IGNORED

Nintendo eShop Deals Thread

MrBeefy

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

All the way into the gutter.

The Dreamcast 2 WILL RISE!!!!

The Xbox was supposed to be basically the Dreamcast 2, with complete backwards compatibility for all Dreamcast games, but the deal never went through for some reason. That's as close as it will ever get.

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The Xbox was supposed to be basically the Dreamcast 2, with complete backwards compatibility for all Dreamcast games, but the deal never went through for some reason. That's as close as it will ever get.

That's okay. The mothership will be by to take all the Saturnians home soon.

38 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

That's okay. The mothership will be by to take all the Saturnians home soon.

Ironically, the Saturn has a much better library than the Dreamcast, or pretty much anything else other than PC, for that matter. Basically nobody knows that since pretty much none of those awesome Saturn games left Japan, though, so don't tell anyone so it can be our secret~

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I recently got a game called Swordbreaker for pennies. Might still be on sale if you own the right game.

If you like those old choose your own adventure where you die every other choice, then you might like this. Story is very very light and nothing to write home about.

I would not pay full price, unless you just love the idea of a video game choose your own adventure.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/swordbreaker-the-game-switch/

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I recently got a game called Swordbreaker for pennies. Might still be on sale if you own the right game.

If you like those old choose your own adventure where you die every other choice, then you might like this. Story is very very light and nothing to write home about.

I would not pay full price, unless you just love the idea of a video game choose your own adventure.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/swordbreaker-the-game-switch/

It's 5 cents if you own certain other (or possibly ANY other) games by the publisher, Drageus games. https://www.nintendo.com/search/?cat=gme&f=softwarePublisher&softwarePublisher=Drageus Game

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DavidD said:

It's 5 cents if you own certain other (or possibly ANY other) games by the publisher, Drageus games. https://www.nintendo.com/search/?cat=gme&f=softwarePublisher&softwarePublisher=Drageus Game

Bridge Strike is like River Raid. I haven't played very much of it so I don't know if it's any good.

Usually around this time of year with black friday and one earlier part a D&D tabletop style game called Warlock of Firetop Mountain goes from like $30 down to $1-3 on Switch, might be as steep I think with mobile devices too, so it could be a good idea to keep an eye out if that's your style of game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Usually around this time of year with black friday and one earlier part a D&D tabletop style game called Warlock of Firetop Mountain goes from like $30 down to $1-3 on Switch, might be as steep I think with mobile devices too, so it could be a good idea to keep an eye out if that's your style of game.

I haven't played with all the characters in it but I have beat it. I really liked it.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It was the first book in the long running Fighting Fantasy series.

It's a veritable classic of the CYOA genre.

• Like 1

I'm aware of fighting fantasy, never really managed one before other than the free one they give you on the mobile app.  I liked the look of this thing but it was always kind of a joke to me for a digital game to go for $30 and kind of forgot about it until today again with the posts I've seen so I went digging.  It seems to pop up at a massive slash in price a few times of year and one being I guess the whole black friday season so that's just about here now.  I figured it would make a solid recommendation after watching as much of it as I have.

Yeah, it's one of those games where you'd think that they made the list price so high that they can make the discount look better.

It's well worth it when it hits 90% off though, so feel free to bide your time and snap it up when that happens.

In similar vein there's also Steve Jackson's Sorcery, another series of CYOA books of the co-creators of Warlock, but adapted by a different company. That's a bit more worthy of paying full price for as you're getting the equivalent of four game books in the package. Again though, you could stick around for a decent discount in sale.

• Like 1

That's my feeling.  It's on iOS(and android) and while digging I saw there were like parallel (differing companies) offerings of fighting fantays, one didn't rate so hot, but another which was a trilogy set seemed fairly nicely received and it's like $3 currently too, but it's very more on the book and paper side than animated like warlock is.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm aware of fighting fantasy, never really managed one before other than the free one they give you on the mobile app.  I liked the look of this thing but it was always kind of a joke to me for a digital game to go for $30 and kind of forgot about it until today again with the posts I've seen so I went digging.  It seems to pop up at a massive slash in price a few times of year and one being I guess the whole black friday season so that's just about here now.  I figured it would make a solid recommendation after watching as much of it as I have.

I got Fighting Fantasy Legends a few years back -- in the middle of the 3rd (?) quest/adventure, the game freezes.  Every time I try to load my save, the game crashes.  I e-mailed their tech support a year ago... no updates as of yet.

I don't feel like starting all over just to have my character freeze up 2/3 of the way through the game...

My most recent pickup was Super Blood Hockey.  It's like a recharged version of NES Ice Hockey.  It's fun and there are different skill levels so you don't have to struggle to get your first win.  You can also let the computer control your goalie which is great because trying to move your guys around while keeping an eye on your goalie was a big issue of that NES game.  It was originally $14.99 marked down to $2.99!

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/super-blood-hockey-switch/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That sucks... whatever the one which has been out there free for some years I tried before and it was decent, then the sold the other old FF games individually for some dollars each and I just never did bother as I couldn't see putting enough time into it.

Yeah. I mean, I'm sure it's a weird glitch, but it's annoying that there has been no effort to do anything about it.

Another game that is DECENT but suffers from issues is "SpelunKing: The Mine Match".  I tried it, and I like the game -- it's a "match 3" game mixed with Puzzle Quest and mild exploration (your view/character moves in the direction of the crystals you clear, allowing you to explore the level).  If you die in a level, your equipment is left behind, but you can return and dig bag to get your equipment.  The problem is that I can't get my character to PICK UP the old equipment.  I feel like it was originally designed for touch controls, but tapping your equipment bag does nothing, nor does clicking on it nor completing matches next to it.  As best as I can tell, there is no way to pick up lost equipment... there are various other bugs, too, like the fact that it is almost impossible to pick up loose items with the joystick controls.  I mean, the base game is actually fairly fun and interesting, but the port is horrific.  I emailed their support and they DID get back to me saying they'd pass the info along for the next update, but it's been about two months...

I have learned that AAA Clock (probably the best game on the Switch for sure, right?!?) has a sequel, AAA Clock 2, and that AAA Clock 2 is super cheap on the Japanese eshop right now. Given that our money is basically completely worthless right now and that probably every other currency in the world is more valuable, there you go! (Probably) No reason not to buy it!

Yeah, I'm pretty bored right now, but at least it's on topic.

On 11/22/2022 at 12:07 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Both Castlevania collections, the Contra collection, and the Konami arcade game collection are all stupidly cheap on the US eshop right now.

Got the first one.  So annoying.  Is there any reason not to have Dracula X be part of this collection?  Spoiler: No, there isn't.  So I have to buy the second one for twice as much money to have it on Switch and I get, what, just the three GBA games with it?  No SotN?  No DS titles?  Not that it matters because all those games are boring and interchangeable and I don't care for them.  If you can't fall to your death, it isn't Castlevania.

I hate when they do this with retro compilations.  They always hold something back so you don't have a definitive collection, and then they add in pointless crap you don't want.  Kid Dracula?  Who gives a shit?  If they weren't going to include all the real Castlevania games, they couldn't have rounded out the Adventure series and included ReBirth?

Other than that, though, it is a pretty nice comp.  Having the Japanese versions accessible through the menu is a nice touch, though there is no JP Simon's Quest.  

• Confused 1

On 11/27/2022 at 2:21 AM, MrTrust said:

Got the first one.  So annoying.  Is there any reason not to have Dracula X be part of this collection?  Spoiler: No, there isn't.  So I have to buy the second one for twice as much money to have it on Switch and I get, what, just the three GBA games with it?  No SotN?  No DS titles?  Not that it matters because all those games are boring and interchangeable and I don't care for them.  If you can't fall to your death, it isn't Castlevania.

I hate when they do this with retro compilations.  They always hold something back so you don't have a definitive collection, and then they add in pointless crap you don't want.  Kid Dracula?  Who gives a shit?  If they weren't going to include all the real Castlevania games, they couldn't have rounded out the Adventure series and included ReBirth?

Other than that, though, it is a pretty nice comp.  Having the Japanese versions accessible through the menu is a nice touch, though there is no JP Simon's Quest.  

The only Dracula X you need is Rondo, and that's not even on the Switch anyway.

• Haha 1