IGNORED

Why I am hesitant to buy a PS5

Rick Dangerous

51 minutes ago, zzip said:

I hoping the reason it hasn't gotten a patch is they're giving it the Demon Souls remake treatment.   It's one of the PS4's most iconic games, doesn't make sense to be neglected like this.

Lets hope thats the reason.  I've been wanting to play Bloodborne for a long time.  Its one of those games that I easily forget about.  When I hear Brian Altano talk about it on Ign's beyond podcast from time to time it makes me glad that I have a game like that waiting for me someday.

• 1 year later...

I never did wind up getting a PS5 and probably won't at this point.  There are just no "system-selling" games that I'm interested in. The last couple of years I've been been busy with my Steam Deck, Switch, Analogue Pocket, and retro consoles....with a little PS4/Xbox One backlog thrown in here and there.  I didn't get a Series S/X for the same basic reasons, minus VR.  A VERY underwhelming Gen overall IMO. 

The main reasons?  No new Uncharted or The Last of Us.   Also....my fears were realized with PSVR 2.  I went to the trouble of building up a sizeable PSVR library, and had the PSVR 2 been fully backwards compatible...I more than likely would have bought one, just to keep building on that library.  But nope....what a waste, and I'm sure that has impacted sales numbers.  Sony also pulled another Vita and dropped AAA development shortly after launch.  This article is a good breakdown of everything that has transpired:

https://www.ign.com/articles/a-year-since-its-release-sony-seems-to-have-abandoned-playstation-vr2

It's a shame because it is a nice piece of hardware...maybe opening up PC compatibility will be good for it/Sony? 

40 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I never did wind up getting a PS5 and probably won't at this point.  There are just no "system-selling" games that I'm interested in. The last couple of years I've been been busy with my Steam Deck, Switch, Analogue Pocket, and retro consoles....with a little PS4/Xbox One backlog thrown in here and there.  I didn't get a Series S/X for the same basic reasons, minus VR.  A VERY underwhelming Gen overall IMO. 

The main reasons?  No new Uncharted or The Last of Us.

I don't need an Uncharted or TLOU,  but I just haven't seen any PS5 games that truly feel Next Gen, other than the Astrobot Tech demo that comes with PS5 (which is amazing).  Everything else feels like a slightly enhanced PS4 game.  4K graphics?  Great!  But you stop noticing resolution once you are immersed in the game.

45 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Also....my fears were realized with PSVR 2.  I went to the trouble of building up a sizeable PSVR library, and had the PSVR 2 been fully backwards compatible...I more than likely would have bought one, just to keep building on that library.  But nope....what a waste, and I'm sure that has impacted sales numbers.  Sony also pulled another Vita and dropped AAA development shortly after launch.  This article is a good breakdown of everything that has transpired:

I knew there was no way the PSVR2 was going to be backwards compatible.   The tech is too different.    But I wish there were more PSVR1 games that had PSVR2 upgrades available.    That's the main reason I haven't upgraded to PSVR2

The PSVR1 was also constantly plagued with rumors that Sony was abandoning it.   Sony was only releasing one or two significant PSVR1 first party titles per year, and most of those didn't quite rise to the level of AAA,   So lack of PSVR2  AAA games isn't shocking.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zzip said:

I knew there was no way the PSVR2 was going to be backwards compatible.   The tech is too different.    But I wish there were more PSVR1 games that had PSVR2 upgrades available.    That's the main reason I haven't upgraded to PSVR2

This is what they should have done...release a patch for each PS4 PSVR games to make them work with PSVR 2 tech.  You know...for the 5 million people that invested in the first PSVR.  How are people supposed to feel comfortable investing $1000+ in a PS5+PSVR 2 (whether they own the first PSVR or not) not knowing if the entire setup is going to be functional for only one gen.  To be honest I probably would have STARTED with a PC VR setup, had I known PSVR would be a one-gen only device.  Just stupid on Sony's part to do things this way. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

This is what they should have done...release a patch for each PS4 PSVR games to make them work with PSVR 2 tech.  You know...for the 5 million people that invested in the first PSVR.  How are people supposed to feel comfortable investing $1000+ in a PS5+PSVR 2 (whether they own the first PSVR or not) not knowing if the entire setup is going to be functional for only one gen.  To be honest I probably would have STARTED with a PC VR setup, had I known PSVR would be a one-gen only device.  Just stupid on Sony's part to do things this way. 

The PSVR1 is compatible with PS5 still, and some PSVR1 games even look better on a PS5.   No Man's Sky for instance looks great, and not the blurry mess it was running on the PS4 which couldn't render the game at the full PSVR1 resolution much of the time.   So there's that.  And that's one of the few PS5 aspects that I'm pleased with.  And as long as the PS5 can play my PSVR1 library and the VR2 can't, it makes the VR2 a hard sell for me.

I understand why it had to be this way, much of the tech in VR2 wasn't even available when VR1 was released,  and Sony reused the Move controllers to keep costs down.   When PSVR1 released, it was a bargain next to any PC headset.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I feel the same way.  I liked PSVR, but I wish I had known it would have been a dead end.  Oh well, I waited for a sale for PSVR, and it was worth it for what I got, but I TOTALLY would have been more likely to get PS5 had the PSVR2 transition been handled better.  Still have not pulled the trigger on PS5 as a result.

I did get both an XBOX Series S and X, but I only bought the S because it was half price, and I waited until my original XBox One died to get the X.  I considered getting out of physical media completely, but I have too many XOne games for that to make sense.  If my PS4 dies, I may face the same decision.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, zzip said:

No Man's Sky for instance looks great, and not the blurry mess it was running on the PS4 which couldn't render the game at the full PSVR1 resolution much of the time

And that's a lot! Also Star Wars Squadrons felt like this too. And looking around the X-Wing cockpits in VR you couldn't do without it, really frickin awesome.