IGNORED

Nintendo eShop Deals Thread

MrBeefy

@MrBeefy Yup you got that right, it's a small gamers crime what was done to Legends.  As far as Gameboy Castlevania games go, it's excellent, very well done.  This wasn't even a Konami decision in the day, as games unfolded it somehow caused a wrinkle one man hated that messed with his crack high of gamer love with his SOTN style going forward, Iga, and he decided that the game was to be in todays words 'canceled' and had the game scrubbed from the timeline, lore, and existence as far as the company goes because it just didn't fit.  It's a shame Konami after rightly pitching him into the wind didn't put this thing back into play with the collections as it's good, quite good, debatable better than #2, if not, a close 2nd.  Dracula X though on SNES is fantastic, gets such a bad unfair wrap from PCE CD hardcores that get those clinging to false stories about it partly due to the name alone it got outside Japan.  That game is an excellent late release pure classic style Castlevania which #4 wasn't with the changes it had.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@MrBeefy Yup you got that right, it's a small gamers crime what was done to Legends.  As far as Gameboy Castlevania games go, it's excellent, very well done.  This wasn't even a Konami decision in the day, as games unfolded it somehow caused a wrinkle one man hated that messed with his crack high of gamer love with his SOTN style going forward, Iga, and he decided that the game was to be in todays words 'canceled' and had the game scrubbed from the timeline, lore, and existence as far as the company goes because it just didn't fit.  It's a shame Konami after rightly pitching him into the wind didn't put this thing back into play with the collections as it's good, quite good, debatable better than #2, if not, a close 2nd.  Dracula X though on SNES is fantastic, gets such a bad unfair wrap from PCE CD hardcores that get those clinging to false stories about it partly due to the name alone it got outside Japan.  That game is an excellent late release pure classic style Castlevania which #4 wasn't with the changes it had.

I really liked Legends. I only parted with it recently because I felt it was dumb for me to be holding onto a $600 GB cart. I honestly thought the ending was great.

I think Dracula X has a few things going against it. 1) Rhonda is probably a little better, 2) It didn't get the new shiny impact that IV did, 3) Last game before SotN which many consider the best game.

Personally some of the GBA and NDS games outshine SotN but that requires people to play them more. I think them being on handheld hurt them.

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I really liked Legends. I only parted with it recently because I felt it was dumb for me to be holding onto a $600 GB cart. I honestly thought the ending was great.

I think Dracula X has a few things going against it. 1) Rhonda is probably a little better, 2) It didn't get the new shiny impact that IV did, 3) Last game before SotN which many consider the best game.

Personally some of the GBA and NDS games outshine SotN but that requires people to play them more. I think them being on handheld hurt them.

Yeah it did have that going against it, fewer release or at least are honest that Rondo = Dracula X, and SNES = Dracula XX, reading full translated content it's a gaiden/side story to the PCE game for Nintendo owners to enjoy, similar but not the same.  And that being the end of the line of normal and into SOTN it gets pounded for it too.

And definitely, the handheld games, of the 6 I'd argue 4 of them match or top SOTN (1 and 3, both GBA and DS.)  They take the formula and run with it in fantastic meaningful ways that just are more fun and potentially better polished than the original of the style.  Despite owning the original GBA games for instance, when that package hit Steam, I was all over it, and about a year ago despite having the original carts I found double pack for a steal up the street so I traded those out too. ;)  A good game is worth owning, upgrading, finding better uses.  I still do have access to SOTN, remarkably nice conversion on my mobile.

and when the hell did Legends hit 600?!  That complete?  I just have an undamaged cart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah it did have that going against it, fewer release or at least are honest that Rondo = Dracula X, and SNES = Dracula XX, reading full translated content it's a gaiden/side story to the PCE game for Nintendo owners to enjoy, similar but not the same.  And that being the end of the line of normal and into SOTN it gets pounded for it too.

And definitely, the handheld games, of the 6 I'd argue 4 of them match or top SOTN (1 and 3, both GBA and DS.)  They take the formula and run with it in fantastic meaningful ways that just are more fun and potentially better polished than the original of the style.  Despite owning the original GBA games for instance, when that package hit Steam, I was all over it, and about a year ago despite having the original carts I found double pack for a steal up the street so I traded those out too. ;)  A good game is worth owning, upgrading, finding better uses.  I still do have access to SOTN, remarkably nice conversion on my mobile.

and when the hell did Legends hit 600?!  That complete?  I just have an undamaged cart.

Yeah box and manual. It was like earlier this year. It sold in less than 30 minutes of me posting it. Iirc I listed it as an auction with offers. I might have started at $300 opening bid and they flat out offered $600. I remember finding it funny because that one GB game meant I had to do taxes on my ebay sales. My guess is you could still get a lot for just the Legends cart. It would probably get you at least $100 (just my guessing).

I just sold my GBA double pack in box for like $150 complete. No one has bit on my Circle of Moon yet. I haven't decided to look into what the DS games are going for.

I just beat Dracula X. It was okay. I saved both of the ladies. I have mixed feelings. It wasn't as terrible as people make it out, but isn't super memorable either.

I find it funny that so many hate Castlevania 2. It was really more the first Metroidvania and not SotN. I'm weird and like CV2, but get why people don't like it.

I need to revisit SotN and the two GBA games. I listened to a podcast recently that crapped on SotN. That guy never made it to the second castle and made a good point that if you didn't search out for it you could easily never know about it since they don't hint about it. On the flip side that same guynsaid Aria of Sorrow was way better than SotN.

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Yeah box and manual. It was like earlier this year. It sold in less than 30 minutes of me posting it. Iirc I listed it as an auction with offers. I might have started at $300 opening bid and they flat out offered $600. I remember finding it funny because that one GB game meant I had to do taxes on my ebay sales. My guess is you could still get a lot for just the Legends cart. It would probably get you at least $100 (just my guessing).

I just sold my GBA double pack in box for like $150 complete. No one has bit on my Circle of Moon yet. I haven't decided to look into what the DS games are going for.

I just beat Dracula X. It was okay. I saved both of the ladies. I have mixed feelings. It wasn't as terrible as people make it out, but isn't super memorable either.

I find it funny that so many hate Castlevania 2. It was really more the first Metroidvania and not SotN. I'm weird and like CV2, but get why people don't like it.

I need to revisit SotN and the two GBA games. I listened to a podcast recently that crapped on SotN. That guy never made it to the second castle and made a good point that if you didn't search out for it you could easily never know about it since they don't hint about it. On the flip side that same guynsaid Aria of Sorrow was way better than SotN.

Shockingly (stupid) in October(and before) $100-200 range game only, this month whatever the inexcusable but surely natural reasoning for sure 🙄 it's paying out at $300-330 at the top end.  Sad isn't it?  So you were right 6-8 weeks ago.

I picked up double pack at a HBP for I think it was $25, and at the time they had got this stack of manuals and priced them all at 99 cents so anything interesting I grabbed to match games I already had, and then that one.  I liked the convenience even if the cool art is gone, so I ditched the duo for the one, and I didn't have a manual for the singles anyway.  Cool one too, they reprinted it, then created it double thick with a flip, so doing a rotation of the book got you the other game leaving no wasted space.

Dracula X is quite ok, good even, with proper expectation of it being a rote 8bit style title with 16bit coat of paint and ear candy basically and does it very well, nothing more or less.  It's hard, but you can do worse.

Castlevania II gets hate because you needed Nintendo Power or a suffering first friend to get beyond the mistranslation layers over intentional misdirection, and just dumb crap that didn't really point itself out at all or you go for hours in circles bored.  It really was the template Nintendo wise at least for what was to come...Super Metroid, then SOTN, early bones but they're there.

Well whoever that dude is, honestly, he's right.  SOTN is grossly overrated, but then again various games that jumped ship in that decade to Sony kind of are because of the almost kool-aid level media they ran with it, doubly so having the media almost exclusively sucking them off while shitting on Sega and Nintendo to come off as cool and all that, decades earlier version of the scum you have now being influencers.  SOTN is good, it's a solid 8.5 game, but a 9 or a 10...hah no.  Guy's right, there like CV2 there's stupid gaps and no details, you can really miss a lot of stuff, especially the entire back half(hidden castle) of the game because someone just didn't tell you or you looked it up online which is bad design, and it has other quirks.  By the time the GBA games got one, and then DS too, they played it safer but smart with the tweaks on Circle, but once it dug deeper with Harmony and refined it to a masterpiece level with Sorrow (both GBA Aria and pt2 Dawn on DS for its 1st title) you can see just how lacking SOTN really was.  It's not a dig, SOTN is fun and largely well done, but it has problems, the Nintendo series of six mostly trump it...harmony and most definitely the fuckups in portrait are steps back.

• Like 1

Don't worry, I can do better than liking Castlevania 2 more than Symphony; I like Dracula II on FDS more than Symphony or Castlevania 2, loading times included! I actually really like that game, although I have not finished it yet. I know why people hate it (AVGN), but I've always liked it. Always is relative since I only started playing this series in 2019, but you know.

Too bad prices for used Dracula games in general are completely ridiculous, ebay or not, but it's nice that most of them have been made available again recently.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I think many people do not like the FDS audio on Dracula II and prefer the cart version. I love FDS audio, so that's part of why I prefer Dracula II over Castlevania 2. The loading times aren't really all that bad, honestly. I stopped playing it because I was having problems with my MiSTer, but I've fixed that now and I really should go play it again.

Oh yeah, I forgot something! This is totally not the place to ask, but did anyone else get the first Castlevania collection on Steam? I bought it like 2 years ago, but when I downloaded it the only thing that I downloaded was an empty folder. Tried everything I could think of, but I never got anything other than that empty folder, so I got my first Steam refund ever from that. Did anyone else have anything strange like that happen?

Edited by Steven Pendleton

19 hours ago, Daj said:

Donut Dodo is a tribute to golden age platformers like Donkey Kong. $4 now. I haven't played it but it looks interesting: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/donut-dodo-switch

Searching the forum, people who played the VCS version seem to like it a lot.

I bought it for Switch on release last week.  It's fun, but it's HARD. (at least it is for me)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Final Vendetta is $12.49 now on Switch and Steam, I believe through the end of February.

I really enjoy this one - it's not Streets of Rage 4, but then what is?  It's got a neat art style, excellent combat mechanics and AI, incredible soundtrack.  It's a bit short (half hour or so, only 6 stages), and there are only 3 playable characters.  But again, it's a nice brawler diversion that I am really enjoying.

• 3 months later...

Demon’s Rise: Lords of Chaos ($1.99 from $7.99 until 6/12)
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth CE ($9.99 from $49.99 until 6/12)
Naruto Shippuden Ult. Ninja Storm 3 ($3.99 from $19.99 until 6/12) 

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot + ANPA Set ($19.79 from $59.99 until 6/12)
Dragon Ball: The Breakers SE ($14.99 from $29.99 until 6/12)
One Piece Unlimited World Red Deluxe ($3.99 from $39.99 until 6/12)
Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions ($14.99 from $59.99 until 6/12)
Taiko no Tatusjin Rhythmic Adv. 2 ($14.99 from $29.99 until 6/12)
Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythm Fest Deluxe ($35.74 from $54.99 until 6/12)
Doraemon Story of Seasons FotGK Special ($41.99 from $59.99 until 6/12)
Mail Mole + Expansions ($7.49 from $14.99 until 6/19)
Kosmonavtes: Escape Reality ($1.99 from $3.99 until 6/19)
Kosmonavtes: Academy Escape ($1.99 from $5.99 until 6/19)
Panmorphia ($1.99 from $5.99 until 6/19)
Panmorphia: Awakened ($2.99 from $6.99 until 6/19)

Panmorphia: Enchanted ($1.99 from $3.99 until 6/19)
DobbyxEscape: Spooky Adventure ($2.99 from $3.99 until 6/19)
Scribblenauts Mega Pack ($5.99 from $39.99 until 6/19)
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate ($8.99 from $59.99 until 6/19)
Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath DLC ($11.99 from $39.99 until 6/19)
LEGO DC Super-Villains Deluxe ($11.24 from $74.99 until 6/19)
LEGO City Undercover ($5.99 from $29.99 until 6/19)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes ($19.99 from $39.99 until 6/19)
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Deluxe ($8.99 from $44.99 until 6/19)
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga ($23.99 from $59.99 until 6/19)
LEGO Jurassic World ($7.99 from $39.99 until 6/19)
The LEGO Movie 2 Videogame ($5.99 from $39.99 until 6/19)
Yooka-Laylee ($3.99 from $39.99 until 6/19)
Blood Will Be Spilled ($1.99 from $14.99 until 6/19)
Feudal Alloy ($1.99 from $16.99 until 6/19)
Port Royale 4 ($24.99 from $24.99 until 6/19)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...