IGNORED

Nintendo eShop Deals Thread

MrBeefy

5 hours ago, Daj said:

Sega Ages are some of my favorites, but I already got them all. Looks like some are cheaper than ever now.

I have been hesitant to pick up most of them since the ones that I really wanted all have better versions on other systems (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Out Run, Thunder Force IV, etc.), but over time I did eventually get most of the ones that I want aside from Out Run and Herzog Zwei. I did finally get Herzog Zwei yesterday, though, even though I already have a Japanese Mega Drive copy (the reason that I didn't get the Sega Ages release for so long) and can even play it on a handheld because of the Nomad, as I had enough unspent eshop credit and gold coins for it.

Now just Out Run is left. Still not sure if I want to spend the cash to get the better but much more expensive Japanese Saturn version, which remains the best version of Out Run even now, for my beloved Saturn, which is one of my favourite systems ever, or be ultra cheap and get the Sega Ages version. This sale does not apply to the Japanese eshop and I can't simply add credit to the US eshop without buying one of those prepaid cards from Amazon and ending up wasting money, though, or I'd have bought Out Run instead of Herzog Zwei without hesitation.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I have been hesitant to pick up most of them since the ones that I really wanted all have better versions on other systems (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Out Run, Thunder Force IV, etc.)

That's debatable, Out Run for example adds additional music, fixes some graphical bugs, and so on. They all include some unique features, so even allowing that they aren't the "best" versions you do at least get some new stuff to play with. There are leaderboards for any game it makes sense for, if that's any kind of draw.

I'm pretty sad that Sega Ages died prematurely... they made some odd choices of games to include and omitted some obvious choices. You'd think bringing over the rest of the games that were in the 3DS series at least would be free money. And it probably killed the idea of getting anything similar any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asaki said:

Oh, I didn't know those got re-released.

It was on XBox too, BTW.

Yeah I remember, PS2 too, aggravatingly the sequel only went to those two.  The GC version sold nicely too, but by that point some developers were being a-holes about the Cube in its last 2 years and stopped putting out sequels to stuff still which really sucked.  I would have bought it, instead I've never enjoyed it, so I'm hoping this moves well and that sequel hits Nintendo finally decades later.

Admittedly though it's aggravating it's a walled garden release, bizarrely not put on Steam(PC) I would have preferred it there.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I remember, PS2 too, aggravatingly the sequel only went to those two.  The GC version sold nicely too, but by that point some developers were being a-holes about the Cube in its last 2 years and stopped putting out sequels to stuff still which really sucked.  I would have bought it, instead I've never enjoyed it, so I'm hoping this moves well and that sequel hits Nintendo finally decades later.

Admittedly though it's aggravating it's a walled garden release, bizarrely not put on Steam(PC) I would have preferred it there.

Don't get your hopes sky high for the sequel, it wasn't developed by the same team (same publisher IIRC but different team) and IMO misses some of the quality and feel of the original BG: DA.  SnowBlind Studios went on to do the Champions of Norrath games for PS2, War in the North for Xbox 360, and a mildly amusing OG Xbox Justice League game in between those projects.

• Like 1

Valkyria Chronicles is on sale on both the US and Japanese eshops. I imagine it's also on sale in other places as well, so go check your country's eshop and buy this beautiful game if you don't have it already. The Switch version is not the best version of the game (that's actually the PS4 version, which is actually slightly better than even the PC version), but having played it multiple times on both PS4 and Switch, I can say that the Switch version does have some slowdown, but it's not something that's going to negatively affect the game and it's fine for the hardware. It's easy as hell for a strategy RPG, but it's so good that that does not bother me at all and there are those challenge missions that are considerably more difficult. Probably one of the single best games Sega has ever made and everyone needs to play it.

Forgot to mention that there is sadly no physical Switch version, so if you want it on Switch, eshop is the only way to buy it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

lol Syberia 1 & 2 is 94% off on the US eshop right now. These 2 games are on basically every system that exists except for the ones that they are not on and I think they were free on GOG like last month or something, but if you want them on Switch for less than $2, here they are. I don't typically go on the eshop because I don't typically like digital games, but there have been some interesting sales on things that are only available digitally recently, like Sega Ages, so I figured I'd check again. I think I'll finally buy Out Run and Fantasy Zone since they are so cheap right now.

8 hours ago, digdugnate said:

If you didn't know this already, the JP rom for Castlevania 1 (Castlevania collection) has an 'easy' difficulty.  You don't get knocked back when you get hit by a baddie.

Screw easy difficulty. That's for chumps!

I very well may use it! ?

The next time the younger bro is over I'm sure we will fire up Contra 3 on hard difficulty.

Edited by MrBeefy
Web catching typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, digdugnate said:

If you didn't know this already, the JP rom for Castlevania 1 (Castlevania collection) has an 'easy' difficulty.  You don't get knocked back when you get hit by a baddie.

Yeah, that was added to the (relatively uncommon and now definitely expensive as hell) cartridge version. FDS version doesn't have that at all and the FDS version is slightly easier than the international cartridge version. I think the Famicom cartridge version's normal mode is basically the same as the FDS version minus the ability to save. One upgrade that is exclusive to the Famicom cart version is that at the end of a stage the game counts your hearts at a much faster rate than either the international cartridge versions or the FDS version.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 2:44 AM, Tanooki said:

Same here about the shop.  I wish I knew what games were ONLY on that system and also ONLY digital.  It would be handy knowing this before seeking physical, or at  worst the GOG/Steam equal since it’ll carry forward more years than Switch will.

I knew I forgot someone...

Yeah, that and the fact that the eshop itself is just annoying to use. It's so unbelievably unresponsive that I worry that it will crash just from attempting to scroll through the list of 6 trillion games that have flooded it over the past year and a half or so.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I knew I forgot someone...

Yeah, that and the fact that the eshop itself is just annoying to use. It's so unbelievably unresponsive that I worry that it will crash just from attempting to scroll through the list of 6 trillion games that have flooded it over the past year and a half or so.

Very true...the digital thing goin on there, they do fairly well but that current iteration of the eshop is utter crap compared to the one that ran on that dumpster fire of a WiiU.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:44 AM, Tanooki said:

Same here about the shop.  I wish I knew what games were ONLY on that system and also ONLY digital.  It would be handy knowing this before seeking physical, or at  worst the GOG/Steam equal since it’ll carry forward more years than Switch will.

Dekudeals.com is good for that, although it's not automatic.

If you go to any game page, it will show you:

• If the game is available on another game system platform (Microsoft Xbox, Sony Playstation)
  • If the game is available digitally or via physical cartridge.

I don't think you can do a search to restrict it to those options, but once you're on a Dekudeals game page, it will show you that information.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've seen the filter there, but I didn't think it actually would list download only, just download or physical, but not limiting to where it isn't.

I think you're right.  You can get that information on each game's entry page, but I'm not sure you can limit it when doing results...

On 9/30/2021 at 9:33 AM, Tanooki said:

Very true...the digital thing goin on there, they do fairly well but that current iteration of the eshop is utter crap compared to the one that ran on that dumpster fire of a WiiU.

Yeah, the eshop is very unresponsive. I actually tried to see if I could get it to crash intentionally just for fun, but it never crashed. The 3DS eshop was super awkward to navigate and it sometimes was kind of slow to load and the Wii U eshop was mostly okay aside from it being attached to the Wii U, but the Switch eshop is probably the single worst digital game store I have ever seen. I don't really remember the Wii Shop Channel, but that's dead now anyway.

The Wii shop wasn't great either, bland, wasn't fast, didn't section off stuff any better than the DSi or really 3DS did.  WiiU was an utter turd but the eshop had the best layout, no reason they shouldn't have kept it.  Of all things Nintendo did, it was the one where the old 'don't mess with it if it's not broke' applies there.