for that but I just for now I'm going to use this for my test.

And the next thing you see on the screen after you submit the unique identifier is the words working or please wait or have a seat this may take a moment..

And then hopefully within a reasonable amount of time you'll get something like

How far is mars. 176.15 miles.

To do this would take another machine that would be watching for a unique identifier file to show up with a letter of q on the end so I can tell that this is a question file.

And then the answer file will end with the letter A and it will sit on the repository for a certain amount of time before it's deleted.

The user extended basic program will keep pulling looking for the file that ends with the A after the identifier that it was submitted with.

So I'm asking is this something that I should spend my time doing or not?

What programming language are you planning on using to code the interpreter on the Windows platform?

I would suggest not to use a language specific to Windows.  I suggest using Python 3, this way it would be cross-platform compatible with Windows, Linux or Mac.  It could even run on a Raspberry Pi!

If you like some help figuring all this out then hit me up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I already have code that,in windows and using VFP, I've been able to stack user defined stock symbols.

And all day, the program hits yahoo finance and never fails to deliver current prices, my program, being a database, can display history and do the math of up down and currency value etc...

In otherwords, I'm able to open a socket go to a specific website and do a search and only pull text data. So I thought well why couldn't I just do that with this. 

Filtering would be a little different and that stuff I'd have to work on but...

And the reason why I chose Windows because I don't know crap about python.

But I think this would be a start of something we might need or someone might want I'd rather be running automatically on a raspberry pi that's already running on a tipi to submit questions and gain the answer automatically instead of having a dedicated program on Windows to do it.

That would really be ideal like you said but I know nothing about python like I say and I would be dead in the water.