IGNORED

PS5 and Series X: only 2 exclusives 6 months later

How do you feel about the Series X not having exclusives after 6 months and the PS5 having only 2?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Series X not having exclusives after 6 months and the PS5 having only 2?

• I think it's acceptable
    • I think it's unacceptable

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Playstation 5 and the Xbox Series X only have 2 exclusives when it's almost 6 months since their release date.

More precisely, the Series X doesn't have any and the PS5 only has a remaster, Demon's Souls, and a game included with the console, Astro's Playroom.

In contrast, the original Playstation had 15 exclusive games 6 months after its release (1, 2 ).

Let's discuss.

• Like 1

With the fact that the systems aren't readily available in stores or even Amazon, it doesn't matter much that it has any games for it yet. Until you can just walk into any old store and buy one, it's better to just pretend it's not even out yet. Stick to PS4 and Xbox One for a while longer.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 4

Well a lot of things are weird over the past year, so I'm willing to cut them a little slack. But I've definitely noticed this myself and it's one reason I've basically stopped looking for a PS5. I managed to get an Xbox Series X already, but I haven't bought a single game for it - I'm using it as a media box. Like my Xbox One S before it, it is my main media player on my TV. But I don't know of any games I really need for it.

Games these days take a long time to develop so this is probably just me talking out my ass, but I'll bet that at least the lack of *announced* exclusives so far is partly due to the fact that nobody can buy either of these machines. I mean every single system that gets put out there gets sold, but I have to think the total sales are well below where Sony, MS and the game developers would want them to be. They're certainly less than they *could* be. So absent some sweetheart deal from Sony or MS, why would a developer decide to make an exclusive game for these systems right now?

It does make me again lament the days when consoles were basically just platforms for the console manufacturers' games, though. That was the entire reason for their existence. I guess Nintendo is still continuing that, but they're just not really my thing (though I do own two Switches) and I wish they had a real competitor. Sony and MS seem content to just dump a piece of hardware out there and say "you guys figure it out."

Sony does have a couple of Final Fantasy exclusives coming, so I do want a system for those.

Let's face it, Covid has thrown the schedules of all the major developers out of whack. When their business model has hundreds of people working all hours together under one roof things are going to proceed much more slowly when they're down to small teams or working individually from home. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the crunch model is seen as a pretty bad one in the software industry at large that both burns people out and leads to poor quality code. I'd think that we'll start to see most of the games that would otherwise have been in the launch window during the next few months, although they probably won't get too much of a fanfare because nobody's going to fancy their chances at finishing them off to a deadline.

Also, the Series X was never going to get a lot of exclusives and Microsoft were pretty much upfront about that from the beginning. Rather, it was all about being able to get better performance out of the same games that the XB1 was still going to get, or indeed out of a Windows PC unless you were prepared to throw a lot of money at it, and it's managed to deliver on that score at least. Sony obviously promised more exclusive content, but even they're capable of leveraging a fair bit out improved performance for PS4 games, so there's still something of an up-side for the early adopters.

The reasons stated above are true, but also the times are different in general. It's just much harder to get exclusivity deals, unless you own a lot of first party studios or just up and buy them (hence MS's spending spree) - and even then the likes of Bethsoft might still only do timed exclusives. I bet Dark Souls remaster will end up on PC as well eventually.

I find it disappointing. I know that most people will say something along the lines "it's good for the customers", but I actually do like that little bit of variety and tension the exclusives bring to the old-style system wars. Otherwise, what's there to differentiate the console generations? Just some boring hardware details, people splitting hair over tedium of dynamic resolutions and SSD speeds...zzz...which might as well be one of the reasons for Switch's success, because it's so different hardware & software wise.

• Like 1

OK, I ended up grabbing a Series X in December. Maybe not so many exclusives but, Same basic look(nothing to re-learn now to use or anything), MUCH faster to use than my Xbox one X was.  Getting 4K 120hz is always nice on select games.  Games that were upgraded look so much better.  I do know the exclusives are coming, as they are being worked on and you can pretty much blame COVID-19 on it.

The there is always RetroArch retail that I was able to use (you need an invite to get it).  I was playing Call of Duty cold war, and later in the afternoon, I was playing Super Mario world with BSNes HD, so I had a full 16:9 background while playing (looks amazing by the way), tried it with F-Zero, WOW.  Then I played a little GameCube, and was playing Mario Sunshine for a little bit.. Then I played Mike Tyson's punch out, My 2019 4K TV has a ultra low lag mode (less than 13ms, tested by me), I was was doing flawless, seemed like almost no lag at all. My punches were almost perfect and of course, I used Real time save, so who needs codes ??? :) I did try some PS2 games but, I have an issue I need to work through. The series X will play everything from 2600 to PS2 games, it's very impressive. 

I do have some games that I was unable to finish on the 360 and on the Xbox one, now I can finish them up on Series X and most of them look far better. I am working on my back log while playing some new games that I didn't even think about (Gamepass.. upgraded my Xbox live to 3 years and paid the $1 for game pass ultimate). It's nice to see some different games, some experiences that I would of never thought of buying or playing, Gamepass offers that.

So, it's nice to have exclusives but, those will come in time, same with you PS5 owners but, always having more content on your console is always awesome !

Edited by TheCoolDave

What I'm looking for more so than exclusives is the next generation experiences.   Demon Souls does cool stuff with the dual-sense, but at it's core it's a PS3 game with better graphics.   So far I haven't played anything that makes the console feel like anything other than a glorified PS4.

Also in one sense it's kind of good there isn't a flood of must-play PS5 things just yet,  the internal storage can't handle it!   Supposedly this summer they will allow us to expand the storage and tell us which m.2 drives they will support.

46 minutes ago, zzip said:

What I'm looking for more so than exclusives is the next generation experiences.

I doubt this will happen anytime soon. Cyberpunk 2077 might have next gen gfx (at least on a beefy PC), but at its core it is a very old school game. And there's nothing on the horizon which might fulfil that criteria. Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Far Cry, etc - it's all an old hat, really.

It took forever with PS4, I remember not having anything to play with for like a year or two it's just going to get worse with each console release. I don't expect anything from Microsoft, they've embraced PC\Win10 and cross platform play. Sony I expect the usually Naughty Dog stuff, maybe two releases and possible remasters again. God of War maybe one more game and maybe remasters. Same with anything else one or two games and then on to the PS6. Elder Scrolls 6 would help boost sales but that'll be released everywhere it's not an exclusive.

I'm not sure what you'd consider a next generation experience to be these days when even the last generation was mostly the same games you were playing on the PS3/360 but with (sometimes) better resolutions and frame rates.

That's not to say that there aren't occasionally games with new ideas, but they'll generally work just as well on the Switch as the PS5, just not at 4K and 120fps.

• Like 1

Yeah I think "next generation experiences" are pretty much not happening anymore. What you're looking for is something akin to the leap from 2D to 3D or even SD to HD and that is just not a thing that occurs every generation. The closest thing is VR and at this point I feel like if you're not already into that, you're probably one of those people who's actively resisting it, so there's no point really even talking about it.

The best you're probably going to get from this gen is going to be better graphics and frame rates. It's akin to upgrading your graphics card and CPU on your PC.

Hate to say it but I'm starting to think this gen might be the last of the traditional game consoles... which some have been predicting for decades, but it's feeling like the day might finally be here. If both modern consoles are basically just walled gardens running non-exclusive games using PC hardware, why not just keep a desktop PC that you can upgrade as you wish and run those same games? I feel like MS is seeing the writing on the wall with trying to turn Xbox into a service rather than a specific hardware platform. Sony seems to want to keep making traditional consoles but they're just not doing a great job of it right now. (Even ignoring the chip shortage that's not really their fault, the whole PS5 design is just kind of lackluster and generic, and of course we're already talking about the lack of exclusives that they've had for every other PS launch.)

It's definitely the least exciting new console generation I can remember, and it's ironic that both systems are so hard to get. But that's just artificial because of the global chip shortage brought on by the pandemic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Sony seems to want to keep making traditional consoles but they're just not doing a great job of it right now. (Even ignoring the chip shortage that's not really their fault, the whole PS5 design is just kind of lackluster and generic, and of course we're already talking about the lack of exclusives that they've had for every other PS launch.)

I respect anybody's opinion, but it's still a bestseller. PS2 also had a slow start and...well. And there are plenty of "big" games to play, despite the lack of exclusives. I suppose consoles will continue to do well because not everybody wants to faff round with PCs, until it's all being streamed directly to your TV 30 years from now.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Yeah I think "next generation experiences" are pretty much not happening anymore. What you're looking for is something akin to the leap from 2D to 3D or even SD to HD and that is just not a thing that occurs every generation. The closest thing is VR and at this point I feel like if you're not already into that, you're probably one of those people who's actively resisting it, so there's no point really even talking about it.

The best you're probably going to get from this gen is going to be better graphics and frame rates. It's akin to upgrading your graphics card and CPU on your PC.

I'm not looking for a 2D->3D transation, however I do see a lot that can be improved.   For instance, in a typical open world game,  a lot of the objects that are around you are just decoration.   You can't interact with them,  you can't destroy them or alter them.  I would love to see more games with more interactive objects.   Also NPC's that do more than just follow a script.    Like if you find a stove, you could use to cook a meal on, or use it to fill the house with gas and cause an explosion.  You find flowers, you can cut them make a bouquet and give it to an NPC to win their affections.   If you are driving in a city and hit a building, maybe you go through the window instead of bouncing off.  If you go back the next day, it's boarded up.

Some games do have mechanics like these,  but a lot of the AAA open world games don't.   I think these types of things are needed to take those games to the next level.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

(Even ignoring the chip shortage that's not really their fault, the whole PS5 design is just kind of lackluster and generic, and of course we're already talking about the lack of exclusives that they've had for every other PS launch.)

The PS5 has some great tech that not even current PCs can match.   But now they need to bring out games to show what it can do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, youxia said:

I respect anybody's opinion, but it's still a bestseller. PS2 also had a slow start and...well. And there are plenty of "big" games to play, despite the lack of exclusives. I suppose consoles will continue to do well because not everybody wants to faff round with PCs, until it's all being streamed directly to your TV 30 years from now.

I wasn't talking about total sales, I was talking about the system being artificially hard to get. The only thing I mentioned about sales was that while Sony's selling every system they make, they *could* be selling a lot more if the system was actually available, and nobody counted on this chip shortage or these bots. Even the link you posted says that bots are a big part of the sales numbers, and the global chip shortage is well known. For a while I was trying to get a system every time it'd be restocked, and it was physically impossible for humans to be buying them as fast as what I saw literally every single time. In most cases, I never even got an "add to cart" button before the stock listing changed from "available at whatever time" to "sold out", despite continuous page refreshing.

A lot of those scalped systems are sitting on Ebay, Amazon, Wal-Mart's marketplace and other web sites at inflated prices right now. Obviously scalpers need to be selling *some* of them or they have no financial incentive to keep buying them, but without those scalpers in the mix I'll bet it would be a lot easier for a normal person to get a system. And while it wouldn't be good for Sony, part of me does hope that somewhere, some scalper has a warehouse of 50,000 PS5's that they bought at MSRP thinking they could double the price and is getting no takers. That would be justice.

5 hours ago, zzip said:

I'm not looking for a 2D->3D transation, however I do see a lot that can be improved.   For instance, in a typical open world game,  a lot of the objects that are around you are just decoration.   You can't interact with them,  you can't destroy them or alter them.  I would love to see more games with more interactive objects.   Also NPC's that do more than just follow a script.    Like if you find a stove, you could use to cook a meal on, or use it to fill the house with gas and cause an explosion.  You find flowers, you can cut them make a bouquet and give it to an NPC to win their affections.   If you are driving in a city and hit a building, maybe you go through the window instead of bouncing off.  If you go back the next day, it's boarded up.

I guess. I guess it depends on what you want out of video games. I know some people want what amounts to a stand-in for reality, with everything interactive and everything open world. I really only want that for hardcore simulators, which aren't generally a game console thing anyway. (I will say that I recently got the newest Densha De Go for PS4, which has a VR mode that's extremely sim-like, and it is pretty unbelievable in that mode.) For most games, though, I'd take fun over realism, and those aren't the same thing and aren't even necessarily linked. I only care if I can do something in a game if it actually is part of the game mechanic.

It also still just sounds like you're asking for "more"... a lot of those types of things are already in games like Red Dead Redemption 2. You can't cook on some random stove, but the amount of totally tangential stuff you can do in that game is already kind of too much for me, because it's hard to even know what matters and what doesn't. Some things do affect how people treat you going forward, but other things are just time-wasters. It's a little too close to real life in that way, and I ended up just not doing any of the extra stuff anymore and then just giving up on it after probably 100 hours in the game and feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere. But it sounds like you're wishing for a game like that, only with even more interactive elements. I'm sure that's totally possible on a system like the PS5, but I wouldn't really consider that a "next gen" experience, because it's just more of the same stuff.

Don't get me wrong, though - better graphics and performance are good things, but I just wish there was more that was unique to these systems vs. the PC. I mean the Switch is definitely unique, and it has games unique to it too; they're just not usually games that appeal to me. I miss Sega! I want a Sega Switch. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I guess. I guess it depends on what you want out of video games. I know some people want what amounts to a stand-in for reality, with everything interactive and everything open world. I really only want that for hardcore simulators, which aren't generally a game console thing anyway. (I will say that I recently got the newest Densha De Go for PS4, which has a VR mode that's extremely sim-like, and it is pretty unbelievable in that mode.) For most games, though, I'd take fun over realism, and those aren't the same thing and aren't even necessarily linked. I only care if I can do something in a game if it actually is part of the game mechanic.

It also still just sounds like you're asking for "more"... a lot of those types of things are already in games like Red Dead Redemption 2. You can't cook on some random stove, but the amount of totally tangential stuff you can do in that game is already kind of too much for me, because it's hard to even know what matters and what doesn't. Some things do affect how people treat you going forward, but other things are just time-wasters. It's a little too close to real life in that way, and I ended up just not doing any of the extra stuff anymore and then just giving up on it after probably 100 hours in the game and feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere. But it sounds like you're wishing for a game like that, only with even more interactive elements. I'm sure that's totally possible on a system like the PS5, but I wouldn't really consider that a "next gen" experience, because it's just more of the same stuff.

Ok well I haven't played Red Dead,  maybe I should!   But I've played too many "open worlds" where there are vast areas of land, but nothing really special to see or do in all that area-  no reason to go off the beaten path.   I want those worlds to feel alive.

But yeah there is a risk of becoming overwhelming for the player with too many options.    I think the game needs to strike a balance.  Like you should have something to remind you what your current objective is, even as it lets you go off and do what you like.

But yeah those kinds of things aren't suitable for every game.

But still, if gameplay innovations aren't next gen,  what is?   Better graphics are diminishing returns at this point.   There's plenty of stuff on PS4 that still looks amazing.   If you play those games on PS5 with 4K & HDR the visuals will look sharper, but don't exactly look hugely different to how they look on PS4..  especially not when you are sitting several feet away from the screen.

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Hate to say it but I'm starting to think this gen might be the last of the traditional game consoles... which some have been predicting for decades, but it's feeling like the day might finally be here. If both modern consoles are basically just walled gardens running non-exclusive games using PC hardware, why not just keep a desktop PC that you can upgrade as you wish and run those same games? I feel like MS is seeing the writing on the wall with trying to turn Xbox into a service rather than a specific hardware platform. Sony seems to want to keep making traditional consoles but they're just not doing a great job of it right now. (Even ignoring the chip shortage that's not really their fault, the whole PS5 design is just kind of lackluster and generic, and of course we're already talking about the lack of exclusives that they've had for every other PS launch.)

I agree, I saw the writing on the wall when I got the PS4 on release within the first year, just the way Sony treated backwards compatibility. At that point I remember thinking to myself I do not want to invest on any digital games on any console at all, might as well build my steam\gog library and not to mention: ditching those monthly ‘online’ subscriptions.

I'm perfectly comfortable playing games on a computer, I've always played games primarily on a computer since the late 80’s but I think some type of console box will always have a place though, for people that just want to turn on something and just start playing and those who know nothing of computers.

At one point some years back, I had some hand problems too (years of doing IT work and programming) so I almost had no choice but to switch. Regardless if I did own a new console, I’d only be buying exclusives anyway so the library would be really small and almost not worth it for the price of the machine. 

Edited by cimerians

Aha! I'm so out of the loop that I didn't pay attention, but it explains why the modern games tracker so far only has 1 true PS5 game (Demons Souls) and 3 Xbox Series X games (all sports games with what I presume is higher resolution and frame rate than the XB1 versions of the same).

• Like 1

I dont know about Xbox but I know the PS5 has more than 2. Off the top of my head Destruction Allstars is another. 

Games are expensive to make now adays so companies are going to try to logically get as much money back as possible. The market is completely different from the PSX era.

• Like 2

At this point PlayStation and Xbox are more or less the same exact thing with a different controller. I think that, for the most part, it's safe to say that you can almost pick which one you want based solely on the controller and literally nothing else unless you are specifically looking for backwards compatibility for one or the other. As for me, I'll abstain from buying either of them until there are exclusives worth playing that I care about, as I have a PC/PS4/Switch that cover modern games and playing BDs well enough. Consoles are defined by their exclusives more than anything else, so with nothing there and a competent PC from late 2017 that is still powerful enough to run Death Stranding at max settings, I see absolutely no reason to bother with either of them for now, especially as I've grown increasingly frustrated with and tired of modern games since I built my PC.

• Like 1

I like to have exclusives, but I find it acceptable. Now if PS or Xbox told me their games would be exclusive and only had two or six then I think that is misleading.

I don't think either claimed that so meh.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 1:51 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

absolutely lamest generation i've ever experienced.. in innovation, artistry, technicals, and value (sorta).  i'm not anti modern gaming at all, but this gen blows.

I don't get excited over modern gaming. I will say the Switch has reignited my love for gaming. So much great stuff be it indie or Mario. I'm loving Mario Odyssey right now. I also have some cheap and short indie games I keep going back to.

• Like 1